Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

lilpup Guest

Default American...or not?

Given all the yapping about US v transplant automakers that goes on here I thought this might be interesting/amusing for some readers:

Surprise! American icons that aren't American

I know Shell was Dutch...

I think Nestle being Swiss is common knowledge as well.

It was Harvey Firestone who started making tires...although he WAS Henry Ford's camping buddy.

Bearinabox Guest

The amusing thing about "Budweiser" being an American icon is that, in most places outside the US, Budweiser beer comes from the city of Budweis in the Czech Republic and has nothing to do with Anheuser-Busch.

And our own Government Motors will now be getting their steering systems from a Chinese government motors.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    And our own Government Motors will now be getting their steering systems from a Chinese government motors.
    Don't you mean General Motors, or is your Radical Right wing Rush slip now showing there, big fella?

Show some proof, that all General Motors vehicles will be using these.

Or are you just another dittohead, whose been listening to Rush and the right wing conservative media for far too long?

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    I don't understand this calling General Motors, Government Motors.

The Obama administration did what it was supposed to do when GM came with its hands out. They wanted to see its business plan, and its business plan was unrealistic which didn't surprise me. Anybody who reads up on the company knows they have been throwing out market share sales predictions that were totally out in left field for years. Even the casual observer could see that they had too many brands cannibalizing each other.

The only thing the Obama administration did was to call them out on there business plan knowing they would be back for more money in a few years if they didn't change their way of doing business. In the long run the administration saved the tax payers money by making GM jump thru the hoops that they did. Plus in the long run they forced some financial discipline within the company that will save jobs which is what we wanted right ?

Every parts box that comes across the counter that I see has Made In Taiwan, China, Mexico, Indosia, ect. and probably once in a blue moon do I see a Made In USA stamp on an AC Delco box. Considering these parts are made by [[usually) the same manufacturer that built the ones the cars were assembled with, it would be safe to venture a guess that most GM cars are about 90-95% foreign.

If anyone should know how much GM threw Americans and American workers under the bus time and time again, it should be the people of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Every parts box that comes across the counter that I see has Made In Taiwan, China, Mexico, Indosia, ect. and probably once in a blue moon do I see a Made In USA stamp on an AC Delco box. Considering these parts are made by [[usually) the same manufacturer that built the ones the cars were assembled with, it would be safe to venture a guess that most GM cars are about 90-95% foreign.

If anyone should know how much GM threw Americans and American workers under the bus time and time again, it should be the people of Michigan.
    Steelers, the replacement parts you sell at the shop are not generally the same that are in the vehicle. Your stats are way off:

http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/f..._v_Foreign.pdf

Here is a comparison between GM and all foreign makers combined.

Yeah, I noticed it when I was on vacation in Europe, in Germany or France the Budweiser you get is from the Czech Republic, from the town Budweis [[Budejovice) and has nothing to do with the US Budweiser [[only the name is the same). So it seems like Anheuser-Busch were referring to that Czech town when they named their beer.

For one thing, the information on your link is dated 2008.
    For another thing, it only refers to vehicle assembly.
    For another thing, lots of parts manufacturers got royally F'd over after the bankruptcy, and I am certain there are many more imported parts then previously.
    And lastly, when GM contracts a manufacturer to make a part, that same manufacturer is contracted to continue making the part for replacement purposes for a specific term.
    Auto parts suppliers are the
    largest industry employer
    in 5 States, and a top five
    employer in 11 others.
    Auto parts suppliers and auto parts manufacturers are two different things.
    Don't forget suppliers can import parts, or pieces to make parts, or the materials to make parts, from anywhere they want.
    http://www.levelfieldinstitute.org/f..._v_Foreign.pdf

Maybe you guys need to watch Roger & Me, after all, Michael Moore is one of the heroes around these forums. Remember what GM is all about.
    Last edited by Papasito; July-09-10 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    For one thing, the information on your link is dated 2008.
    For another thing, it only refers to vehicle assembly.
    For another thing, lots of parts manufacturers got royally F'd over after the bankruptcy, and I am certain there are many more imported parts then previously.
    And lastly, when GM contracts a manufacturer to make a part, that same manufacturer is contracted to continue making the part for replacement purposes for a specific term.
    Throw up some sources beyond "you're certain" that "GM cars are 90% - 95% foreign". The stats may be a couple of years old, but I'd say they are closer to the truth than your assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by angela80 View Post
    Yeah, I noticed it when I was on vacation in Europe, in Germany or France the Budweiser you get is from the Czech Republic, from the town Budweis [[Budejovice) and has nothing to do with the US Budweiser [[only the name is the same). So it seems like Anheuser-Busch were referring to that Czech town when they named their beer.
    There was an attempt to import real Budweiser to the US years ago. Czechs I know firmly believe if it comes in a bottle it isn't real beer

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Don't you mean General Motors, or is your Radical Right wing Rush slip now showing there, big fella?

Show some proof, that all General Motors vehicles will be using these.

Or are you just another dittohead, whose been listening to Rush and the right wing conservative media for far too long?
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...z4HfcGJgrHAW7A

You have to read a little and pay attention if you want to know what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I don't understand this calling General Motors, Government Motors.
    I call GM Government Motors because the federal government owns 61% of the company.

Throw up some sources beyond "you're certain" that "GM cars are 90% - 95% foreign". The stats may be a couple of years old, but I'd say they are closer to the truth than your assumptions.
    All I have to do is bring a digital camera to work and start taking pictures in the parts department, and the stickers in the windows of the new cars. Just because a part or a vehicle is assembled in the US does not mean it was "made" here, barely anything is "made" here anymore, and what is "made here" is typically just assembled here with foreign parts. Just take a ride through your hometown, or for that matter - most of the country, count the empty factories.

I can't tell you how many people I have pissed off when they bragged about how they had an American car, by opening thier door, looking at the VIN and/or plant stamp, and showing them the plant it came from was in Mexico, Canada, sometimes South America, other times even Asia.

I am not saying GM is an evil empire, believe me. I am thankful I have a job at one of GM's independantly owned dealerships. What I am saying is that GM is not the "American" patron saint that so many people make it out to be. They have been turning thier back on American workers and American companies for years now, shutting down plants and opening them outside our borders, sometimes with our own tax dollars [[after getting TARP money, GM announced domestic plant closings and then opened one in Brazil!).

At least when France bailed out thier auto manufacturers, they had the common sense to require them to keep all thier plants in France. Our Government is not that bright.

MAKE/MODEL - ASSEMBLY - PARTS - STATUS
    Jeep Liberty - USA - 74% import
    Dodge Ram - USA - 74% import
    Jeep Grand Cherokee - USA - 73% import
    Lincoln Navigator - USA - 70% import
    Dodge Caliber - USA - 70% import
    Chevy Impala - CANADA - 92% import
    http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/int.../07-10-06.html
    Passed into law in the early nineties, the American Automobile Labeling Act [[AALA) was an attempt to regulate what was called “Made in the USA,” by requiring that 75 percent of the parts content be from the US or Canada. That's one of the many curious things about it: why Canada? Probably because, with plants open and operating up north, domestic automakers wanted to get credit for the parts built there, and perhaps felt that, due to the proximity of Ontario, Canada, to Detroit, Michigan, the definition should be grouped.

From your link:

Your link poses a good argument that the labeling system is flawed, but does not NOT support your statement that 90%-95% of GM cars are foreign made. In fact, it does quite the opposite.

our congress ...sorry had to slip that one in...lol

When figuring part locality %, don't they ever consider engineering, design, RD, fabrication, legal, marketing, advertising, distribution and all the other areas? From the drawing board to the showroom floor, how many American hands touched this vehicle? A hell of a lot more goes into the creation of a vehicle than parts stamping and assembly.

Anyone can get a part from a local source.
    Just because your source is American does not mean the part is American.
    Do you really think that the parts in these cars are Made In America?
    You are mistaken. How do you expect a country with limited petroleum and manufacturing, with a handful of steel mills, and massive legislation opposing the collection of raw materials [[metals, coal, ect.) to supply these parts? Our Domestic parts companies are importers and assemblers of parts using foreign materials.

Add in the fact that the BOX may be made in N. America but the PART is made off-shore. Read the fine prints folks.