Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Door Hardware

Default Door Hardware

I have a good friend who has been far along on a renovation of an old house in Boston Edison. The problem is he needs some older door hardware. Doorhandles, hinges, etc. The existing doors have cheap hardware that do match the house's character.

He called me asking where he could get the hardware and I suggested Architectural Salvage Warehouse of Detroit, but apparently he and his wife tried that and didn't find what they needed.

Anyone have some good suggestions?

Old House Journal used to publish yearbooks chock full of vendors that sold every type of old house product/service you could imagine from repros to salvage.

There used to be a large place in Ypsi...it has been years since I've been there not sure if they are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I have a good friend who has been far along on a renovation of an old house in Boston Edison. The problem is he needs some older door hardware. Doorhandles, hinges, etc. The existing doors have cheap hardware that do match the house's character.

He called me asking where he could get the hardware and I suggested Architectural Salvage Warehouse of Detroit, but apparently he and his wife tried that and didn't find what they needed.

In addition to Architectural Salvage Warehouse of Detroit, possibly http://houseofantiquehardware.com/?

I'm still looking for an ivy-leaf thumblatch replacement [[the actual thumb-contact piece). You'd think there would be plenty on the market given the state of this current Detroit Demolition Derby.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-06-10 at 10:08 PM.

Check the few other warehouses that have arch. salvage. You may have to buy a door with the hardware on it which in this town is cheaper than just getting the hardware. Columbo on Newbern just north of the Davison and West of Conant is a good source. Also, call a few locksmiths to see if they haven't taken all their old stock [[which they've replaced) to the scrapyard yet.

Also, the guy at the antique store at Eastern Market occasionally has a box or two upstaris with old brass, but occasionally someone buys the entire box so the rest of us can't get any. He may also know where to go.

The brushed nickel ftom the 20's is increasingly harder to find. The victorian stuff in this town is all but gone, but that doesn't match BE.

Swing by the Cadieux farmhouse on Cadieux behind the Sherwin Williams @ East Warren. Dudes name is Steve. He's almost always therre in the mornings before 11. If not leave him a note. He may have something, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Here's an unusual idea. I was watching "American Pickers", and I had a thought. My dad was in the trades so I know a little about this: People in the building trades are invariably pack-rats. When replacing cabinets, carpenters would remove the hardware that would end up in the trash, anyway, and there it would sit in the garage for years and years.

Perhaps you could contact the carpenters' and/or cabinet makers union and ask if you could put a notice in their print newsletter and on line. Tell them what you're looking for and see if anybody has some spare hardware they'd like to unload. You could get a much better price than a commercial warehouse and you might find some other cool stuff, too.

Materialsunlimited.com in Ypsi has a wide variety of stuff, not cheap, but nice.

http://www.materialsunlimited.com/in...=&search_terms=

I don't like Detroit Architectural Salvage I prefer the Toleda one much more.

http://www.coolstuffiscoolstuff.com/...ID=11&pageno=2

As Materials Unlimited, yes they are quite expensive but the quality is second to none.

If your friend doesn't want to spend much just go to ebay depending on what he needs I find it to be pretty good.

Try Renovators supply...the website is at rensup.com. They will send you a catalog...and you will drool...buy bib before catalog comes. Old House Journal is great. My son got me a subscription for my birthday last year....

There used to be a place on Schoenherr called Schoenherr Salvage somewhere around nine mile. Bought some cool stuff. If the place is still there drive an old car and wear shabby clothes cause the owner gives you a price she thinks you can afford.

definitely hit up Senate Antiques, Tons of stuff in there

828 W Fisher Fwy
    Detroit, MI 48201-3342
    [[313) 963-5252

Across Grand River from Old Cass Tech

Excellent! Thanks for the help guys. I'll give this info to him right away. I know he won't get some perfect matches to what used to be in the house, but at least something more historic than what is there now will give some dignity to the place.

Gnome, thanks for posting that beautiful photo of the doorknob assembly. It's magnificent.

Here's another suggestion: Van Dyke's Restorers
    It's a catalog/online company selling replicas of period items. My friends bought some door hardware for their 1876 Victorian and were very pleased. http://www.vandykes.com/

Why WHY WHY? is aunt Clara from "Bewitched" on my mind.... I cant figure it out......sigh

Try this site. I used to get their old paper catalog and they always had great stuff.

http://www.crowncityhardware.com/index.html

I have a stash of hinges and doorknobs from a 1907 GP home. I would be happy to show them.

American Bungalow Magazine has wonderful ads, Crown City and Van Dyke were regulars when I read it religiously, along with many others.. Barnes and Noble carries it, if you want a chance to write down some possibilities from the back pages.