Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LodgeDodger Guest

Default Detroit and Windsor Bootlegger's Tour!

Preservation Wayne and the Detroit Historical Society are sponsoring a Bootlegger's Tour to be held Wednesday, September 29, 2010. The tour will take place on the Detroit River. This is the first tour of its kind and will be one of the best-ever tours! We'd love to have you join us!

LodgeDodger Guest

bump

Are these related to Steward McMillin's tours?

Does sound interesting. List prices and where to buy tickets. Sounds a bit like a tour Creekside used to sponsor that was a combination, van, boat and walking tour of the Eastside.

The Village of Fairview Historical Society will also be doing a tour this fall, dates not yet set, but Nick is a tremendous speaker and an amazing resource for eastside history. Nicks most recent lecture was at the TPlex. He finished his lecture and had a heart attack. Harper hospital did a great job and Nick is doing fantastic. His first question after surgery, was "did people like the lecture"? Now that is a real history buff!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    Are these related to Steward McMillin's tours?
    No, they're through Preservation Wayne and the Detroit Historical Society. I've never heard of this person...where could I find more info?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Does sound interesting. List prices and where to buy tickets. Sounds a bit like a tour Creekside used to sponsor that was a combination, van, boat and walking tour of the Eastside.

The Village of Fairview Historical Society will also be doing a tour this fall, dates not yet set, but Nick is a tremendous speaker and an amazing resource for eastside history. Nicks most recent lecture was at the TPlex. He finished his lecture and had a heart attack. Harper hospital did a great job and Nick is doing fantastic. His first question after surgery, was "did people like the lecture"? Now that is a real history buff!
    HEY NOW! This is the "Bootlegging Tour" thread. Stay on topic, Girl!

LodgeDodger Guest

Tickets are $55 for Historical Society members and $60 for guests. Call Preservation Wayne to purchase tickets: 313.577.3559

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    No, they're through Preservation Wayne and the Detroit Historical Society. I've never heard of this person...where could I find more info?

http://www.mcmillintours.com/

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Thank you, Pam. He sounds most excellent. Maybe I can take some of his tours very soon.

Oh, man, this sounds like fun! Wish I could go. Please take pictures, somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Pam beat me to the punch on that one.

If you haven't had the chance to take one of Mr. McMillian's tours, I highly recommend it.

He conducts his own tours and is very knowledgeable about the subject matter on his tours.

Hey LD how come Stewart McMillan can get a boost but I can't tout Nick.

Stewart is an amazing person too. His tours and lectures are most informative and interesting. He tends to specialize in what I call the core city. Picture the city bounded by Detroit's Grand Boulevard.

For people taking the tour they should read Estlemans book "Whiskey River". It is fiction but well researched regarding the rum running trade.

LodgeDodger Guest

Stay on thread, PEOPLE! This is my thread...start your own!

Better, sumas?

Default Interesting tidbit from that era

My Maternal Grandmother grew up in the home across the canal from Garwood Mansion on the river [[Greyhaven) in the early 30's and they had an enclosed boat well under the home and she told me stories of my Great Grandfather who owned a brewery from the teens until prohibition and how there was a false wall inside the boat house that was used to hide/store Booze smuggled in from Canada during the rum running days. The house was sold to the city under imminent domain in the late 70's. The old house was just a few blocks from where I grew up on Chalmers and I walked through the home when it was still standing back in 80-81 and sure enough the false wall and hidden room was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    My Maternal Grandmother grew up in the home across the canal from Garwood Mansion on the river [[Greyhaven) in the early 30's and they had an enclosed boat well under the home and she told me stories of my Great Grandfather who owned a brewery from the teens until prohibition and how there was a false wall inside the boat house that was used to hide/store Booze smuggled in from Canada during the rum running days. The house was sold to the city under imminent domain in the late 70's. The old house was just a few blocks from where I grew up on Chalmers and I walked through the home when it was still standing back in 80-81 and sure enough the false wall and hidden room was still there.

Any hooch?

Default here is a photo

My grandmothers home is the one on the lower left.
    Attachment 6750

LD you make me laugh, thanks!

Eastside, Grayhaven history is a subject near to my heart. You must be talking about the Koerber mansion. My info is that the family fought eminent domain and lost to the city. Talked to a PD&D guy with the city who was involved back in the day. He confided it broke his heart to see such a beautiful old home demolished for a pie in the sky development. Oops, that is where our mayor lives, behind two gates. So much for faith in Detroit.

Most of my research on east area history implies that the rich took care of their own needs but little organized crime had a hold. One exception might have been the unnamed island which now houses Mariner's Park and Lakewood East.

Just for fun my great niece and nephew are related to the Keywells of Purple Gang fame. I put together a folder of info for them but grandma wants to wait until they are much older to view. I respect her wishes.
    Last edited by sumas; July-08-10 at 06:52 PM.

Cool story EastSide Cat!

Default email address

sumas
    If you'd like send me your email address and I will send you a very detailed history of greyhaven and the Koerber Mansion.

This is the builders drawing of the home prior to the start of construction in 1924

Name:  Koerber Family estate.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  19.9 KB

LodgeDodger Guest

Bump.

Bump.

Bump.

LodgeDodger Guest

bump........

I am going on this tour. Someone called me today and said they wanted us to be there by 4:30 pm. Actually, they said the boat wanted to leave at 4:30, so we would have to arrive even earlier, say at 4 pm. Is that true LodgeDodger?

I remember reading somewhere that there are still some vehicles on the rivers bottom between Belle Isle and Canada where they didn't make it across the ice .
    And I also read that Al Capone was afraid of the Gang when he wanted a piece of the bootleg pie here and was turned down and its suspected the Gang was behind the St.Valentine Day massacre , not sure if any of this is correct .

A Detroit News archive story of the Purple Gang:
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=8

Yeah, I read that on Wikipedia the other day. They think it may have been members of the Purple Gang or something...back when that sounded tough, I s'pose. "Nyah, see. I'm from the purple gang, see. I say I'm purple. You got that, copper? Or are ya buggsy? Fine."

That tour sounds like fun, I wish I could go.
    Last edited by fryar; September-27-10 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast