Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What was the deal with all the fireworks this year?

Is it just me, or did anyone else seem to notice like three times the number of fireworks stands all over the place this year, and from where we live around 8 Mile and John R/Dequindre area, TONS of fireworks going off all night, and I'm talking big stuff too.

In the nine years I've been in this house I can never remember hearing so many big fireworks, and so many of all types. Did the laws in Michigan change or something??

Guess July's rent won't get paid till august.

yes - too many - too big

I'm not sure if the laws changed but there were definitely too many that were way to big.

Buy American Guest

I thought anything that left the ground was considered illegal???
    Fireworks are expensive so I guess the economy in this area is booming!

Not much different in Lincoln Park. We watched beautiful fire works last night, from our front porch, that were being shot off in the northeast section of the city. Meanwhile, the dog and cat were scared to death of the noise.

I noticed the same thing where I live also...maybe people want to spend money on those things that they like and make them feel good because thungs are so bad....

The eastside of Detroit was popping as well! Like others mentioned, there seemed to be more than ever. They started just before dusk and went on for hours. Big stuff too!

There was definately more fireworks visible in Hamtramck than I have ever seen before. Things were exploding in the sky in all directions.

LodgeDodger Guest

Way too many? Never. This year it was fashionable to hate fireworks.

Ravine Guest

Some of you may think I am full of it; others may think I'm just being a prick, but here is my opinion.
    The authorities made a slightly bigger deal, this year, of announcing that we are not supposed to be using those high-octane fireworks, and because the Rule of Law is disregarded & disrespected, around here, just for the sake of showing that "nobody tells us what we can, or can't, do," folks made a point of blowing up as much fancy, loud-ass stuff as they could fit in their car.
    Some of the dumb mf'ers in this city would willingly risk serious injury to themselves, or to a loved one, for the sake of making that immaterial, adolescent point.
    And, as always in life: Small minds love big noises.

People like their fireworks. I don't think it is a deliberate "in your face" to the authorities rather a "we can safely get away with it" like speeding on the freeways. There are too many people doing it for the police to lay down the law.
    Personally, for the cost, I'd rather have a bunch of the legal fountains than festival balls or roman candles. You get a better light show.

DetroitDad Guest

This may mean that more people stayed home this year.

I went down to Ohio to get my fireworks, and it was amazing how many places are off the freeway along I-75.

Here is a website for one place off exit 6 in Michigan...
    http://www.fireworksfireworks.com/

clearly they are selling Illegal Fireworks, the law must have changed in Michigan where its legal for them to sell these fireworks and you have to sign a piece of paper saying you will leave the state within 48 hours.

The other thing is that I remember you used to be able to buy legal fireworks at the Grocery store, but the Illegal fireworks guys have just cornered the market.

As far as im concerned, the Illegal fireworks thing is just another stupid law that needs to be changed. Clearly states like Ohio gladly will collect the tax revenue from these places selling Illegal fireworks, why not make them legal to use.

What I noticed and heard was the level of illegal fireworks going off from various neighborhoods... like the huge cascading. multi blast, high reaching professional grade ones going off. These could be seen and heard from far distances rivaling the official firework sites for a few seconds here and there.

You'd hear and see the police wizzing by to seek the persons setting them off but that was useless as the people would just discard the stuff/ remains by the time they got there and pull out the hatmless sparklers and wiz-bangers! Not to mention all the fires there were set the cops and fire department had to deal with as priority....

Every year there are more and more professional grade illegal fireworks going off. Some used with tragic ends like the lady who lost her life in 2007 I think...when some fireworks morter's went off in her face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    Is it just me, or did anyone else seem to notice like three times the number of fireworks stands all over the place this year, and from where we live around 8 Mile and John R/Dequindre area, TONS of fireworks going off all night, and I'm talking big stuff too.

In the nine years I've been in this house I can never remember hearing so many big fireworks, and so many of all types. Did the laws in Michigan change or something??
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-06-10 at 04:11 AM.

I thought about that too as I saw the big ones shoot up above the roof tops, with the bright colors and cascades smaller yet similar to the big professional grade ones. Those could not be cheap... at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I thought anything that left the ground was considered illegal???
    Fireworks are expensive so I guess the economy in this area is booming!

Ok-I'm glad I was not just imagining this, it does seem there was far more this year than in years past.

So I like the comment that perhaps more people stayed home this year, but how does that account for the extreme increase in the number of stands selling the stuff? I assume these sellers have to have permits to sell the stuff. Does a city just hand out as many as come asking for them? Doesn't Hazel Park and Detroit have a limit on how many of these permits they hand out?

I just think it was excessive. There were two houses on my block blowing off stuff that sounded like the half and quarter sticks my ex used to buy at a party store in Detroit and blow up fish in a river up north with his crazy buddies [[not a bright bunch). I kept waiting for something to land on my roof and catch my house on fire. And as someone said above, the police can't do much, once it goes off it's gone and swept away. So no point in calling them unless something is on fire or a limb is blown off.

I just hope they realize how bad it was this year and try to control it BEFORE it gets out of hand next year.

The view from the south side of the river was... I'll say impressive, but I'm not sure that's quite the word I'm looking for... At one point, the entire skyline [[from what we guessed was down near Trenton, all the way up to the downtown area) was aglow with fireworks that were unmistakably illegal...

This was my first 4th living downtown, so I don't know what a normal amount of fireworks is in relation to previous years... But it was almost surreal how many fireworks we saw that night.

There was some talk about easing the fireworks law.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...f-%5C-ahhs%5C-
    "...Fireworks store owners were hoping the Michigan Legislature would pass a law this year that would have allowed them to sell more powerful fireworks, like those sold in Ohio and Indiana. But the bill stalled in the Senate after passing the House in May..."

This is an easy one -- my roommate pointed out that because of the Great Recession, people are taking fewer and shorter vacations. There are FAR more people at home this year around SE Michigan, and what better way to blow off steam [[and in some cases, the cessation of unemployment benefits) than with a bang?

People are frustrated and angry, and even starting to get a bit nihilistic. I'm happy that we saw more fireworks displays -- with the general state of mind out there, it could have been firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This is an easy one -- my roommate pointed out that because of the Great Recession, people are taking fewer and shorter vacations. There are FAR more people at home this year around SE Michigan, and what better way to blow off steam [[and in some cases, the cessation of unemployment benefits) than with a bang?

People are frustrated and angry, and even starting to get a bit nihilistic. I'm happy that we saw more fireworks displays -- with the general state of mind out there, it could have been firearms.

Could have abeen a few trying to cover up under the fireworks cause I know for a FACT that on at least one occassion I hear the uniform BOOM BOOM BOOM of an automatic weapon....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I thought about that too as I saw the big ones shoot up above the roof tops, with the bright colors and cascades smaller yet similar to the big professional grade ones. Those could not be cheap... at all.
    I've been to some stores in Ohio right before the 4th. Usually, they have last minute deals starting July 1st. It will be to the effect of buy one, get 2 free or spend $100, get $50 worth of stuff free, etc. These days are like the Black Friday for Independence Day. If you're already down there to buy, it's easy to get sucked in with the last minute deals.

I thought times were bad and money was tight in Michigan? Of all the fireworks displays people could go to close to home and get their fulfillment, they still waste a bunch of money on crap that burns up in a few seconds.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I thought times were bad and money was tight in Michigan? Of all the fireworks displays people could go to close to home and get their fulfillment, they still waste a bunch of money on crap that burns up in a few seconds.
    None of which is any of your business.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    None of which is any of your business.
    Wow, pretty nasty reply to someone who is just voicing their opinion like you and everybody else does on this forum. Personally, I think wolverine is 100% correct...so much for the "bad economy" here in Michigan!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast