Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lowell's headers

The panoramic photos Lowell B. has inserted into DetroitYes are absolutely beautiful and most appropriate. I marvel at each and every one. However, one caught my eye in particular because my idol made a slight error in his otherwise perfect portfolio.

This shot on the Detroit River has the horizon runnind downhill, from left to right. I've made that mistake on nearly every shot I've ever taken of a clear horizon. So for the heck of it I took it to Photoshop and gave it a level horizon, as shown in the second photo. Then it was just a job of cropping out the blank spaces, and......a level horizon!

Good Lord, this is not a criticism of Lowell's photography; the man is a MASTER! I just wanted to share a little of the magic available in Photoshop, a program I absolutely love to fool with!

Ok, Ray, we know your garage is crazy tidy, but really, walking around and straightening pictures on the internet is going a bit far.

I imagine you shake the crumbs out of the toaster after each use. True?

Ray, here's a neat trick in Photoshop for straightening pictures:

1) Using the measure tool, draw a line along the horizon or other plane that you want to establish as the straight lateral.

2) Go to Rotate Canvas under Image, and select arbitrary; the correct degrees of rotation to make the line you drew perfectly straight will already be entered. Crop the photo as necessary to fix the corners.

Ray, your confusion comes from the fact that this is not a picture of the Detroit River. It is Apple Island in Orchard Lake taken from the site of the former Orchard Lake Mystery Spot. It is a little known Detroit area trivia fact that this was the site of the original Michigan Mystery Spot aka Wachamilinigan to the native Americans.

A slight shift in the earth's magnetic poles brought on by the great solar flare storms of 1958 shifted the mystery spot away from Orchard Lake to its current location outside St. Ignace in the UP. However, remnants of the Orchard Lake mystery spot effect can be revealed by taking photographs from the former location as witnessed in my 'Slice of Detroit' picture that you chose to straighten.

The mystery spot today.

;-)

Alright, here is a contest for everyone: if it was up to Ray1936, what else in the world would he straighten or clean up?

My suggestion: that Tower in Pisa

A slight shift in the earth's magnetic poles brought on by the great solar flare storms of 1958 shifted the mystery spot away from Orchard Lake to its current location outside St. Ignace in the UP. However, remnants of the Orchard Lake mystery spot effect can be revealed by taking photographs from the former location as witnessed in my 'Slice of Detroit' picture that you chose to straighten.
    Er, yeah, that's why my pictures come out crooked too. Those darn mystery spots!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    if it was up to Ray1936, what else in the world would he straighten
    The Village People.

Alright, here is a contest for everyone: if it was up to Ray1936, what else in the world would he straighten or clean up?

My suggestion: that Tower in Pisa
    Attachment 6768
    oopsy...now see what you made him do?

No adjustment necessary!

Attachment 6769

dang, RTL gotta respect mother nature on that one.

JL, the Village People would be tough. Here's one from the files.

I just love this forum. Ray has helped me with fixing photos, and Lowell has shown me that it may have been the great solar flare phenomenon of 1958 that resulted in my tendency to lean, left in my case...

Dang, Apple Island, of course! That place has always fascinated me because of the legends of Pontiac having a camp there...unproven, of course. Oh, well, at least Orchard Lake is straight now.

The rest of you guys are hilarious, but I like the photo of Raquel the best. Sigh.........

Ok, Ray, we know your garage is crazy tidy, but really, walking around and straightening pictures on the internet is going a bit far.

I imagine you shake the crumbs out of the toaster after each use. True?
    You been peeking in the kitchen window again?

JL, the Village People would be tough. Here's one from the files.

Love it!

Notice Kwame's shadow is going in a different direction than the rest of the guys -- I think at one point Kwame was so important that he orbited around a different sun than the rest of the planet.