Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Former Berry Gordy B-E Mansion for sale

I wonder if Joe Jackson knows?

Other photos of former homes of Motown stars [[plus old city photos) can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/detro...-actually.html [[look at the bottom of the page for the houses).

Worth noting that while Gordy's old home is up for more than $1 million, a house just down the street sold for $25K:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/southofbloor/4459053416/

That house wasn't in the best shape and it was a foreclosure, but it does show the drastic ups and downs of real estate in the D.

Wonder if it could work as a B&B? Chinese consulate? lol

It sure would be a great B&B. But it would probably be hard breaking even on just that.

Perhaps a law office?

Does anyone know who the house was originally built for? I can't find anything on Google ...

From the Free Press "
    The Motown mansion was built in 1917 by lumber magnate Nels Michelson. It features Italian renaissance design and old world craftsmanship including a black walnut paneled living room and a marble-columned ballroom."
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...ale-for-1.395M

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    It sure would be a great B&B. But it would probably be hard breaking even on just that.
    I believe the rules in B-E would prohibit such a business. The homes are residences only.

I think this house will require many repairs [[obvious and less obvious). For instance if not recently wired, down thru the plaster in some cases [[to code) without full safety insulation were needed it could be fire hazard.

I'd like to know the age of the furnaces [[a house this size could have two)... historic is great, but "old" heating is not novel and is astronomically high! It would be a fortune operate the house full-out in the winter!

The Freep.com story includes a "walk thru" interior video and there is part where they are walking thru the underground tunnels you can literally "hear" water leaking sounds and they show the floor wet with a puddle.... take a look at vid here:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...ale-for-1-395M
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-09-10 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wonder if it could work as a B&B? Chinese consulate? lol
    Not the same as a B&B, but the current owner did make the home available for rent for special events . . .

http://www.motownmansion.com/pages/1/index.htm

Friends of mine owned the house next door [[one of the Fisher Brother's homes on Boston Boulevard) during the 70's into the 80's, while the Gordy's [[Berry's parents) still lived there. Berry, who lived in LA, used the house for entertaining while in town. My friends were quite the partiers; young, single and wealthy, [[chefs, actors, singers, etc) and the Gordy's did a lot of entertaining. It was quite a scene - lot's of fun. Parties often spilled over from one residence to another. Given these are all exceptional homes, owned by people who chose to live in Detroit for personal as well as professional reasons, the parties were pretty amazing. The Fisher home was a DSO Showcase home about 10 years ago, so it had a complete makeover.

There are so many gorgeous houses in this area but also many that are empty and boarded up. If I'm paying $1,000,000 for a house [[as if), I sure as hell don't want eyesores down the street.

In the Freep walk through, in the mansion's underground tunnels, it sounded like they were wading in the water. They may have the lights off so you cannot see the water damage on the walls

Yeah, there was some strategic photography and lighting for sure, I saw a plaster issues on a ceiling very fast in the upper floor shots. Replacing that quality of plaster with plaster is expensive. All they needed in that basement footage was an official water-tight gondola... water dropping, dripping "echo" sounds were very Venice to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    In the Freep walk through, in the mansion's underground tunnels, it sounded like they were wading in the water. They may have the lights off so you cannot see the water damage on the walls
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-09-10 at 04:59 PM.

Yep! Sure home is my castle but if I am paying that much I want a larger [[much larger) community/ area I can interact in, not behind a mote, knowing I must travel still far out of the parameter to feel safer when I buy my groceries, get gasoline etc. But it is what it is and I want to see this area do well, but that price tag is too, too high.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    There are so many gorgeous houses in this area but also many that are empty and boarded up. If I'm paying $1,000,000 for a house [[as if), I sure as hell don't want eyesores down the street.

The video with the noise of leaking water and splashing as they walked through the tunnels should never have been put on line...but any prospective buyer will see it all when they tour.

Yeah, I thought about that... the sound could have been edited out and the floor shots omitted, but truth in advertising is always best. Now any perspective buyer who sees this clip will be so far warned!
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The video with the noise of leaking water and splashing as they walked through the tunnels should never have been put on line...but any prospective buyer will see it all when they tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie View Post
    From the Free Press "
    The Motown mansion was built in 1917 by lumber magnate Nels Michelson. It features Italian renaissance design and old world craftsmanship including a black walnut paneled living room and a marble-columned ballroom."
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...ale-for-1.395M
    Here is a bit more information about the original owner:

Nels Michelson.
    Born in Denmark in 1840. Joined Danish Army and was captured by Prussia in 1864. After that war, he came to the US in 1866, eventually getting a job in Manistee working for a lumber company. He partnered with Erasmus Hanson in founding Michleson, Hanson Lumber Company in 1869. The company later moved to Grayling, Michigan and was renamed Salling, Hanson, & Co. He also formed other lumber companies to cut timber in other areas. One of his daughters, Karen, married a Major E. E. Hartwick. It was Karen who preserved and donated 8,000 acres of forest to Michigan forming what is today the Hartwick Pines State Park. By the time Michleson had the house at 918 W. Boston built, he was retired, the marketable timber in the Lower Peninsula was gone. He lived into his 80's.

Information distilled from:
    The city of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922, Volume 3

The grave of Maj. Edward E. Hartwick is in Woodlawn Cenetery. It is one of most touching memorials that I have seen. Below is a bio. and a snapshot of the bronze Headstone cover. You have to see it, it is under pine trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hartwick

It's so drop-dead gorgeous. It deserves to fall into loving and well heeled hands. Because, like the Queen Mary, this is a very expensive way to go. The projected listing price is a pittance. In Washington D.C.'s better neighborhoods, this is a 15 mil property. If only Detroit had the same buyers' base as D.C. or Los Angeles or Westchester County, NY. I hope the Michelson/Gordy house does well on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    The grave of Maj. Edward E. Hartwick is in Woodlawn Cenetery. It is one of most touching memorials that I have seen. Below is a bio. and a snapshot of the bronze Headstone cover. You have to see it, it is under pine trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hartwick
    I'm not trying to be a smartass but, what is so "touching" about his memorial? It looks very simple to me.

Marc

I love to hear about the spirit of entrepreneurship in Detroit's history, particularly in the pre-auto days. By the 20th century, the amount of small businesses [[with many that eventually became much larger) was both staggering and inspiring. It seems like Detroit was a very easy place to start your business life and make your mark.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    I love to hear about the spirit of entrepreneurship in Detroit's history, particularly in the pre-auto days. By the 20th century, the amount of small businesses [[with many that eventually became much larger) was both staggering and inspiring. It seems like Detroit was a very easy place to start your business life and make your mark.
    In general you are probably right. In this case Nels Michelson started his lumber business in Manistee and then moved to Grayling. He was 77 years old when he moved to Detroit and lived there for about 8 years before passing away. A lot of these stories are inspiring. He started out with nothing in 1867 and began working up from the bottom of the lumber trade and by the 1880s was a major player in the business.

The Boston-Edison mansion was quite an upgrade:
    1. Nels Michelson's Grayling Home:

2. Nels Michelson's Detroit Home:

[[I took both pictures).

Interestingly, BOTH houses are currently for sale!
    Last edited by DecoJim; July-17-10 at 10:37 PM.