ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Two Things America Got Right, Cars & Freedom

I love that commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I love that commercial.
    What ejames01 said.....

I posted about this commercial on a couple other forums I frequent. SWEET for sure! And not to offend anyone but couldn't ya just see a rebel flag flying out the window as well? I might be getting that idea from the General Lee!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Our country offers compareable freedom and no we havent always been the forunner in human dignity and rights and privelages but yeah the commercial is very moving and strikes a nerve. Kudos to the marketing firm that put together this piece of advertising.

And no Im not going to go live somewhere else this is my country I already have time and money[[ pension,social security) invested...Im staying put unless I strike it rich!

Dodge has once again done a good job of branding their car. I drive a 3.2L Intrepid. That mo fo rocks! Not too crazy about the Charger, though.

Wow, that was really well done. Definitely one of the best I've seen.

Liters? Not so American! Put it in cubic inches...

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Dodge has once again done a good job of branding their car. I drive a 3.2L Intrepid. That mo fo rocks! Not too crazy about the Charger, though.

DetroitDad Guest

Classic Detroit!

As alive and well in 2010 as it was in 1960.

It's very entertaining, and it plays to that car's musclecar-type strengths as well as Dodge's, and covertly plays up the buy American angle. It totally works for this model.

Personally, I like GM's Howie Long commercials in which he makes a coherent argument that the Malibu, say, is fuel-efficient, gets a higher rating for quality from JD Power than the equivalent Toyota, or what-have-you. They're not very exciting, but they make the case that GM is coming out of this latest crisis with vehicles it feels it can persuasively pitch to you; that however you might feel about bail outs or past quality issues, they're doing good things and catching up if not more than that. I like these commercials, basically, because GM is ignoring the buy American angle and arguing that they have good competitive product. Grandpa's Buick suddenly makes sense again. Throw in OnStar, and you have a compelling package. Once I've been in one of those situations OnStar shows you in their commercials, or had a friend who was aided by OnStar, I will consider a GM-badge van for the wife and kids when I'm older.

This isn't how Chrysler is going to advertise the Fiat 500, right? That thing has to be made to appeal to a completely different demographic that's still kind of upset with "Detroit" for the Hummer and such.

that vid. is great, and I drive a ford. We need good jobs to afford these beasts, 'though. I think the best ad[[s) were for caddy's CTS, about 6 months ago. The new mustang ad, shot in sanfransicko, of all places, is pretty good, also

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    I posted about this commercial on a couple other forums I frequent. SWEET for sure! And not to offend anyone but couldn't ya just see a rebel flag flying out the window as well? I might be getting that idea from the General Lee!
    But you just did. No, I can't see a rebel flag flying out of ANY window. You might as well put a gun rack in the rear window of that Challenger while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    But you just did. No, I can't see a rebel flag flying out of ANY window. You might as well put a gun rack in the rear window of that Challenger while you're at it.
    Exactly. What is the fascination with that piece of shit flag? Personally, I'd like to see anyone displaying it have it set on fire in front of them.

DetroitDad.

Why are you celebrating this?

Don't you know that automobiles are EEEEEEEEEVVVVULLLLLLL?

If it wasn't for automobiles, Detroit would have two million people all living in racial harmony, riding clean and safe public transit, and gladly paying taxes to support a large and vibrant "arts, music, and culture" community while the sturdy yeomen out in Oakland and Macomb counties happily grew fresh produces for the yuppies to buy in open air markets within walking distance of their lofts.

You must not read DetroitYes very often, Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    If it wasn't for automobiles, Detroit would have two million people all living in racial harmony, riding clean and safe public transit, and gladly paying taxes to support a large and vibrant "arts, music, and culture" community while the sturdy yeomen out in Oakland and Macomb counties happily grew fresh produces for the yuppies to buy in open air markets within walking distance of their lofts.
    All true, but we wouldn't have important things like ambulances. Also, you neglect the role the construction of interstates and highways played in making urban sprawl feasible. The automobile, for its part, had been around for many decades.

Yeah, and it's not as if most people in, say, San Francisco or Chicago don't own cars. They just have the power of choice.

They can also zipcar if they want, just to close the loop and return to my first post on this board. :-P

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    All true, but we wouldn't have important things like ambulances. Also, you neglect the role the construction of interstates and highways played in making urban sprawl feasible. The automobile, for its part, had been around for many decades.
    Well, we can't all afford to get around in private jets like Algore. Us po folks gots to dirty up the invirnment. Thats one reason we aint fitten ta hold a important gubmint job and tell everyone else how to live.

They forgot Jazz - it moves, it is freedom of expression and it is American.

Excellent commercial. I posted it on Facebook recently.

I drive a Dodge Charger and love everything about it. It was the first car produced in my lifetime by Detroit that made me say, "I want that. Now."

And I sold a very nice BMW to buy it.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Reading Into The "Cars & Freedom" Commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    DetroitDad.

Why are you celebrating this?

Don't you know that automobiles are EEEEEEEEEVVVVULLLLLLL?

You must not read DetroitYes very often, Dad.
    Well now we're getting off topic.

While it may be possible I was being sarcastic, the car was a good solution to a set of problems in our past. Like most technology based solutions, there are almost always unintended consequences, the state of our cities and countrysides being among them. Now that those problems are long gone, it's time to solve the problems that the solution [[cars) caused. I advocate a denser living arrangement, and building new hybrid cities in the most desirable locations, in which the car plays a much smaller role, as a tool or appliance rather than a necessity.

Cars can be a great thing, but are expensive, and not viewed as a right, so our transit systems need to take that into account.

BTW; I think this commercial is about as offensive as the guy in American flag boxer shorts, or the woman in an American flag bikini. To me, they are trying to play the "patriotism card". If any of the big three want to inspire American patriotism, all they need to do is build a car worthy of the respect and dominance of the global auto market.

However, I agree that it was a very well done commercial.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; July-06-10 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Well, we can't all afford to get around in private jets like Algore. Us po folks gots to dirty up the invirnment. Thats one reason we aint fitten ta hold a important gubmint job and tell everyone else how to live.
    I'm afraid you misunderstood me, sir/madam. Apparently I, too, need to place more -type simleys to clarify when I'm having a bit of fun.

9mile&seneca Guest

No, Fryar, I was going along with the gag. Sorry.

Why do you people have to make everything political?

No, Fryar, I was going along with the gag. Sorry.
    Ah. I get it. Carry on...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast