Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default City Council Defines the Perfect Citizen

Almost missed this one...it is nearly at the end of the article.

"They embody what we look for in a Detroit citizen: selflessness, compassion, sense of duty and resilience."

There you go. James Tate serves up what it means to be worthy of a Spirit of Detroit award.

Seems the City Council has been ignoring another of their responsibilities: giving out these awards. Heck, I know 3 dozen people who should have one, at least!

Either that, or they are very discriminatory who they dole them out to...and I mean that in the most criminal way.

But the article is a nice plea for $10k...to help four graduates of Catherine Ferguson Academy to go to South Africa to teach kids how to garden.

I'd like equal time in the Free Press. I also know at least three dozen people and at least four groups who could use that sort of investment here in town...for the exact same purpose. A few of them are mentioned in the article!

[[indeed, reading into the first paragraph, I thought this story was about an entirely different project nearby)

If that defines the perfect Detroit citizen then the entire council has pretty much failed. Either that says a lot about council or it says a lot about Detroit citizens [[Insert any Belle Isle's a mess joke here).

You may not know it, Goat, but they make the biggest mess on the side of the island YOU see best. Is that IslandView Tavern still open?!

Yes. Abar's is still around. It is the last of the old "Rumrunner" Taverns on this side of the border that is still open.

That explains SO much.

They deserve a Spirit of Detroit award, then, too.

And as for your first comment, you don't see City Council giving these awards to each other, do you?! LOL

LodgeDodger Guest

I was very happy to see Mr. Tate helping out...sets a good example.

Sounds like the Catholic church