Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat wave

Default Heat wave

It is already opressive from the heat and humidity out there...looks like its going to be in the 90's the few days..I wonder if it would be feasible to to bring back swim mobiles..

Slip and slides?

It is hot as a mug. Oy.

lincoln8740 Guest

Where is the hipster doofus contingent that hates air conditioning???

"don't need it man I have a ceiling fan and you are killing the environment with all that AC usage!!"

have fun sweating your asses off!!!!!

Ain't that the truth, but a break from 8th months of grays sky, no humidity, cold weather and high gas bills! LOL! My hair and skin is loving this weather : ) : )
    Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    It is hot as a mug. Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

"don't need it man I have a ceiling fan and you are killing the environment with all that AC usage!!"

lol, I thank the baby jeebus every day for my central air.

I have a little window AC... otherwise ceiling and table fans etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    lol, I thank the baby jeebus every day for my central air.

They're all in Ann Arbor, not turning the A/C on in my office. Should've stayed home today.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post

I have an AC but it is not enough to combat this friggin heat! So the switch stays to "off". I'll just, umm, swelter.

P.S. Merry christmas kids. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qannFs974gg
    Last edited by ggores; July-05-10 at 11:19 AM.

Yes ... it's a hot day. Highs in the lower-90s, dewpoints in the lower-70s, that nets out to heat indexes in the upper-90s.

That warrants the Weather Service issuing a Heat Advisory??? Really???

Honestly, [[1) days like this happen almost EVERY summer, and [[2) it can get worse. MUCH worse. The heat advisories should be saved for 105+ heat indexes.

On Friday July 14, 1995 ... Detroit hit 100 [[still Detroit's last 100-degree day) with dewpoints in the lower-80s. Heat Indexes were 125! I'll never forget that day, pretty rough working outside.

I wish I was outside , But my back is resting up, So I stay inside. Lucky I did put the window units in.

The worst I ever experienced was 122°. It was eerie.

Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle helps if you don't have A/C. No open flames!

Home turf in Henderson, NV, has hit 118, but that's rare. Temps have been around 103 or so, but humidity is 3 or 4 percent. Not uncomfortable at all. It's gotta get up to 110 before I really feel it. I always feel that humidity when I get off a plane at Metro even if it's only 70 or so.

These next few days ironically will also be the anniversary of the July 5-7, 1988 [[very brutal summer everywhere) heat wave, one of Detroit's nastiest heatwaves in history [[exceeded 100*F two of the three days).

And to put things in a different perspective, this same time last year we were stuck in the 60s & under cloudy skies [[which lead to the 2nd coldest July on record).

July 2nd was the anniversery of the tornado that hit Detroit in and the pointes in '97, we lived in eastpointe at that time and watched it come in. Then we spent the next 30 minutes in the basement...I came up stairs to take a peek, and and all the trees were bent over about 30 degrees from the wind...

64 and cloudy in San Diego county, kinda chilly.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The worst I ever experienced was 122°. It was eerie.

Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle helps if you don't have A/C. No open flames!
    That's a good way to poison yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    That's a good way to poison yourself.
    LOL! You don't drink it! You spray it on your skin.

It's so hot that even Martha Reeves won't be dancing in the street.

Use pure witch hazel [[or the diluted type) -- it does not have harsh smell and is less drying. Yet it is cooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    LOL! You don't drink it! You spray it on your skin.

WPA pools- lets bring back the WPA and get some pools in Detroit

WPA-Era Pools

A new era in active recreation arrived in the 1930s and 1940s, when the Department of Parks assumed jurisdiction over the city's bathhouses and harnessed Works Progress Administration labor to develop a series of outdoor pools for the city.

The WPA swimming pools were among the most remarkable public recreational facilities in the country, representing the forefront of design and technology in advanced filtration and chlorination systems. The influence of the pools extended throughout entire communities, attracting aspiring athletes and neighborhood children, and changing the way millions of New Yorkers spent their leisure time.
    The eleven pools were opened within weeks of each other in the hot summer of 1936, bringing relief to thousands upon thousands of New Yorkers. Mayor Firorello La Guardia and Parks Commissioner Robert Moses attended packed dedication ceremonies that summer. At Thomas Jefferson Pool, more than 10,000 celebrated the opening, at which the Mayor said, "Here is something you can be proud of. It is the last word in engineering, hygiene, and construction that could be put into a pool."
    The pools were not just huge but also examples of state-of-the-art engineering and fine design. The planning team, led by architect Aymar Embury II and landscape architect Gilmore D. Clarke, produced a series of distinct complexes, each one sensitive to its site and topography.
    Massive filtration systems, heating units, and even underwater lighting provided a more controlled bathing experience than the often treacherous and polluted waterfront currents in which the city's masses had traditionally swam. The palette of building materials was mainly inexpensive brick, concrete, and cast stone, but the styles ranged from Romanesque Revival to Art Deco.

FWIW, The Heat Wave was a nightclub at 9010 Oakland Ave in the 1930's, featured some good jazz, but I'm not sure if it was Air-Conditioned.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    These next few days ironically will also be the anniversary of the July 5-7, 1988 [[very brutal summer everywhere) heat wave, one of Detroit's nastiest heatwaves in history [[exceeded 100*F two of the three days).

And to put things in a different perspective, this same time last year we were stuck in the 60s & under cloudy skies [[which lead to the 2nd coldest July on record).
    Entire summer of '88 was brutal.....it's the one that sticks way out in my memory as being hotter than a freshly screwed sheep in a pepper patch.

High 80's and 90's week, after week, after week.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Entire summer of '88 was brutal.....it's the one that sticks way out in my memory as being hotter than a freshly screwed sheep in a pepper patch.

High 80's and 90's week, after week, after week.
    I remember that. My first baby was born in June of '88. Wouldn't take her out, unless I had to. Hot, hot, hot everyday and no rain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast