Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 3rd Annual GSCC Backpack Giveaway

Back to School Time is Approaching!!
    Time to Start Planning our
    3rd Annual BackPack and School Supply Giveaway
    August 29, 2010
    We are calling on the "Friends of GSCC" again to assist with this very important event. We plan on distributing approximately 150 fully stocked backpacks this year and we hope that our supporters can find it in their heart to donate either cash or items from the list below. Any amount or quantity will help us. Our budget is very limited, but the need is growing. We want to help the children get a good start in their school year.

Many stores like WalMart have begun their school supply sales and items can be purchased for really low prices. These sales change week to week, but supplies will diminish quickly.

More information on the 3rd Annual BackPack and School Supply Giveaway will be forthcoming in the near future, but please try to help us out if you can.

To donate goods, choose from the list below and call Mark at 313-452-0684 or Phyllis at 586-915-8946 to arrange for pick-up or drop-off at the Garden.

To donate through Paypal please go to our blog: georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com

Or mail your donation to:
    GSCC
    BackPack Giveaway
    9352 Georgia Street
    Detroit, Michigan 48213

NOTE: If you would like a receipt for income tax purposes,
    be sure to include your full name and address and one will be mailed to you.

SUPPLIES NEEDED ARE:
    Backpacks, Youth and Teen Sizes, Boys and Girls
    Lined Notebook Paper
    Spiral Notebooks
    Pencils
    Erasers
    Pens
    Crayons
    Color Pencils
    Rulers
    School Glue
    Markers
    Highlighters
    Pen/Pencil Bags
    2-Pocket Folders
    1" Ring Binders

Check our website for updates:

www.georgiastreetcc.com

Thanks for reading...and whatever help you can offer!

LodgeDodger Guest

Thank you for the info, Blue.

Another great event by Blue, Cub and crew. Again this year, I'll completely outfit a new backpack for a 13 yr old female. Plus I'll shop garage sales and thrift stores for another 4 or 5 lightly used backpacks.

With the whole gang colors thing, do you have any advice on which colors to avoid?

Gang colors are not a problem, Gnome, according to Cub...so anything you find we will use.

I picked up a few things at Walmart today...24 box of crayons are 25 cents...spiral notebooks are 15 cents...24 Dixon pencils for 94 cents...elmers glue for 25 cents...backpacks for $9.00.
    These are great bargains for those who may be thinking about donating. Less than $20 will cover a backpack and most supplies.

I also saw Staples is beginning their school supply sales. Please keep an eye out for any relevant sales and let me know of them right away. I will do the same.

Happy Weekend everyone!

Saturday evening bump!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Happy Weekend everyone!
    Sent through paypal and also have a friend at work who may have some extra supplies.

You have a great weekend too! :-)

Picked up a few 1" binders at Walmart today...only 75 cents each....what a deal!

Thanks for letting us know about this. I just sent in a donation.

Thanks, Roq and Teddymac! 2-pocket folders at K-Mart for 10 cents each...no limit! And their backpacks are only $8.49 till Saturday!

Is it that time already? Gotta hit the sales and find some of the stuff I have hidden.

Was told by Cub today that Meijer's has a bunch of stuff on sale...some as low as 1 cent.

Thank you to those who have already sent in their donations and those who have promised goods!

Keepin' it at the top! ...at least for a little while :-)

Sunday Morning Bump!

Happy Tuesday!

Just about a month to go...Lots of supplies still needed. The day of the Giveaway we will be provided an End of Summer barbeque along with free haircuts for the kids. This event is open to all kids in need for as long as supplies last.

Blueidone, will you tell Cub that Joe made a donation for the backpacks last week or early this week through paypal but did not put what it was for. Thanks.

I will let him know...thank you very much!

I did pick up some notebooks,Gotta go back out shopping.Gotta email or get in contact with Cub, See if he can use some things I got.

Thanks Reddog...only a few weeks to go and donations are still needed. We could also use some volunteers to help pack and distribute the backpacks. Let us know if you would like to help out.

Funny thing I was just thinking about the giveaway.I need to go back out shopping.

Monday Morning Bump!

Happy Sunday everyone! Thank you to everyone who has volunteered to gather/donate items for the BackPack Giveaway. Please check our website www.georgiastreetcc.com for more information on the event. We expect to have a need for approximately 250 backpacks

For those who are donating items, please send an e-mail to georgiast313@yahoo.com and let us know what you will be donating. We need to know what we will have on hand so that we can purchase the remaining items before the 28th of August when we fill the backpacks.

Your continued generosity is much appreciated!

I asked and found out that backpacks, filler paper, binders and pencil boxes are still needed. At Office Max - 1" binders for $0.30 this week [[limit 6 though) and filler paper $0.20 [[limit 6 as well).

Wow, talk about longevity in a thread...what is this, the Garwood Mansion thread? ;-) And why did I only see this thread now???

I'm not local, so a donation's on the way, and you'll have to do your own shopping. Thanks for the time and effort guys, keep it up.

Thank YOU, Fryar...your donation is greatly appreciated. If you are ever in town, please stop by the Garden and say "Hi". Watch for pictures after the 29th and see the smiles on the kids' faces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast