Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default WTF, kicked out of Belle Isles Freak Beach.

Theres a little known swimming hole on the Isle that Ive been familiar with for years. Ive been swimming there for the past week almost every day. Its not uncommon for the boys to come by and give us a gentle reminder to keep our beer in plastic cups. Today two officers stopped by and didnt have much to say as there was only about eight of us there and we were just hanging out on the beach in the sun. About 15 minutes later two more cops showed up and told us we all had to leave, that this whole area is restricted and no one is supposed to be back here, that the signs restricting us were vandalized and removed. I asked when this new rule was put in place because there are trails leading back here, its a public park, and so on and so on until he threatened me with arrest because he didnt consider my bathing suit a bathing suit and would charge me with indecent exposure. I didnt want to wind up with a ticket or in jail on a Friday [[and wait to see the judge on Monday) so I bared down and kept my mouth shut.

There are paved trails leading back to this spot, there are kiosks with maps all along this trail.

Ive had cops stop by and tell us we cant swim at this spot because of e coli, I prefer it to the main beach because its quiet without screaming kids and their soiled diapers. The folks who go to this spot keep it pretty damn clean, a lot cleaner than the main beach. The water has a good current to it which tells me its constantly being flushed of any e coli or other stagnant creepy crawlies.

Anyone else had any probs like this. Of all the BS ppl have to put up with on Belle Isle I would think Freak Beach would be on the back burner of things to worry about.

It really burned my ass that this one cop used my bathing suit as a way to shut me up. His partner was backing him up but I could tell be knew his partner was full of shit.

Any Ideas?

One more thing, I love cops, I wish we had more of them, they all need a pay raise and better bennies.

Wow, stupidly amazing. I too go to the beach with friends and we love its seclusion, good crowds, and low-key atmosphere. I don't see how swimming could ever been unsafe there if you do not venture out to the River, but I have had the cops come back and tell us not to swim. But getting kicked out? That's like getting kicked off the sidewalk because you're walking on it. I think the cops don't have anything better to do... Why bother a bunch of hippies in the woods when they have crowds of people on The Strand [[mainly the southeast side facing Canada) burning out, blasting music, antagonizing families with their raucous behavior, holding up traffic, drinking, and fighting?

im sorry to hear that... ridiculous that they hassle people keeping to themselves and having a good time.. there are so much worse things to worry about

If you are talking about that back end trail that leads towards the lighthouse [[towards Lake St. Clair) with the park bench and winding road, the water back there can be treacherous. A teen girl lost he life there last month - the under current go here in what seems like nice waters. Almost killed her sister too. I go back there too, but not into any water. I like to go back there for the quiet and peace where you can actually have a decent conversation with your guest and enjoy the nature and view of the lake in the near distance..... I only swim in swimming pools with life gaurds, no kids, lots of cholorine. LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Theres a little known swimming hole on the Isle that Ive been familiar with for years. Ive been swimming there for the past week almost every day. Its not uncommon for the boys to come by and give us a gentle reminder to keep our beer in plastic cups. Today two officers stopped by and didnt have much to say as there was only about eight of us there and we were just hanging out on the beach in the sun. About 15 minutes later two more cops showed up and told us we all had to leave, that this whole area is restricted and no one is supposed to be back here, that the signs restricting us were vandalized and removed. I asked when this new rule was put in place because there are trails leading back here, its a public park, and so on and so on until he threatened me with arrest because he didnt consider my bathing suit a bathing suit and would charge me with indecent exposure. I didnt want to wind up with a ticket or in jail on a Friday [[and wait to see the judge on Monday) so I bared down and kept my mouth shut.

There are paved trails leading back to this spot, there are kiosks with maps all along this trail.

Ive had cops stop by and tell us we cant swim at this spot because of e coli, I prefer it to the main beach because its quiet without screaming kids and their soiled diapers. The folks who go to this spot keep it pretty damn clean, a lot cleaner than the main beach. The water has a good current to it which tells me its constantly being flushed of any e coli or other stagnant creepy crawlies.

Anyone else had any probs like this. Of all the BS ppl have to put up with on Belle Isle I would think Freak Beach would be on the back burner of things to worry about.

It really burned my ass that this one cop used my bathing suit as a way to shut me up. His partner was backing him up but I could tell be knew his partner was full of shit.

Any Ideas?

One more thing, I love cops, I wish we had more of them, they all need a pay raise and better bennies.

Does this happen to be the same area where the young girl drowned a few weeks ago? That may be why they are stepping up enforcement.

Detroit police have also started enforcing a non existent law that bans metal detecting in public parks. I know a few people who have been detecting there for decades and only about a year ago started getting hassled. The only law that the City will cite is one that pertains to destruction of public property.

@Zacha and Johnny5- this is not the area where the young girl drowned.

@Django-twice in the past couple of weeks I have seen cops rousting larger [[10+) groups of rowdier, younger guys who managed to DRIVE back there. It seems like Hipster Hole is getting busier and busier every year. My impression is that if you are in a family group w/kids, dogs, men and women etc. they will pretty much leave you alone, but if you are part of a group of guys, they will give you a hard time.

So just were is this spot? I'm curious... which side of the island? I am not going there to swim... as I don't swim in real water only swimming pools but I love the island and thought I knew every nook and cranny : )
    Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post

@Django-twice in the past couple of weeks I have seen cops rousting larger [[10+) groups of rowdier, younger guys who managed to DRIVE back there. It seems like Hipster Hole is getting busier and busier every year. My impression is that if you are in a family group w/kids, dogs, men and women etc. they will pretty much leave you alone, but if you are part of a group of guys, they will give you a hard time.

That's bizarre. I was there this afternoon with my girlfriend and didn't have any problems. In fact, I've never had any problems.

By the way, I love the beer cap art.

The site is over by the old Nike Missile site. Best watering hole on the Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post

Four women and three guys sunbathing. It was obvious some of us were swimming but no one was in the water when they showed up. No radio, no dogs, totally peacefull.

Johnny 5, I heard the girl who drowned was wearing her robes commonly worn by arabic women, I forgot what they are called.

That's a coincidence! Over here in the Netherlands I just saw a news item about exactly the same issue, swimming in rivers. It may look harmless but it can be very dangerous. If a ship passes by the undercurrent can suck you down. Furthermore the surface water can be of a pleasant temperature but if you venture further out of the coast the temperature can drop dramatically. If you get there by accident your muscles can be paralized by the cold and there's nothing you can do to stay up. And this is a common cause of drowning.

I know the police could have warned you a little more tactful with the right information but in a sense I think he was right.

This swim hole is a narrow canal, theres a current but nothing near dangerous. Only small boats can run through it. Ppl have been swimming at this spot for years, more likely decades, theres even a home made diving platform a friend of mine built on the opposite side of the canal.

What burns me is the cops said there were signs posted that no one was to be back in that area but its obviously a public part of a public park with paved and bridged trails as well as kiosks for maps telling you where you are and what areas you shouldnt be in such as the bird sanctuary nearby. I dont remember any signs but they said there were but were "run over" as he put it.

Django, it all comes down to perception and how your group was percieved by those particular officers. Next time I want you to go there wearing a Roman Collar and carrying the good book. When the cops are approuching stand up, lift your arms to heaven, and while holding the bible say,

Oh Lord we are blessed to be with you today, in this place with these people and using your water to baptise the forgiven in the blood of mercy and salvation! Hear me, oh Lord, as I feel your hand upon me, guiding this flock in the glory of salvation; cleansing our wretched souls in the blessings from above by touching your waters, by feeling your mercy, by hearing your call and not turning a cold heart to the wonders of nature.

Or something along those lines. The cops should back away slowly and leave you alone.

Canada or Detroit side of the island? South or east tip? Is it near the main beech?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    The site is over by the old Nike Missile site. Best watering hole on the Great Lakes.

Past Livingston Lighthouse. Follow path toward the Detroit side, cross the spillway, head down toward the right. Can't miss it.

The area directly behind the driving range?

What no e-coli warning on the Detroit side yet? I was reading the other day that the beaches on the Canadian side are now closed because e-coli is at dangerous levels.

Just to quote on the Canadian side

WINDSOR, Ont. —Sandpoint Beach has been closed because of "excessively high levels" of E. coli being found in the water.
    There's also a warning for Holiday Beach in Amherstburg, which has exceeded the acceptable amounts of E. coli in the water.
    Testing is completed once a week by the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.
    Local medical officer of health Dr. Allen Heimann said the water was collected Monday but it took until Friday for the results to come in.
    People are advised not to go in the water of any closed beach.
    Heimann said levels of E. coli that are found in closed beaches could cause children to become "seriously ill."
    Ear, eye and nose infections are possible as well as gastrointestinal infections if the water is ingested.
    © Copyright [[c) The Windsor Star

For decades I have played handball on Belle Isle then stopped of for a quick refreshing dive at the beach to cool off before the drive home. On occasion the beach has been closed, like when there are time trials for the boat races. So I go to my alternate beach.

It is just east of the Coast Guard station. It is nice natural sandy beach bowered by giant willow trees. Because of them and the embankment you are not easily visible from the road. It drops off quickly, so 15 feet out you will be up to your neck and feel seaweeds below. [One of the few things I don't like about he main beach is that one has to walk out so far to get any depth]. However the current is not an issue.

I only got chased off once, several years ago. My biggest disappointment was the building of the salmon fishing pier in the early 80's. The salmon never came and it blocked a nice view of Canada and the ships.

I have also swam off the far upriver point, but it is very rocky, rough and the currents are quirky but not dangerous if you are at least an average swimmer. The view is spectacular.

I know someone who routinely dives in right along the river walk at Hart Plaza to cool off then climbs up the ladder and disappears before the other heat is on ‘em. I’m not sure how dangerous it is but I’d be worried about hitting some sunken pilings on the way in or getting sucked into an intake pipe

I can't even imagine swimming in the Detroit Sewer, er, River.

until he threatened me with arrest because he didnt consider my bathing suit a bathing suit and would charge me with indecent exposure
    Maybe the thong was a bad idea?

I thought they were back in style Pam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Maybe the thong was a bad idea?
    Ha! I was thinking Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I can't even imagine swimming in the Detroit Sewer, er, River.
    i agree, i think the cop did a favor.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast