Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fort Wayne event happenings

Just a quick mention of two very important events that we will be holding at the Fort in the next couple of weeks.

This weekend [[July 10th and 11th) is our fifth annual Civil War Days. We really would encourage you to come out and take in the history of not only Fort Wayne, but also of the men and women who were involved in the everyday life of a soldier/civilian during the period of the Civil War.

This is the first year that we will be charging an admission, which has become a reality in this day and age. At $3.00/person, it sure beats the ~$18.00+/person charged by the other historic interpretive venues around the state. All of the income from this event, minus costs, will go directly to our new revenue sharing plan we have with the CoD Rec Dept., which will eventually help us ensure that we will never experience the threat of the Fort closing permanently again.

Also, on July 17th, we are bringing a car show back to the Fort. Formerly known as "The Spirit of Detroit Auto Show", we are bringing this event back to the Fort after a 22 year hiatus. This event will also be contributing to our new revenue sharing plan, hopefully helping us to keep the place afloat. ALL of the $5.00/person admission fee will be going to help with the preservation of the Fort.

See our website [[www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com) for more information regarding these events.

Please try to come out and support these two fine events and help keep the Fort around for the enjoyment of others for many years to come!

bump

If you have never been to Fort Wayne, Civil War Days this weekend is a perfect opportunity to check it out. There are all kinds of fun family things happening, including an ice cream social, cannon demonstrations, and vintage baseball games. The website [[linked in previous post) has the schedule of events for both days.

I would very much enjoy this event but cannot attend... have to choose the occasions for which I can travel across the state. I drove over for family stuff last weekend so can't do it again this weekend. So, if there is a reenactor who is cast as a civilian postmaster, say hello to him. He's my bro and will be there with his family; they all love being at Ft. Wayne. He, his wife, and 2 of his 4 kids reenact as Civil War-era civilians. His 2 oldest sons are Union soldiers.

I hope there is a great turnout!

I went to Civil War Days last year and it was awesome! Definately going again this year.

please come out and support the Fort tomorrow!

Default Civil War Day at Fort Wayne - FANtasTIC!

My wife and I really enjoyed Civil War Days at Fort Wayne on Saturday.

Slideshow of Photos

The event runs today [[Sunday) as well... Battle Begins at 2pm [[ish)

[quote=DetroitPetanque;162547]My wife and I really enjoyed Civil War Days at Fort Wayne on Saturday.

Slideshow of Photos

Thank you very much for sharing your photos - I did not yet have a chance to look at all of them too closely, but it was easy to pick out my Union-soldier nephew: He is the invariably shortest man in the lineup. I did catch a bit of farby in a couple of the shots - the can of Vernor's in the cart, for example, and 'strike on box' matches in one of the tents. Ooops, not quite total immersion...!

My SIL re-enacts as a civilian CW-era woman and really works hard to get into the role, all the way down to hand-sewing all her costumes, even her bloomers. Yet, yesterday she sent a message to Facebook whilst she was at the fort. She must've had her phone hidden in her needlework. Heh.

Retroit Guest

Who won?...

Just a quick bump to the top. The Car Show is a go for Saturday!

Please come out to the event and help us to raise funding to help keep the Fort open and to help fund the continuous restoration projects the Coalition has been involved in. Every penny of the money collected at this event will go directly to the upkeep of the Fort.

Without your support, we can only expect more of the same threats as we recently saw with the City budget to all of our historic treasures. By attending this event, you DIRECTLY support one of the most important historical sites this state has to offer.

I'm looking forward to Saturday as a lot of folks have committed to be there with their vehicles and the weather looks like it will cooperate!

See you at the Fort!

Res

Bump for the car show...My car club is presenting the show,its been a pleasure working with Bob and his group.We are in this for the long haul,but the first year is tough!Looking forward to a great day at the fort! Dave

DRATS!! This is the same day as the Ford Restorer's swap meet at the Wayne Co Fairgrounds. I love Fort Wayne though and we'll try to pop in afterwards to see what is up.

PlymouthRes-we will see you at the Fort,tomorrow

Countrysquire...All the good stuff is gone at the swap by 9:00 am anyway,stop by after! I'll have my 68 country squire there...Dave

Detroit Firemen's Fund Field Day.
    Sunday August 15. 11:00 till 4:00.
    Entertainment and Activities.
    Free Admission . Parking $ 5.00

Car Show was great yesterdya,Thanks to PlymouthRes and crew!