Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan has a longer border than the Mexican border?...

This is what Michel Bourchard, candidate for guv, just stated in candidate debate as seen on C-SPAN. The Mich border with Canada is longer than the 1950 mile border with Mexico?

Can someone give me a sitrep on that?

Doesn't sound factual. But coming from a Republican candidate, that would not surprise me.

Wikipedia claims the MI-CA border is 1,160 miles long [[no source is provided). Is he maybe counting shoreline?

Wikipedia gets its numbers from the official Boundary Commission web site:

http://www.internationalboundarycomm...daryfacts.html

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Wikipedia claims the MI-CA border is 1,160 miles long [[no source is provided). Is he maybe counting shoreline?
    He would have to be counting shoreline. Even the Wikpedia quote is counting shoreline as well. I'm hard pressed to even come up with a single spot in Michigan that is a land based border with Canada. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    He would have to be counting shoreline. Even the Wikpedia quote is counting shoreline as well. I'm hard pressed to even come up with a single spot in Michigan that is a land based border with Canada. Anyone?
    Hehe, good point. What I meant was, for example, that the line specifying the border in the Wikipedia image is a clean arc, whereas the Michigan coast kind of juts in and out. Perhaps if you count the actual shoreline, possibly including the Lake Michigan shore, you get to 2,000 miles or more.

There are no landfalls between Mich and Canada. Border is mid-rivers and lakes only. If you count the shoreline of the eastern mitten and the northern shoreline of the UP, it may be longer than the Pacific to Gulf Mexican border. But to call it a border with Mich-Can sounds...all wet to me.

You can't include Lake Michigan because there's no international border there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    You can't include Lake Michigan because there's no international border there.
    Maybe if you're a geography teacher whose whole world is the classroom, but when it comes to political football and allocating federal funds, it's very important. After all, all of those loony wetback Canadian boat people in their makeshift ships powered by converted Caddy's from the 50's could be coming ashore in Benton Harbor [[though one should hope not)!

My apologies to any geography teachers, Canadians, wetbacks, Chevys or Benton Habrorites offended. I only ran rough-shod over you to lampoon a local politician; I'm sure you understand.

This is the HNIC, the Head Nerd in Class, over and out.

The USA-Mex border clocks in at 1969 miles. However, Michigan already has a fence! A big blue one! LOL

Depends on how you define 'border' or boundary or if the quote specified international border. Strictly speaking, Michigan shares a border with Ontario, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. If you start at the Mackinaw Bridge and measure the outline of the LP all the way around back to the Bridge, then do the same for the UP, what do you get?

The actual international border through Lakes Erie, St. Claire, Huron and Superior would be much less. Is that what the 1,160 mile number is noted above?

The 'touching' border total would only be a few hundred feet if you counted the width of the Ambassador Bridge, Tunnel and Blue Water Bridge.

The border between Michigan and Ontario as shown on Google Maps, measures about 713 miles in length. The length of Michigan's entire border with Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio is about 1650 miles.
    Attachment 6656

The length of Michigan's entire border with Ontario, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio is about 1650 miles.

That would be the defined borders through the lakes and the contact points with Wisconsin, Indiana and Ohio which would probably be the relevant comparison.

Still curious what the actual shoreline mileage is.

According to this site, Michigan has more than 3,000 miles of shoreline. The site also claims that if you deduct the shoreline of the islands, you still get in excess of 2,000 miles.

What's the difference?

Some anti-immigrant thing?

Don't Michigan and Ontario share a "land border" on Seaway Island? There is display on the island indicating a border. Maybe its just something drunk boaters made up.

Default Plausible argument for more federal dollars fail

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    What's the difference?
    Some anti-immigrant thing?
    I'll tell you, I have no idea. I have been shaking my head, wondering in just what context the Sheriff could have compared the length of Michigan's border with Canada to that of the US with Mexico [[other than an academic exercise). Vote for me, I can plausibly argue for more federal funds? Because, erm, well, if you take the shoreline, you see...and I'll be generous and leave out the islands, how about that?

While I wish Michigan the best, of course, I for one think Sheriff Bouchard is overstating the case. For instance, in his figure for the US-Mexico border, nowhere does he account for the shoreline of Hawaii! And yet Hawaii is destination numero uno for human-smuggling "delfins." Next time you're in Hawaii, ask a local how many illegals come across that border, you'll likely get an earful!

Then again, I kid. I think the Sheriff is most likely being ridiculous.
    Last edited by fryar; July-03-10 at 11:40 AM.

Michigan.....the last line of defense from Canadians!!!

Maybe Bouchard will pull a Palin and remind everyone how he can see Canada when he stands on the shore of Lake Huron. He's way behind in the polls and he thinks he can "Tea Party" himself into the lead by playing the immigration card.

We must defend our border at all costs..........

Attachment 6660