Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's Historic Dance Culture

While looking for something completely different, I came across this ad from the 9-13-45 issue of the Grosse Pointe News. I know this particular building [[750 Alter) as a friend of mine lived across the street from it. It's a few short blocks from the Vanity Ballroom, and that's probably on purpose. I've heard of Ms. Arndt also, she danced on Broadway in the 1910s, and later, was a choreographer with the Detroit Ballet Company.

Was there a preponderance of dance schools around the Vanity? Was this area a hot-bed for dance culture in decades past? Were were the others? I'd love to hear some Detroit dance school. memories or other Detroit dance culture stories.

Kathy,

A fellow named Paul Strasburg managed the dance operations at the Vanity and Grande Ballrooms from the 20's through the early '50's.
    The Strasburgs ran dance academies in Detroit dating back to the 1870's.
    I am working on a book on the Grande Ballroom that profiles the Strasburgs.
    There was a very large dance culture in Detroit with many great ballrooms.

Leo B

The reason all those ballrooms were built - Vernon & Irene Castle popularized ballroom dancing in the 'teens, by the late twenties Detroit had at leat 10 major ballrooms.

Leo, glad to hear about your book project -

Quote Originally Posted by Leo B View Post
    Kathy,

A fellow named Paul Strasburg managed the dance operations at the Vanity and Grande Ballrooms from the 20's through the early '50's.
    The Strasburgs ran dance academies in Detroit dating back to the 1870's.
    I am working on a book on the Grande Ballroom that profiles the Strasburgs.
    There was a very large dance culture in Detroit with many great ballrooms.

Leo B
    I would love to read this book. I hope you can keep us updated on it and when it will come out. I have a big interest in Detroit's ballrooms, especially the Vanity.