Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Urban Exploration Question

i know many people here are against the whole urban exploration thing, but i figured id toss out the question anyways.

has anyone ventured into the old Southwest Detroit Hospital? This one kills me everytime i drive past, i just must get in a photograph the place.

I went there and the places looks like fort knox all the doors are welded shut and it seems access is almost impossible, although i noticed some open doors at the bottom of the loading dock [[which is filled with at least 3' of the most disgusting water ive ever seen)... i would imagine this entrance is sealed with steel bars much like all the others but i am curious if that is how people get in...

im just out to photograph, no vandalism, no spray painting or tagging or looting.. i think if i don't get into these places now, they will be destroyed and i will never get to see what was inside... and then it is lost, at least photographs will last... anyways, you may not agree with it, but thats my thought. i respect others reasons for disagreeing, please respect my reasons for doing it.. so if anyone has and advice to me, a PM would be appreciated.

also, ive done some of the other UE stuff in detroit, MCS, Packard, but they are getting boring for me, I was really hoping to get into some of the downtown skyscapers, like Book or possibly some of the abandoned churches... any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

again, please remember i and only doing this as a photographer, nothing malicious..

Southwest General is pretty well sealed. There are on-site guards and regular security patrols. I've spoken briefly with someone working at the site, and while very polite and courteous, he made it clear that they were not letting anyone in. He said that we could take pictures of the exterior from street side, and that was it. I never had to use the loading dock door, but from what others have told me, the door just beyond it is sealed.

If you see the workers at the site, approach them carefully, making sure they're ok with you coming onto the property, and explain what you want to do. Who knows, you could luck out.

Whatever you do, don't break in. UE has a bad reputation on this board for a very good reason. The owners are making an effort to secure and better the property, and while you're missing out on some cool sights, respecting their rights is better for everyone.

If you do the legwork, talk to the right people, put some effort into it, getting into a place with permission is the way to go. Especially with that location.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    Southwest General is pretty well sealed. There are on-site guards and regular security patrols. I've spoken briefly with someone working at the site, and while very polite and courteous, he made it clear that they were not letting anyone in. He said that we could take pictures of the exterior from street side, and that was it. I never had to use the loading dock door, but from what others have told me, the door just beyond it is sealed.

If you see the workers at the site, approach them carefully, making sure they're ok with you coming onto the property, and explain what you want to do. Who knows, you could luck out.

Whatever you do, don't break in. UE has a bad reputation on this board for a very good reason. The owners are making an effort to secure and better the property, and while you're missing out on some cool sights, respecting their rights is better for everyone.

If you do the legwork, talk to the right people, put some effort into it, getting into a place with permission is the way to go. Especially with that location.
    thanks for the advice, i dont ever "break in" as in packard and mcs... you could pretty much dance your way inside... if there is an open door, i use it. but i would like to talk to people and get inside legit... it just seems i dont know where to start.

i have seen your work, you get into alot of places, if you could give me some tips of whom to contact for a few places of interest it would be massively appreciated.

tmy email address is williamsmitchell@gmail.com. if you could help please email me.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    That works? Can I ask if there is a way to get guided tours, then, that are above-board in that way? Ever since that time I parked at the [[I think) Michigan Theater parking garage, I have been intrigued by the idea of spelunking around in some old-time gems. But I have never done that, for numerous reasons, including that I try not to unnecessarily clutter up my rap sheet and that I make it a point to keep the falling through floorboards at a minimum. Like skydiving or what-have-you, it would only make sense to do that under the supervision of an experienced party.