Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Interest check: free film / slide scanning of historic images

So.

I was talking to Dan at buildingsofdetroit.com about how difficult it was to find historic images of the city to use on our websites that weren't copyrighted, copies-of-copies, or very small.

A lot of threads on here have great historic pictures that aren't available anywhere else, thanks to the hard work DetroitYes members scanning in their old negatives and slides. But because of the cost and difficulty of scanning, I wonder how many more images of Detroit are sitting in shoe boxes in attics or closets where no one will ever see them?

A modest proposal: If you could have your negatives, slides, possibly even prints scanned for free, would you be willing to release them to the public domain under one of the Creative Commons licenses?

Just an idea.

Might have to promote this to the less tech-savvy Detroiters.

Here is a link to Wayne State universities old Aerials Dating back to 1949 they got all kinds of images of most of south eastern Michigan counties but they are all good quality, I'm guessing there from microfilm, but i can't be sure.

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/photos/ap_index.htm#wayne

I fall into the range of "less tech" savvy. Having done historical research I do understand constraints on photo usage and copyright laws. Perhaps people could post photos and give permission to use freely?