Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bob Probert has died

CKLW AM 800 is reporting that Bob Probert has died today.

http://www.am800cklw.com/newspopup.php?id=3329

Default R.I.P. Bob Probert

Apparently died on the water today. Wonder if the tremendous heat had anything to do with it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5356462

I can hardly believe this...RIP Bob. You were one of my favorites and will be missed greatly.

RIP Bob - what a character.

Quite the character ........and quite the troublemaker. R.I.P.

Just saw this on the Detroit News website

lilpup Guest

How horrible that his wife and kids were on the boat out on the water with him and had to see it without being able to get immediate assistance.

Terrible news... Rest in Peace, Bob...

Holy shit.....

On the ice, he was electrifying in the days of some poor hockey in Detroit. Off ice, sadly he had some issues. It seemed as though he had gotten his life turned around and became a nice family man. He won't make the Hockey Hall of Fame but he will be revered by many the Red Wings fan here.

Rest in peace Bob. Condolences to his family.

wow................

Bob Probert won't get to the Hockey Hall of Fame and he will not get his number to the rafters but Probie played an important part in the history of the Red Wings. Probert gave the team a toughness they lacked when they were the Dead Wings. Without Bob Probert on his wing, Steve Yzerman would have been easy pickings for the brutes in the NHL. I can recall the story how how Probert and Joey Kocur went to Kronk's gym to get some pointers from Emmanuel Stewart. Bob Probert....rest in peace. He had his ups and downs but it appears that he was able to overcome the down moments in his life and became a husband and father and was able to finish his career on his terms. 45 is just too young to die.

One of my favorite players of all time. He had that rare gift of finesse and toughness. A sad day for hockey.

There are some sports figures in Detroit history whose stories captivate us far beyond their statistics, like Mark Fidrych, like Billy Martin. They transcend their sport and become legend. They might be nice, they might be naughty but they get to us.

When they pass it is more than just a sports story. Robert Probert [rhymes in French] was one those. This guy was 100% colorful and even more endearing because he was one of us, a hard-nosed, hometown and homegrown southsider [Windsor].

Considering all he went through, when I heard the news on the radio, the thought crossed my mind, "You mean he was still alive?" Back when hockey was about enforcers, he was king of that dark 'art' too.

RIP Probie.

Stosh Guest

Nice link to the fights. It's been a while since I watched any of that era of hockey action, it's a shame as to what they [[Bettman) have done to this great game.

That being said, I am sorry to hear of his passing. 45 is way too young to die.

Lowell, that was eloquently put. Probie was one of those guys who somehow made Detroit sports different, and more interesting, than sports in a lot of other cities. Thanks for that great post.

My condolences to his family. I see he was known for fighting.... NEARLY ALL the news clips show him in action! Getting busy with some serious round houses. Indeed he was passionate about the sport...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Nice link to the fights. It's been a while since I watched any of that era of hockey action, it's a shame as to what they [[Bettman) have done to this great game.

That being said, I am sorry to hear of his passing. 45 is way too young to die.

the rare enforcer who was actually a good player. No matter what his troubles, he still went out of his way to be gracious to fans. I remember seeing a kid in a wheelchair wearing a 24 jersey probert had brought to him in the hospital, signed by all the wings.

R.I.P. Bob. Whether you liked him or hated him, there is one thing that can't be denied. Bob was pretty fearless. Sadly, I think his legendary fights on the ice paled in comparison to his inner fights. And fight he did. Time after time, chance after chance. I don't think he quit "fighting" to turn things around. Bob Probert just seemed like one of us....the grittiness, the blue-collar in many of us Detroiters, the strong resolve.....the guy you knew "had your back" in the biggest fights. Thanks for some of the best hockey, #24. My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Probert family. Wow...way too young.

Rob Probert is one of the hard core Red Wing in the NHL. Mean as Dennis "The Menace" Rodman. However he did whatever in this power to help his fellow teamates reach the playoffs. We will surely miss him and I stand my condolences to him and his family.

I will pray for his family and friends who care about him.

I remember when I was younger he was the scale by which toughness was measured in this area. "That kid better back off or I'm gonna go Probert on his ass."

heard on channel 7 news tonight he had 90% blockage.

Probey in his hey-day. He was good, made hockey in Detroit exciting. Some friends did rehab in Canada with him in early 2000's. He straightened out and he was a nice person otherwise from he personal demons.
    Last edited by ggores; July-06-10 at 08:08 PM.

Haven't gotten this out of my mind for very long today. Probie is still a kid to me......45 yr old with young kids has no business dying. Saddens me a lot....and I've heard for years he was affected deeply himself by his own fathers passing when he was 17.

Lowell loved how you put things earlier in this thread....add Bobby Layne to that list too.

Rest easy, Big Bob. And thanks for the memories
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/...75b09c93_b.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast