Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Detroit Gets Smart With Cobo

Detroit and the Cobo Authority has some good news. Well, it doesn't sound like good news until you read into the article.

Cobo scales back expansion plan

'Cobo Center officials will focus on a scaled-back 25,000 square-foot expansion and internal efficiency improvements before embarking the larger expansion discussed in the past.

The move came this morning after a consultant’s report showed Cobo’s current size is adequate for most of the events it could expect to attract.

“Significant additions of space should not be a near term priority,” consultant John Kaatz said in a report to the Cobo authority. Kaatz’s company, Convention Sports and Leisure of Minneapolis, helped draft a strategic plan for Cobo. It emphasizes flexibility and efficiency before adding space...
    More HERE;

http://www.freep.com/article/20100701/NEWS01/100701043/1322/Cobo-scales-back-expansion-plan

I must say, I spent last week in Cobo [[for the USSF) and found it clean and spacious. The workers were friendly and helpful [[except in the bar where the waitress wouldn't take credit cards) and the bathrooms were always clean. Go Cobo!

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    I must say, I spent last week in Cobo [[for the USSF) and found it clean and spacious. The workers were friendly and helpful [[except in the bar where the waitress wouldn't take credit cards) and the bathrooms were always clean. Go Cobo!
    I agree. I don't know what's happened, but I found the facility pretty decent. The USSF have had great things to say about their time in Detroit, as well as other national conventions that have come to the city. I am a member of a graduate chapter of a sorority, and one of the other sororities had their national convention -- AKA -- in 2006. They loved it, and now a fraternity will be here next year. Usually those events are Social Forum sized -- around 10,000 people.

I think this renovation will be just what the doctor ordered. Kudos, Detroit!

Who governs Cobo right now? Is it currently under regional control?

Default Detroit News: Cobo Expansion

Sounds like things are moving forward with the Cobo renovation a bit under the radar, but still good to see!! I wonder about the Seattle's Best coffee....will it only be available to guests who come into Cobo, or to outside pedestrians, too? I'd be inclined to stop in real quick to pick up a drink if there were a few 10 minute parking spots designated somewhere out front.

December 14. 2010 3:07PM
    Cobo expansion to be complete in time for 2012 auto show

Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

Cobo Center continues to undergo a multimillion dollar renovation, with an expansion expected to be completed in time for the 2012 Detroit auto show, executives in charge of the project said today.

A number of improvements, including updates to the food court, have been completed as the $80 million second phase of renovations begins, said Larry Alexander, chairman of the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority.

Completed or in the works:—$20 million paid to the city of Detroit for Cobo Arena and parking—$3.5 million for repairs and upgrades for the 2010 North American International Auto Show—$6.5 million for upgrades and replacement of heating and cooling as well as fire safety—$4.4 million to repair and replace escalators, improve exhibit hall lighting and emergency generators—$40 million to begin the 25,000-square-foot expansion of the Oakland Hall Annex. The expansion should be completed in time for the 2012 Detroit auto show, Alexander said.

Thom Connors, regional vice president and Cobo's general manager, said visitors will see a number of completed improvements, including an improved food court and a Seattle's Best coffee stand.

Connors said he wants to put more Detroit in the Cobo Convention Center.
    "There is not a lot of things in the Cobo Center that say Detroit," he said.

Last Friday, upscale Italian restaurant Andiamo took over running The Vue restaurant in Cobo Center. In addition, the Detroit Beer Co. will begin being served at The Vue and at the musically themed Eatsville, a café that will bring local cuisine to visitors.

sburgess@detnews.com

[[313) 223-3217

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20101214/...#ixzz189EHWDZP

They should consider installing windows along the river. Who builds a solid brick wall when you have a view like that?

There's a small part of me that misses a comment of two from the likes of Monica Conyers.
    This story comes across as too normal.

Limiting the increase in size at this point and moving on from there makes all the sense in the world.
    Unless of course if that Minneapolis company is being payed off by the Minneapolis Convention Bureau to help stunt the growth of a competitor for conventions.
    There's a Monica like comment for you.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    They should consider installing windows along the river. Who builds a solid brick wall when you have a view like that?
    Bricklayers?!

Apparently their union was better connected than the glazers. Ahem.

Don't forget what the river USED to be like when Cobo was originally designed.

If Seattle's Best charges the same rate as the other vendor in the lobby, which appeared to be AIRPORT and STADIUM usury pricing, you won't want to waste the steps. Especially when the lobby of the Guardian is only a few blocks away, where you can get fabulous espresso and coffee, and be awed by the architecture.

Cheers

There goes another one of the crown jewels!

There are a lot of meeting rooms or ballrooms in Cobo that have wonderful river views. The issue is that these are typically underutilized and during the Auto Show these are where the suppliers are wooing the media or auto execs.

What I would like to see is the space along Atwater converted for restraunts. This would improve the interaction between Cobo and the riverwalk tremendously. Not only would these eateries benefit from conventions, but from events at Joe Louis, walkers along the riverfront....

I am really hoping the outside of this building gets a much needed facelift in the next 3-5 years...

Cobo would be much improved if the contractors installed giant floor to ceiling windows along the riverfront side.

Apparently there are some misconceptions about Cobo in regards to the history and layout of Cobo Center....

1) The side facing thre river has NOT changed since Cobo was built in the early 1960s. It is still red brick. CAY had Cobo expanded northwards [[to Congress) and eastwards [[towards Washington Blvd.). The west side also had a new facade added as well as the relocation of the spiral ramp for rooftop parking. The south riverfront end of Cobo [[including the several floors of "windowed" ballrooms and meeting rooms, and the hallway/escalators where the Sports Hall of Fame were... this was to undergo an additional $25 million upgrade to match that of the other 3 facades. Unfortunately CAY never did get financing for that part of Cobo... so both the exterior and interior it still show the 1960s look.

2) The riverside part of Cobo DOES have windows... for all the ballrooms and many meeting rooms that line the south side of the complex. The main ballroom of Cobo has floor-to-ceiling windows along the river. The main convention halls of Cobo DO NOT go as far as the riverside of Cobo... and none of them [[Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Detroit) have any windows. The lower level of the riverfront side of Cobo [[where Atwater St. runs underneath the ballroom overhang)... is lacking in windows... but then there's no meeting or convention space directly behind it.

3) before doing any additional Cobo facelifts... they need to modernize the 1960s brick faced riverfront side of Cobo to match the stone faced more modern other 3 sides of the building.

hopefully progress will continue without any crazy scandals or funding flameouts..

So if I am reading the article right, including the 25,000 sq. ft expansion, they have spent 80 million of the 300 million they have to use. Correct? So they have 220 million dollars for a later renovation/larger expansion. Correct?

I have a buddy who works for the building management firm that was hired to come in. Previously, the city was in charge of it. Building codes were not met, none of the workers could answer any questions.

It's nice to see that things are on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Apparently there are some misconceptions about Cobo in regards to the history and layout of Cobo Center....

1) The side facing thre river has NOT changed since Cobo was built in the early 1960s. It is still red brick. CAY had Cobo expanded northwards [[to Congress) and eastwards [[towards Washington Blvd.). The west side also had a new facade added as well as the relocation of the spiral ramp for rooftop parking. The south riverfront end of Cobo [[including the several floors of "windowed" ballrooms and meeting rooms, and the hallway/escalators where the Sports Hall of Fame were... this was to undergo an additional $25 million upgrade to match that of the other 3 facades. Unfortunately CAY never did get financing for that part of Cobo... so both the exterior and interior it still show the 1960s look.

2) The riverside part of Cobo DOES have windows... for all the ballrooms and many meeting rooms that line the south side of the complex. The main ballroom of Cobo has floor-to-ceiling windows along the river. The main convention halls of Cobo DO NOT go as far as the riverside of Cobo... and none of them [[Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Detroit) have any windows. The lower level of the riverfront side of Cobo [[where Atwater St. runs underneath the ballroom overhang)... is lacking in windows... but then there's no meeting or convention space directly behind it.

3) before doing any additional Cobo facelifts... they need to modernize the 1960s brick faced riverfront side of Cobo to match the stone faced more modern other 3 sides of the building.
    It's the other three sides that are hard on the eyes... Hopefully the entire facade gets a facelift at some point, it is one ugly building.

There is speculation that COBO is to be completely replaced with a bigger, better convention center in the not too distant future. I assume that the present updates are mostly cosmetic to keep the auto show coming back and to retain some of the city's convention business. Overall, COBO should not live to see the dawn of another decade. Once the Wings are out of JLA, that whole corner of downtown is going to be up for redevelopment.