Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Belle Isle 4th of July [Pics]

90 degrees, mellowed by a stiff breeze, BBQ smoke and aromas, it's the 4th of July on Belle Isle.

High rise apartments in Windsor form a backdrop for boaters.

Water lilies blossom in Lake Okonoka...

...and swan hatchlings glide by with their parents.

Water intake tower, Grosse Pointe and Lake St. Clair fade into the summer haze.

The Roostertail -- famed locus of Detroit's recreational and speed boating scene. Behind it can be seen the massive water works building on Jefferson..

Lazy days of summer beneath Belle Isles' spreading trees.

Masts of sailing yachts at the Detroit Yacht Club frame the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit.

A police patrol boat drifts past the "Two Brothers" power plant -- a landmark for sailors approaching Detroit from Lake St. Clair but weak siblings to their mighty "Seven Sisters" that once stood before them. The Seven Sisters were detonated in 1996.

Picnics sprout across the shady lawns.

Summer in Detroit is here.

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!

What is the alien aircraft doing in the last photo to the right of the Ren Cen?

DetroitDad Guest

I wish I could have taken some pictures high atop the Greektown Tower/garage. You could see fireworks everywhere, as far as the eye could see!

Happy 4th of July, DY!

Hamtramck was wild tonight. Fireworks going off in all directions, about 1 second. Probably a lot of them were in Detroit, or who knows, the suburbs? Beautiful fireworks in the sky in all directions.

I especially love the swan hatchlings picture.

Buy American Guest

Great pictures Lowell, thanks.

Awesome pics! My favorite is the baby swans too.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!

What is the alien aircraft doing in the last photo to the right of the Ren Cen?
    I guess that calls for a detail shot...

Thanks all for the kind remarks.

Not to be outdone by Lowell, I upload my own picture of my 4th of July barbecue.

I would have invited everyone over, but I accidentally burnt down the neighbor's house.
    Last edited by RickBeall; July-05-10 at 06:54 PM. Reason: d

^^^hahaha^^^

love the last photo lowell

Belle Isle is my favorite place. When I lived in Oregon, I always tried to describe it's splendor and it's lack of support. No one understood. To tell you the truth, I think I do. It's sad. Loved the swans and the Roostertail pic. I didn't know Seven Sisters was gone, and I thought something was wrong. I was gone when that happened.