Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: New Center Park

Default New Center Park

opens this weekend. No CityFest though.

http://www.newcenterpark.com/

Formally Comerica Taste Fest

A new park opening? Really? The city is planning on closing 77 parks so what the hell? I dont get it. What up with this?

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    A new park opening? Really? The city is planning on closing 77 parks so what the hell? I dont get it. What up with this?
    I believe this park will be maintained by New Center Council, not the CoD.

I hope they bring back the Taste Fest. That's one of Detroit's best festivals...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I hope they bring back the Taste Fest. That's one of Detroit's best festivals...
    Agreed. I'm really bummed they're not having it this year.

anyone else check out the pix? I couldn't find a single black guy on the construction crew. It is stuff like that that gives Joann Watson all the ammo she needs.

i mean really, in a city of 900,000 you couldn't find even one black guy to be on the crew?

You're right, that's pretty surprising. One of those whatzits, cherry pickers maybe, is labeled Oakland. Maybe they're a contractor based in Oakland?

Anyway, even if, it looks like it'll be a nice park.

Nice to have one more plot of maintained green space! There is a lot of hype given to the riverfront, Campus Martius, and a few other green spaces around the city, and while it's all due, I think they sometimes overshadow the other successful green spaces around the city. This is good for the New Center neighborhood....if I were a hot dog vendor, I might set up my cart there, since I image on nice summer days there's a lot of people from nearby offices looking to find a nice park bench.
    Last edited by Rocko; July-02-10 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling error

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    ...if I were a hot god vendor...
    That'd be an interesting line of work.

This isn't a new park. The Park has been there for years. What is new are the events. They used to have these back in the 1980s.

The city is planning on closing 77 parks so what the hell?
    No, they aren't.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    anyone else check out the pix? I couldn't find a single black guy on the construction crew. It is stuff like that that gives Joann Watson all the ammo she needs.

i mean really, in a city of 900,000 you couldn't find even one black guy to be on the crew?
    ...and did you see that machine that said "Oakland" on the side. What gives? Why not Wayne?

...and there's a picture of a white lady holding a black child.

Seriously, the construction pictures show a total of like 5 people [[the same three guys are in most of the pictures), and look like they were taken on a select day or two. Funding for this thing came from Skillman, HUD, several places, and coordinated by the New Center Council. Those I know who work and own companies that do construction in the city feel just the opposite about the construction crews. I'm not aware of any exceptions to what I've been told are strict minority and residency requirements for work. I realize that you were talking about a specific minority, but it seems a hasty to make assumptions based on those pictures. Maybe I'm missing something.

...and Joann Watson doesn't need pictures or facts to load herself up.

Maybe being anxious to start the weekend is making me cranky.

I realize the park itself is not brand new...however, they've done some serious work there, including regrading some of the landscaping, among other upgrades in lighting, benches, and a building for meeting, etc.

I finally went to this VENUE last night.

It is called a park, but it is a live music venue without peer in the city now.

Mike and his gang really knocked this one OUT of the park, it is easily the finest outdoor music venue in the city. Bar none...even Chene Park Amphitheater, for many reasons [[all exacerbated by the horrible management of that spot).

The sound system is comprised of similar stuff to the venerable Crofoot up in Pontiac, but with a HUGE difference...the sound guy in New Center Park is beyond competent, and he obviously can still hear. Had a great chat with him, and was overjoyed with his enthusiasm and positive demeanor.

They have an indoor bar area with great bathrooms [[I can only attest to the men's room), a green room for band preparation...and a smoking area off the alley. There is a strict no-smoking policy on the lawn. Everything is impeccably clean. Mike himself was watering the plants...which proves his dedication to the survival of this place.

I didn't know until last night that he is responsible for Northern Lights, too. Haven't had that much experience there, but they've always been good ones.

So...if anyone wants to hear some of the best live music in the city...I heartily recommend any event at New Center Park.

Cheers and more,
    John

New Center Park is more of an outdoor event space than an actual park.

I second the venue. Great atmosphere, and nice little bar too.

I was happy to see they installed a couple bike racks at the entrance on W. Grand, and even happier to see the bar setup. Nice addition to a great intersection.

New Center park was a jumping place in the 80's.
    When the Normandie bar was right next door.

Good bands on Wednesday nights

Then Normandie closed and Ford Hospital put up a new building glad they save the park.

When I was talking to the bartender, her associate threw a few keychain fobs at us...and showed us how to 'draw' on the countertop. It is covered in luminescent paint, which was supposed to charge up in the daytime sunshine and glow in the night...but the roof doesn't allow enough energy for that...so they realized tiny flashlights allow some fun when you're bored.

It was a trip...and a great idea.

Hot Club of Detroit is there this Thursday. They usually put on a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    New Center Park is more of an outdoor event space than an actual park.
    That's a good way to describe New Center Park, as I don't believe it is open except for scheduled events. And just like an event space, they have rules, such as no outside food or beverages. When we went to Thornetta Davis last month on the hottest day of the year, we had packed a cooler with water and we're not allowed to bring it in. Thankfully their prices on bottled water were reasonable at $2/bottle [[at least when compared to other venues such as DTE or Comerica Park).

Still it was a very nice listening venue. Just be sure to check out their website before you go!!

Since all the shows are free, I don't mind spending $4 for a beer. They serve reasonably priced middle-eastern food, too. The atmosphere makes you feel as though you are in a real, functioning city. I dig it.