Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Buffalo Wild Wings

I heard a rumor last night that the former Club Bleu location on Woodward is being looked at as a future BW3's.

Has anyone else heard this? What are your thoughts?

I personally would enjoy this establishment moving in. For being a great sports town, Detroit is lacking on great all around sport bars.

it would be great if its true, although I'm not sure that the space would be the best location for a Buffalo Wild Wings.

Being the eternal optimist, I would love for this "rumor" to be true.

However, I don't personally think it fit's their cooperate "mantra". I can see them locating in one of the newer build retail centers along Woodward by Midtown.

Wish that club was still open, had many great nights up in there!

That location would not fit BWW's minimum location requirements:
    http://franchiseinfo.buffalowildwing...e=requirements

Real Estate and Site Criteria
    • Freestanding pad-site locations, on hard corner
    • End caps
    • 4,000 - 7,000 sq. ft., 120 parking places
    • Excellent signage and visibility
    • Excellent site ingress and egress with traffic signal
    • Seven-day-per-week liquor sales

Trade Area
    • Minimum 40,000 population, 80% or greater between the ages of 20 and 50 within the trade area, $30,000 or greater median household income within the trade area
    • Minimum daytime/lunch population of 10,000

Traffic Generators

• Lifestyle or power centers with "big box" anchors; "Old Navy, Petsmart, Kohl's, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc."
    • National casual dining brands in a contiguous restaurant corridor
    • Super Wal-Mart, Super Target
    • Regional, super-regional malls
    • Colleges, universities
    • Healthcare corridors
    • Movie Theaters [[Stadium Seating)

Traffic

• Minimum daily traffic count in front of site - 25,000
    • Minimum daily traffic count on adjacent side street - 10,000
    • P.M. traffic side, far side of light

yea, Michigan isn't even listed as an available market for a new franchise.

But, you never know...

Bring back the news reels or tear that hipster schitt down.

Dan, I curious how the BWW on Nine Mile in Ferndale was able to work out. I know that there's parking in the back but that's for all of the businesses along Nine Mile. I'm sure there are enough spaces in the evenings, but I wonder about parking spaces around lunch time.

of all the chain bars excluding HOOTERS I do like BUFFALO WILD WINGS.
    Last edited by reddog289; April-26-09 at 11:39 PM. Reason: bad keyboard

If true, this sounds like good news. The Buffalo Wild Wings is popular in Ann Arbor within the downtown / U of M campus area. It would probably be pretty popular with the Wayne State students and anyone else craving wings.

Put that schitt up!!

And why it is popular in A2 I'll never know. I don't understand why people go there when they can avail themselves of much nicer establishments, except for the fact that they show every NFL games and the Jets fans needed somewhere to go.
    Having a few national chains downtown is good for various reasons, but to the extent that we get more bars-restaurants [[which is what we have the largest supply of), I'd rather not see a national chain siphon away money.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Dan, I curious how the BWW on Nine Mile in Ferndale was able to work out. I know that there's parking in the back but that's for all of the businesses along Nine Mile. I'm sure there are enough spaces in the evenings, but I wonder about parking spaces around lunch time.

I would think it had something to do with being just off of Woodward which has the traffic count and an active bar scene. That strip mall used to have an Old Navy. Theres plent of parking in Fernadale [[next to Bangkok Cafe, and also behind the new Rosies) It's also very close to Royal Oak. The University of Detroit is just south of there and Oakland Community College is just north of there.

Why is it often referred to ask BW3? I only count 2 W's in Buffalo Wild Wings.

Nevermind, I used that Google thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Why is it often referred to ask BW3? I only count 2 W's in Buffalo Wild Wings.
    the chain was originally called "Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck." hense the BW3. no one outside of Buffalo knew what weck was or wanted to eat it, so it went away.

OK. I was going to ask "What's a weck" [[and prolly fall right into some kind of joke) but I looked up weck on Wikipedia [[not Weckepedia) and got my answer. Something similar to a kaiser roll that Buffalo-ites like to eat with wings. Learn something every day!

I always thought it was Whack,

The American restaurant franchise Buffalo Wild Wings is formerly known as BW3, and this fact raises the question as to the meaning of the third 'W' in the former name. The abbreviation came from the original full name of the restaurant, Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. The chain no longer serves weck outside of Western New York and no longer uses the original name but does still use the extra "W" in its abbreviation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kummelweck

gravitymachine Guest

i grew up in western ny and this is the first time i've heard of "weck"

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    And why it is popular in A2 I'll never know. I don't understand why people go there when they can avail themselves of much nicer establishments,
    Thank you. I live two blocks away from BWW on State Street, but haven't been in there for two years. So many other great restaurants to choose from.

Default Weck

Potbellies has "A Wreck" salad. I wonder if they have the same roots.

Angry Dad Guest

Got to admit, I like some of the BW3 flavors but don't care for some of the locations.

The best description I've heard for what BW 3 is, is that it is a McDonalds with a liquor license.

Bw3's was rumured some time ago to be going into the Studio One apartments in Midtown. I'm not sure why that one fell apart but I think that its a much better location than Club Blue.

The location in Rochester is nice!

wings are good..

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    The location in Rochester is nice!
    but the service is terrible. At least it was the three times I went there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast