Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Martha Reeves Follow-up Tease

Martha has her own "Friends and Family" plan. Tonight at eleven.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/Marth...1r4sUld9Q.cspx

detmich Guest

Martha has not done anything worthwhile since she split up from the Vandals.

All I know is that I'm really tired of all these links on things going wrong in Detroit.

Why? Because if I make the mistake of scrolling or viewing comments, it's always full in mainstream outlets of racial vitriol.

I reminds why we haven't gone too far as a region and why as a state our economy sucks worse than everywhere. The rest of the country has made way more progress, and we're expending too much thought energy on complete bullshit.

Retroit Guest

digitalvision, am I misreading your frustration, or are you more upset with the messenger of bad news than you are with the creator of bad news? If the former is the case, how are we going to solve our problems unless we identify them?

I'm upset with both. Both the story and the reaction disgust me. There's isn't an "either," it's that both are disgusting and not really acceptable in my eyes. [[I'm not upset with leland_palmer whatsoever)

It's not really the messenger though, it's the peanut gallery around the messenger. I don't blame WXYZ for having a vocal racist subset of viewers, it's the reality of the community. And I see very little want to fix this when I'm out in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    I'm upset with both.
    Thanks for this post. You expose the real reason race relations can't move forward in this region. Everyone needs a group to blame while claiming to be an innocent victim. Noone wants to look at themselves and see what they can do to better the situation. All any group in this area can do is throw around insults and blame. None of the groups in this area are capable of providing a true leader to bring us together, just more people that can keep us happily divided.

Amen DV! Not only is local mainstream media awash with code speak, it is filled with code choice. Stories are chosen for code appeal while little or no effort is made to search out the far more numerous acts of kindness and giving that go on every day.

As for Steve Wilson, I am still waiting for his three year old promise on this forum to take on insurance red-lining instead of some easy bottom feeding off a celebrity name. But then I guess that might enrage some sponsors.

This isn't blaming the messenger either. It is more frustration with 'being our own worst enemy'.
    Last edited by Lowell; April-27-09 at 01:11 PM.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Thanks for this post. You expose the real reason race relations can't move forward in this region. Everyone needs a group to blame while claiming to be an innocent victim. Noone wants to look at themselves and see what they can do to better the situation. All any group in this area can do is throw around insults and blame. None of the groups in this area are capable of providing a true leader to bring us together, just more people that can keep us happily divided.

How did this become about race? I watched the promo for the spot about Ms. Reeves, no where did I see any mention about race.
    Or did I miss something here?

Retroit Guest

How is this racist?

Are you suggesting that white people are less tolerating of corruption that black people?

Retroit Guest

You beat me to it Stosh. Boy, am I slow! 4 minutes!

As I mentioned in my post, I made the mistake of wandering into the weeds of the comment section, hence the focus on race once I read pages of said comments.

Most blogs I read have really constructive comments and so it's a habit; the ones from news outlets in this town are filled with negativity and vitriol.

Retroit Guest

Now I see what you meant. I never read those comments.

LodgeDodger Guest

I, for one, love Steve Wilson's reporting. I'll never understand why an elected official in this area does wrong with that guy on the beat. You know it's going to be a bad day for an official when they see Steve Wilson parked out front, waiting for an interview.

diver1369 Guest

Well, I hope Steve has done his homework this time and has some actual documentation to back up his charges rather than conjecture.

A story in The Atlantic recently said chat rooms, forums and comment sections are nothing more than: "an unedited legitimization of stupidity and bigotry."
    Last edited by BShea; April-27-09 at 02:14 PM. Reason: type!

lilpup Guest

I have to say, in all honesty, I wondered why the heck she was playing an engagement in SF when I saw the ad for it online at the time [[April 14 - 19 in the Rrazz Room at Hotel Nikko). It made me wonder about her financial situation [[as if Councilmembers are underpaid!). According to her website she has more concert dates coming up in June, including some in the UK.

I'll never forget her howling and screaming her way through the national anthem some four or five years ago at the Freep marathon. I never would have thought someones voice could have fallen as far as hers did. It was dreadful by every day persons standards, not to mention someone who was a successful singer.

It makes me wonder if she's actually singing at these shows she's doing or just lip syncing.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Amen DV! Not only is local mainstream media awash with code speak, it is filled with code choice. Stories are chosen for code appeal while little or no effort is made to search out the far more numerous acts of kindness and giving that go on every day.

As for Steve Wilson, I am still waiting for his three year old promise on this forum to take on insurance red-lining instead of some easy bottom feeding off a celebrity name. But then I guess that might enrage some sponsors.

This isn't blaming the messenger either. It is more frustration with 'being our own worst enemy'.
    We're not being our 'own worst enemy'. There's a lot of dishonesty in this city. Until officials in this town realize they need to follow rules, this type of story will continue to be reported.

Yes, I'm quite sure there are many acts of kindness in this city, but it's really hard to cover those acts when there's so much crap going on. What's the old saying about being up to one's ass in alligators when trying to drain the swamp?

Default No Lip-syncing

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    It makes me wonder if she's actually singing at these shows she's doing or just lip syncing.
    I think I can assure you--and you'll have no doubt when you see the clip--she was NOT lipsyncing.

Not a good day for Ms. Reeves.
    She's getting sued for wrongful dismissal and calling a staff member a cracker and using other racial insults.

http://freep.com/article/20090427/NE...+Martha+Reeves

http://detroitnews.com/article/20090...gful+dismissal

"Chain, chain, chaaaaaaain......chain of fools!" - Barack Obama

Stosh Guest

It's obvious that the MSM outlets are havens for trolls of every ilk imaginable. I'm surprised that anybody is surprised that this happens. It became obvious once Yahoo stopped the message board feature in their news stories that they would migrate to the local media outlets, as well as AOL.

I suppose one should thank them for continuing their sponsorship of the commentary. Imagine the carnage here and elsewhere if they cut their message boards out completely. Troll stomping would be Lowell's full time job.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Not a good day for Ms. Reeves.
    She's getting sued for wrongful dismissal and calling a staff member a cracker and using other racial insults.

http://freep.com/article/20090427/NE...+Martha+Reeves

http://detroitnews.com/article/20090...gful+dismissal
    Not sure if it was an un-indicated update or I missed it in the initial article, but it was actually Tommy Stephens that is accused of using racial insults against Carolyn Dianne Chambers.

Classic clip of the night:

Wilson approaches Reeves after one of her six San Fran concerts [[$50 a ticket) when she is signing autographs and taking pictures with people.

Wilson points out that it is not a vacation break for council, and they were supposed to be hard at work on the city budget, yet here is Reeves in San Fran for a week, performing. He asks her if she has anything to say.

Her only response:
    "This too shall pass."

Oh Lordy....

lilpup Guest

With that response he should have asked her if she was stepping down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast