Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where to rent downtown?

All,

Looking for a 1 bedroom apartment/loft/condo in the downtown/midtown area. Looking to stay in the $700 range. Have some friends with different experiences in the area, but want your thoughts as well. Have heard that Lafayette Towers have become "a disgrace." Any thoughts on this?

What would you suggest?

Thanks

fife building on GCP would be my best advice in that price range. Also, I've heard the Town Apartments on Bagley have straightened up their act with new ownership and whatnot.

I wondered about the Fyfe....you know anything specific there?

Washington Square seems to be a good bet, too. Looks like the new company has done a nice job of renovating the common areas...I know some people from work who live there and seem to enjoy it. Anyone else have an experience there?

DetroitDad Guest

Default $700 or less for a one bedroom;

1. Washington Square
    2. Greektown Lofts
    3. New Cadillac Square
    4. Claridge House
    5. Harmonie Park Lofts
    6. Fyfe
    7. Park Apartments
    8. Milner Hotel
    9. The Leland House Apartments

Those were in order from best to worst, although I suppose it's all relative. If Lafayette Towers wasn't up to par, other than on location and price, you probably will only find the first few on that list acceptable.

Kales, Lofts at Woodward Center, Millender Center and Riverfront Towers have apartments in the $700 - $800 range as well, and offer more luxuries.

Detroit's Downtown/Central Business District [[CBD) is one small district, it is surrounded by Corktown, Midtown, and Lafayette Park, which are walking distance to the CBD.

PS: Be sure to check out any hidden fees [[parking, keys, utilities, on-site facilities, etc.).

Live on 4th st, or 3rd street in the same aria. It's near wayne state, and it's a great community of people. It's a dead end street cut off by 94, and 96 in the middle of wayne state, and new center.
    Last edited by aliediz; July-04-10 at 07:27 PM.

I lived at the New Cadillac Square Apartments for three years and I was very happy there. The rent includes all utilities, there is a front desk with a person, day or night, that anyone who wants to get into the building has to get past, and there's a decent, if rather plain [[but cheap!), diner in the building. For my money, I felt I got a lot. The only thing is that the building is rather old, so you may not have as cool a countertop or paint job as you would in the lofts, your windows are smaller and there's no balcony. In fact, the kitchens and bathrooms are kind of small [[in ancient times, it was a luxury hotel). So it's a trade-off, but definitely a good deal.
    Washington Square and the lofts probably have residents who are more, how do I put this, yuppyish? A little more well off, I guess one could say? It doesn't bother me, but some people want to surround themselves with folks who are doing some really interesting things, or at least carry iphones, and caddy square was maybe a little plain on that front. But on the flip side, you can have a pretty buddy-buddy relationship with the front desk and maintenance people, such as taking an extra 5-10 minutes on your way home to hang around in the lobby to shoot the breeze or exchange friendly insults with them. I thought the atmosphere was very friendly and inviting, that way, nicely non-anonymous for an out-of-towner.
    However, no wild parties.

I live on a Ferry street in Midtown in a historic building I really like it here the price for an apartment here includes all utilities. plus there is an urban garden behind our building. You can walk to CCS, WSU, The DIA, and Good Girls Go to Paris crepes from here. It's a great place to live. If your interested send me an private message on here and I'll give you all the info.

I have a buddy that lives in Lafayette Towers and the place is pretty decent with the security and everything. I think the only issue was that 1 out of the 4 elevators was not working.

On the other hand for around $700 you can get a studio apartment in Troy in a nice area like anothe friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by aliediz View Post
    Live on 4th st, or 3rd street in the same aria. It's near wayne state, and it's a great community of people. It's a dead end street cut off by 94, and 96 in the middle of wayne state, and new center.
    Just to clarify, the neighborhood is cut off by I-94 and the Lodge, not I-96. This is where I live.

Washington Square.

Great location, 24 hour door person, great views with balconies, and easy access to highways.
    Bonus, the entire building include every apartment is going through a complete renovation. Four new elevators were recently installed and completed last month.

Washington Square is a very tempting option, primarily because of the balconies and because it's relatively new. How is the atmosphere there, is it anonymous or do people know their neighbors? One of the reasons I would be hesitant to move into one of the lofts is that I think they might be pretty isolating, actually. That's fine if you have a bunch of friends already in the area, but if you're from out of town, it can be a bummer. Then again, that issue is probably worse if you work from home like I do.

Cadillac Square is a couple of blocks closer to many of the nightlife options in downtown, and a little bit cheaper. And I don't think you'd have much trouble getting to the highways from any place downtown.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread with regard to my own thinking.

Spiritofdetroit, do not confuse the Lafayette Towers buildings with Lafayette Pavilion. Habitat Corp. owned all three buildings until several years ago when they sold the Towers to the Northern Group. Habitat still owns and manages the Pavilion. You might want to look at the Pavilion if the 1950's International Style of glass-walled towers appeals to you.

Fryar, you did not mention if you were only interested in renting or if you wanted to buy. If you are considering buying, you may want to look into purchasing a coop townhouse in one of the Mies van der Rohe or Chateaufort Coops. While the neighbors are not intrusive in your life, there certainly is a wonderful sense of community in Lafayette Park.
    Last edited by Neilr; July-06-10 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Corrected a mistake. Thanks DetroitDad.

Lafayette Towers has developed a bad reputation. Numerous owners over the past two years. Two winters ago the Towers had no heat for over a month. Parking lot is not even partially fenced in.

I have not heard many complaints regarding the Pavilion. With the exception of the heating and air conditioning in room fans being noisy and breaking all the time [[the finest in late 1950's technology). Senator Levin has an apartment there, so I guess can't be that bad? Nope, it is a pretty nice place.
    Last edited by manualshift; July-06-10 at 12:17 AM.

DetroitDad Guest

Lafayette Towers was owned by the same group who owned Alden Park Towers, Cadillac Tower, First National Building, and Penobscot Building.

Northern Group is facing some cash flow problems.

I'm hoping to be in the same boat soon... What about the same question, with "pet-friendly" added to the equation?

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Fryar, you did not mention if you were only interested in renting or if you wanted to buy. If you are considering buying, you may want to look into purchasing a coop townhouse in one of the Mies van der Rohe or Chateaufort Coops. While the neighbors are not intrusive in your life, there certainly is a wonderful sense of community in Lafayette Park.
    I would be looking to rent in the immediate term, and then perhaps buy at some future date, like in 2-3 years. Trouble is, there appear to be some really good deals there at the moment, so I may miss the boat on that if the housing market starts to improve, but then again, maybe there's a fat chance of that happening. I've thought about it a little, both there as well as the newish condos in Brush Park. Riverview or Riversomething I'm not at all interested in, that place is way too much of a gated community; there would be easier ways of fleeing the city.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    I'm hoping to be in the same boat soon... What about the same question, with "pet-friendly" added to the equation?
    As a renter? I took in two stray kittens while staying at Cadillac Square without any problems. There was a fee or an extra security deposit or something, as I recall, but I was not aware of any restrictions on that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    [Lafayette Towers'] parking lot is not even partially fenced in.
    I believe the parking lot not being fenced in is by design -- if I'm not mistaken, I believe the architect Mies van der Rohe incorporated into his designs a concept of openness and space, with the deliberate lack of fencing. Perhaps someone more well-versed in this can confirm? [[Neilr maybe?)

In fairness, the security at Lafayette Towers is very good, and I don't recall ever hearing of a car being stolen or vandalized.

Thanks for all of your input.

I will be taking a look at Washington Square, Kales, and a couple lofts in the midtown area for starters. Only issue with Washington Square is I have not been able to get an email or phone call returned -not a good start

Neilr - correct - I have a friend at the Pavilion, and he has had no problems - its the towers that I've heard have really fallen the past few years.

Thanks again

Lived at the Pavilion from 2005-2009, nice, quiet, safe and clean place. If you are a fan of mid-century minimalist architechture this is a good place for you. With that said, much of the apt had never been updated but its a great value. Location is not as "downtown" as some of the other choices but absolutely beautiful setting, especially when Lafayette Park and the Mies Van Der Rohe townhouses' landscaping greens up every Spring.

Managed Washington Square from 2009-2010. This place has truly undergone a comeback from its notorious "gangster" days 3+ years ago. The staff in place was one of my best groups of employees and truly cared about the welfare of the residents and buildings. Real downtown location and some of the apts even looked right into Comerica Park. Plus when I left the management company, back in April, a nice apt renovation was underway making the apts a lot more competitive with newer construction.

Can't go wrong with either place.

Cmubryan -

thanks for your input on Washington Square. You wouldnt happen to have a contact I could get in touch with there, would you? My phone calls and emails have gone unanswered....

Try was@villagegreen.com. If that doesn't work, email me at bchamburger@aol.com and I will make sure to get you a contact. Don't know what's going on there.

where were all you people when i asked this exact same question a couple months ago?

Cmubyran - thanks - I will let you know how it goes.

Mindfield - where did you end up settling?

DetroitDad Guest

I have to add, I really wish there were some middle class apartments in and around Downtown Detroit. By middle class, I mean apartments with the quality of Kales or Riverfront Towers, but without all the extras that make it a luxury apartment. I really don't need a pool, or free cable, or two free parking spaces, or a workout room, or a tanning bed, or even a private washer and dryer. Unfortunately, there is no real in between, you are either in a luxury building, a lower income building, or not in Downtown Detroit.

Th issue of why lower income buildings are in the state that they're in is another discussion for another time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast