Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Jeff Colby...

Default Jeff Colby...

I was watching Deadliest Catch on DSC Sunday and it brought back alot of pain...Anyone that watched that series knows Capt. Phill Harris died in Feb. this year....Been 3 years,,,Jeff left us in Feb. 2007.............
    This song they played,,Rain...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-P-vd5RC0..Yeah,,it reminds me of Jeff,,I have to explane.....
    I never had the honor to meet Jeff inperson....It's funny how you can get close to someone and wanna meet them,,then something bad happens....Life isnt a givin,,it's cruel at times.............
    Detroit.......Alot of history,,,alot.....Years ago,,and really,,not that long ago,,,,used to be the mecca of the industrial world...Detroit won WW2..You think of the factories,,and alot of you all have had your parents work in alot of places that are now gone forever....I told someone I worked with if,,and I pray we never ever have another war like ww2,,we wont make it,,there isnt any factories to put out like so many years ago...We are dieing cause of greed.............The factory I work at always have made in the USA on our products,,we went tru a tuff year,,but we survived.........
    The old empty buildings that Lowell shares with us on his pictures,,,each man and woman had walked tru them had a story to tell...Some are still there,,,just look around,,and you can see what they was saying...As Jeff understood................
    His love for Detroit and will to make it a better city,,to survive for generations on down to enjoy always inspired me....My hope and prayer............
    I never had a chance to thank everyone for giving in his name....But 1000 years from now,,I hope a child will be able to step on his brick on the river walk be happy and joyfull and skip into the day and laugh,,,,I hope on Belle Island a young couple walk up upon his rock,,,sit on the park bench and hug and kiss..A thousand years of snow,,sun,,and rain..I think that what Jeff always wanted from anyone in his city...To love and enjoy..
    Peace and love to all...........

If it is any consolation, we stop and say a prayer for Jeff when ever we are on the island.

I didn't, must have joined the forum shortly after his death. Saw the eulogies, know he was loved, amazing that friends and forum members paid for his boulder and plaque. Know who bought his house. Seemed like a very special person. I would have been honored to have known him.

Default shocked

I'm shocked to discover this message the day that I re-up to the forum. Besides having a wonderful lunch with Jeff, he helped me out a lot in my last visit to Detroit [[2004) by getting me permission to photograph CP's grill work at the Federal Building. Which is now a federal crime unless one has someone like Jeff on their side. It's surprising what a sense of loss I have given that I'm three years late. eek

Carpy, surely you didn't just LEARN of Jeff's passing?!

I had technology glitches and lost all your contact information, or else I'd have been in touch long ago. I couldn't even find the old website with the flags. Been trying for a while, although I should've just asked Andrew.

Good to see you back around...please tell your other half I say hello. Lots to catch up on, and I'm driving your way again soon. It has been a very curious couple of years.

I'm still processing Jeff's sudden departure, he certainly did leave a gap behind him.

Once in a while, someone here will chime in with a Manrooter-like quip or two. His spirit is not gone, not by a long shot.

Cheers

Well, despite Jeff's absence I see some other things have not changed around here. Ya try to be nice and suddenly you are in the middle of a fight. An international one, no less. eek

You are right Carp. EEK.

Never knew many of the people that I and others admire by reputation and deeds. Guess we shouldn't comment on religious figures, political figures, activists, our ancestors or any other personage we never met.
    Last edited by sumas; July-14-10 at 02:12 PM.

I think Jeff would find this whole thread funny, but I could be wrong since I was only 33.4% his friend. And that percentage could be off, because I never received a certification letter nor do I know the percentage threshold for "real."

Why bother expressing yourself on a forum if you think that nobody reading it will care about the person posting it [[one way or the other)? Might as well just read editorials on mass media websites.

There may be a hierarchy of interacting "in person", "in email", "in threads" and "none but appreciated from afar", but I doubt Jeff posted on here and other places with the hope that he would bond with or get the goat of nobody.

That said, stipes definitely posted while drinking.
    Last edited by East Detroit; July-14-10 at 09:05 PM.

I simply miss my friend and neighbor and his shit-eating grin.

That's it, nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    I simply miss my friend and neighbor and his shit-eating grin.

That's it, nothing more.
    Jams - a man of many words.

Quote Originally Posted by carptrash View Post
    Well, despite Jeff's absence I see some other things have not changed around here. Ya try to be nice and suddenly you are in the middle of a fight. An international one, no less. eek
    It wouldn't be the DYes we know and love otherwise. Welcome back.

Thanks English. Glad to find that you are still here, haven't died or anything. eek

Never a dull moment!!! I say, to each his own when it comes to dealing with the loss of a loved one. Nobody should judge how anyone handles this most sensitive and devastating part of life.

Jeff was a friend to so many, bringing people together in so many ways for so many reasons. I do miss him...and his smile...and his laugh.

Hey, Carptrash!! Nice to see you back on the Forum.

Hi Toolbox! Best to Meliss and the little one. Hope parenthood is everything you hoped it would be.

eek
    Did you see we have an emoticon for that now?

Quote Originally Posted by carptrash View Post
    Thanks English. Glad to find that you are still here, haven't died or anything. eek
    Nope! Still around, still teaching, just @ WSU instead of Cass Tech. Great to see you.

I'm w/ Kathleen. Everyone handles stuff differently, I guess. Wasn't as close to Jeff as some, but definitely counted him as a forum friend. Great smile, great sense of humor and perspective, and he even doled out some tough love to me a couple of times when I needed it.