Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Plants in front of train station?

Sorry if this has already been talked about, but who planted all of the landscaping in front of the train station??? And when?

A few years ago I saw some local volunteers planting. Don't recall who they were.

I drive by there often and only just recently noticed it. It doesn't appear to have grown in over time, almost like it was just planted recently. Or, maybe it was growing slowly and I didn't notice it.

Maybe the city? If they didn't, they should. It is a major tourist stop. I can't remember the last time I went by there that other people didn't show to take pictures or just stand in awe.

The only other thing I could think of is Moroun trying to put some lipstick on his pig.

Right, Lowell, because I'm guessing the plants are on city property. It's on the property right in front of the station on the other side of the road that runs right in front of it. I'm assuming that's city property.

Roosevelt Park planting aims to reflect Michigan Central's stature

Tuesday, June 09, 2009
    Funding from Daimler Financial in the amount of $35,000 will enable a group of Corktowners to plant the semi-circle section of Roosevelt Park immediately facing the Michigan Central Station. The total project cost is estimated at $75,000 including donated time and equipment from Classic Landscape Ltd., Urban Detail, Greater Corktown Development Corporation, Michigan Forklift and Los Pistoleros.

This planting is phase two of planned improvements to Roosevelt Park; last year the group planted the triangle of land at Fourteenth and Michigan. The long-term goal is to build an amphitheater and some type of activity center such as tennis or basketball courts or a skate park. "We see the city as lacking in green space," says Phillip Cooley, one of the involved residents and a partner at neighboring Slow's Bar-B-Q. "We feel this park has potential -- it used to be a grand space."

The planting will begin on June 12 and wrap up on June 19. The landscaping design takes the geometry of the facade of the train station as its inspiration.

Source: Philip Cooley
    Writer: Kelli B. Kavanaugh

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/roosevelt19509.aspx

Thanks, Pcm.

Wow, has everyone been under a large rock?!

This was news when it was happening, and I'm sure we discussed it here.

Some made fun of the hipsters doing gardening as an urban renewal project in front of Manny's Folly...but I saw Phil Cooley and his gang sweating their asses off during this project, and have never been more proud of some of the rockers I've heard at the Lager and Majestic.

Indeed, some I'd NEVER seen in daylight...heh.

Say what you will about the project...I believe some equated it with putting lipstick on a pig...but it DOES make that area look more inviting to more than the homeless tent dwellers.

And nobody can say that particular group of young'uns didn't get off their asses and actually DO something for this city. [[save that commentary for internet forum bloggers and other wanna-be journalists, heh)

Cheers

I second Gannon's sentiment. When I first saw the plantings last summer, I thought that things looked a little bit sparse, but once I got to see it more grown in this year, it looked very good. While the area still needs many improvements, this project made Roosevelt Park much more appealing than it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Thanks, Pcm.

Wow, has everyone been under a large rock?!

This was news when it was happening, and I'm sure we discussed it here.

Some made fun of the hipsters doing gardening as an urban renewal project in front of Manny's Folly...but I saw Phil Cooley and his gang sweating their asses off during this project, and have never been more proud of some of the rockers I've heard at the Lager and Majestic.

Indeed, some I'd NEVER seen in daylight...heh.

Say what you will about the project...I believe some equated it with putting lipstick on a pig...but it DOES make that area look more inviting to more than the homeless tent dwellers.

And nobody can say that particular group of young'uns didn't get off their asses and actually DO something for this city. [[save that commentary for internet forum bloggers and other wanna-be journalists, heh)

Cheers

There were a couple epic threads on it here. I'm surprised some people forgot about this. I've seen this twice in person now and don't even live in Michigan!