Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default RIP Julie Hecker

Detroit loses another of its finest promotors.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...uru-dead-at-44

So vibrant, so young, so fit, so unfair. How sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Detroit loses another of its finest promotors.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...uru-dead-at-44
    Condolensenses to her family but I can't help but see 'One of Detroit's greatest promoters, of Royal Oak' that just jumps out.

I can't help but think the best way to 'promote' a city is to actually live there.

Huh??? Divisive attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Huh??? Divisive attitude?
    Nothing divisive about it, just a reality.
    The city of Detroit has tens of thousands of supporters that happen to live outside the city.

The reality is that the city needs [[a) residents and [[b) tax revenue. 'Promoting the city while living outside it doesn't contribute anything to [[a) and little to [[b).

I know I'm an ass but until all of these 'promoters' move back o the city there won't be any major improvements. Let's all move out of the city, then promote it. How does it end up?

Detroit needs all the friends it can get, no matter where they actually live. BTW: Ladies of detroityes, as in Julie's story, being in your 40s is NOT too young to have a heart attack. Even in your 30s if you are at high risk. The symptoms of a heart attack are different in women; know what they are: http://www.womensheart.org/content/H...toms_risks.asp

This is an inappropriate place to debate the issue of suburbanites being true supporters of Detroit proper. You don't have to live in the city to want to make it better. You don't have to live in the city to spend money in it, either. Go put your foot in your mouth in another thread.

Rest in peace Julie. My heart goes out to your family and countless friends. We love you.

Shove it Jt1. Your comments are inappropriate and disrespectful.

I can't help but think the best way to 'promote' a city is to actually live there.
    If you read the article it doesn't mention her promoting the city, just her involvement in the music scene. [[Which has always been spread around the whole area.)

RIP. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Nothing divisive about it, just a reality.
    The city of Detroit has tens of thousands of supporters that happen to live outside the city.

The reality is that the city needs [[a) residents and [[b) tax revenue. 'Promoting the city while living outside it doesn't contribute anything to [[a) and little to [[b).

I know I'm an ass but until all of these 'promoters' move back o the city there won't be any major improvements. Let's all move out of the city, then promote it. How does it end up?
    Seriously dude.......find another bowl of corn flakes to water this morning. Should you just attend her services and picket too?

RIP Julie.......

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    This is an inappropriate place to debate the issue of suburbanites being true supporters of Detroit proper. You don't have to live in the city to want to make it better. You don't have to live in the city to spend money in it, either. Go put your foot in your mouth in another thread.

Rest in peace Julie. My heart goes out to your family and countless friends. We love you.
    Nowhere did I say that people can't promote or support the city from the suburbs. There are many people in the suburbs that do many great things for the city. The simple fact of the matter is that the city needs residents and living here is the best way to promote the city.

I offer my condolensces to her family and hope they can manage to get past these trying times.
    Last edited by jt1; July-02-10 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    If you read the article it doesn't mention her promoting the city, just her involvement in the music scene. [[Which has always been spread around the whole area.)
    The article just scratched the surface. Through the groups she put together, Detroit Punk Fitness and Motor City Rah Rahs, they were involved in promoting countless events in the city. I doubt she ever got paid. Punk Fitness is scheduled to be involved with the New Center Park fest this weekend. I hope the girls find the strength to continue without her. Julie was a shining light, I'm lucky to have known her.

Very sad. Always entertaining to see her at The Belmont. Godspeed.

Odd that someone who was known for her cardio workouts would die from a heart attack. Perhaps she had a hidden heart defect like some of the young athletes you have died so prematurely.
    May she rest in peace

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The article just scratched the surface. Through the groups she put together, Detroit Punk Fitness and Motor City Rah Rahs, they were involved in promoting countless events in the city. I doubt she ever got paid. Punk Fitness is scheduled to be involved with the New Center Park fest this weekend. I hope the girls find the strength to continue without her. Julie was a shining light, I'm lucky to have known her.
    Thanks for the info. Obviously, I didn't know her. Condolences to the family and friends.

Rest in peace...my condolences to anyone who knew her or knows her family.

This just breaks my heart. I met Julie back when she was doing Punk Fitness at the Painted Lady in Hamtramck in 2005. What a great person--enthusiastic, energetic, kind, and giving. A true inspiration to all of us older ladies. The last time I saw her was at last year's Hamtramck Labor Day Festival--she and her mom hung out for hours at the "festival central" tent, and we boogied on stage together with the rest of the Detroit Rah Rahs to the Polish Muslims. Godspeed, Jules. You are one of a kind.

Here's my goodbye to her - http://www.detnews.com/melodyblog - at the bottom there are links to two well-written pieces on her from other friends.

Bummer, this person can not be replaced, she was one of a kind. I will always think of her when I work out and then go to the bar for a burger & beer. She would always say, at least your working out.

RIP Julie...I will miss you....you were a good friend to me and countless others.

Stromberg2

RIP Julie...

Great link. THANKS. I lost a friend to heart disease in this age range.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Detroit needs all the friends it can get, no matter where they actually live. BTW: Ladies of detroityes, as in Julie's story, being in your 40s is NOT too young to have a heart attack. Even in your 30s if you are at high risk. The symptoms of a heart attack are different in women; know what they are: http://www.womensheart.org/content/H...toms_risks.asp

There will be a benefit/memorial for Julie and her family at Small's Bar on Friday, July 9. I'll post more details here as they develop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast