Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wayne County Airport Funny Robot

I once had a stopover in Detroit on the way to Los Angeles in 1990 and there was this robot who would engage travelers in the Northwest Airlines lounge. He was maybe a hefty human size machine remotely controlled by a standup comic with a really fast delivery. He would make comments about the people he talked to. This was great comic relief because it was totally surprising in what can be either an excruciatingly boring or stressful setting. Anyone know more about this? Does this spiel still exist?

Sorry Norm Peterson is no longer at the Cheers bar. In fact the whole building is gone!

Good One Detroitplanner!!!

Here is a link I found on the place:
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...5/ai_10400349/

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Sorry Norm Peterson is no longer at the Cheers bar. In fact the whole building is gone!
    And yet the portable telephones seem to have arrived...
    Quote Originally Posted by the article View Post
    Future additions to the lounges will be portable telephones and flight screens listing departure and arrival times.

^ What did they do before computerized arrival/departure screens?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I'm not really sure but I recall old movies where a public address speaker would be constantly announcing "Now arriving at gate ..."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by English

I'm not really sure but I recall old movies where a public address speaker would be constantly announcing "Now arriving at gate ..."
    Electro-mechanical annunciator boards like this one.