Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Work on building at Michigan Ave and 35th

I rode past this building yesterday, at Michigan Avenue and 35th Street, and noticed a lot of work being done to it.

Google Maps shows that at one time, all of the windows were closed with cinder block. That is now being removed. It also reads Bargain Office Equipment in the Google photo.

The Michigan side of the building has "555" on it, like 555 Gallery. There are a few other buildings around town that are branded 555.

Any idea what's going on?

By the way, sorry about the crappy cell phone sunset photos.

The building on the corner of Michigan Ave. and 35th Street might be for a future lofts and art gallery in a almost deteriorated Michigan Ave. and Junction St. Commerical District. This is great news in SW Detroit area.

WORD FROM STREET PROPHET

There is life in a dead city.

Ready?! From Model D:

Historic Kahn warehouse to be reborn as integrated health care center on Michigan Ave.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

A historic warehouse designed by architect Albert Kahn will be revitalized and updated into an about $11 million integrated health care center that will provide primary medical, pediatric, obstetric, dental, psychiatric and behavioral counseling services to 7,000 individuals and families annually. Located at 5716 Michigan Ave. in Southwest Detroit, construction on the building will begin in March and conclude at the end of the year.

As to be expected with a project of this size, multiple partners are involved. Covenant Community Care will operate a community health center on the ground floor and Southwest Counseling Solutions will move its Children, Youth and Families division to the facility. CYF programs serve children who have a severe emotional disturbance, have been adjudicated by the juvenile court or are at risk of being placed out of the community due to behavioral problems. Southwest Housing Solutions is the project's real estate developer.

CCC's medical and dental operations will relocate from W. Grand Blvd. to the new Michigan Avenue site, which will more than double its capacity. The organization's administrative functions will remain at 559 W. Grand Blvd. Executive director Paul Propson attributes the need for additional space to the growth CCC has experienced since it transitioned from a free clinic to a medical center.

The Kresge Foundation awarded a $250,000 grant toward the construction of the center, which CCC was able to leverage towards additional funds from a Michigan Department of Community Health matching program, bringing the total amount to about $930,000 to invest in building costs. Additional financing for project includes a combination of tax credits, loans, grants and developer equity.

Additional space in the building will be occupied by a Women, Infants and Children office, and Oakwood Healthcare System has expressed interest in operating a diagnostics facility there. All services provided will be bilingual.

Source: Steve Palackdharry, Southwest Solutions and Paul Propson, CCC
    Writer: Kelli B. Kavanaugh

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/s...lth020910.aspx

is that the 555 that is relocating to Vernor @I75?

I found a rendering of the project on the Southwest Solutions website. Looks like it will be pretty nice. Somewhere on that site it mentioned that the building was a cigar factory at one time.

http://www.swsol.org/articles/Kresge_grant_5716

Nice that the small building to the left will apparently be a part of the project as well.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; July-07-10 at 11:29 AM.

I went in there and bought some stuff at one time. They had some old photos and articles on the wall in the office showing that it used to be a cigar factory. Pretty interesting old building.

Is 555 gonna be in there? Oh, man. Here's hoping they leave it in better condition than the last place they occupied!

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    I went in there and bought some stuff at one time. They had some old photos and articles on the wall in the office showing that it used to be a cigar factory. Pretty interesting old building.
    It was the San Telmo cigar facotry.

http://detroit1701.org/San%20Telmo%2...20Factory.html

It also housed the Boys Club at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Is 555 gonna be in there? Oh, man. Here's hoping they leave it in better condition than the last place they occupied!
    The 666 gallery is notorious for theft and vandalism......

Quote Originally Posted by 30th Street View Post
    It also housed the Boys Club at one time.
    Right you are! Another Kahn masterwork saved! They'd better take care of it...gggrrr! Here's what that block of Michigan looked like in 1928: [[br) = branch, [[mlnr) = milliner, [[hdw) = hardware.

Albert Kahn was really quite the famous architect.This thread is an interesting read.

I drove down Michigan Avenue yesterday afternoon and almost didn't recognize this building. It looks AWESOME with the new historically-designed windows on all the upper floors. This rehab project is really coming along. Hopefully it'll lead to better things for this stretch of Michigan Avenue. I wish I was able to take some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I drove down Michigan Avenue yesterday afternoon and almost didn't recognize this building. It looks AWESOME with the new historically-designed windows on all the upper floors. This rehab project is really coming along. Hopefully it'll lead to better things for this stretch of Michigan Avenue. I wish I was able to take some photos.
    The area of Michigan Ave is starting to take on a better appearance. The repaving of the roadway has helped a great deal, as well as the renovations of this particular building. the area in the vicinity of the old train station is starting to look more lively all the time. Hopefully the future of Michigan Avenue is more promising these days. Could it be the next lower Woodward Ave? An improving Detroit thoroughfare that recovers after decades of decline?

Portions of Michigan Avenue retain enough historical integrity in the buildings stock or enough modern, active businesses to fuel serious regrowth if opportunities are taken. This road definitely has more potential for commercial/redevelopment comeback and revitalization than say, Fort or much Grand River. Unfortunately, there are also some stretches of Michigan where the building stock is bombed-out, destroyed or just flat out town down, which will take some more effort to revitalize. If things continue to improve over the next several years, I could see this as a definite candidate for another light rail line. I wish I had been able to get some photos of the 5716 Michigan Avenue building.

Drove by 5716 Michigan yesterday, again without a camera, but this building is looking awesome! Props to Southwest Housing Solutions for making this commercial rehabilitation project a "go." Historic Preservation tax credits at their finest!!