Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Cops kicked us off the field at Tiger stadium yesterday

Not sure if anyone caught the channel 4 news yesterday, but we had a baseball game scheduled on the field and the cops came and kicked everyone out.

I couldn't believe the Police officer actually drive his cruiser on the field up to home plate to tell everyone to leave.

Do the police in this town have anything better to do?

If I owned the land, I'd kick you off too. I'd be worried that you would sue me if one of your team members tripped running to first base. You probably would and then I'd have settle over a few hundred thousand dollars.

You may think it's crazy, but my office building made us sign tons of paperwork to use a rooftop basketball court 23 stories up. And if anyone gets injured, we basically lose our privileges until we promise to play safe and non-competitive. If one basketball goes through the windows and falls to street level, the facility is closed permanently

So basically there's your answer why the cops showed up. Yeah it seems stupid, but nobody ever wants to be held responsible. Parks are insured for athletics, that piece of property probably is not at the moment.
    Last edited by wolverine; July-01-10 at 01:44 AM.

You make several compelling points, born out of our litigious society.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    If I owned the land, I'd kick you off too. I'd be worried that you would sue me if one of your team members tripped running to first base. You probably would and then I'd have settle over a few hundred thousand dollars.

You may think it's crazy, but my office building made us sign tons of paperwork to use a rooftop basketball court 23 stories up. And if anyone gets injured, we basically lose our privileges until we promise to play safe and non-competitive. If one basketball goes through the windows and falls to street level, the facility is closed permanently

So basically there's your answer why the cops showed up. Yeah it seems stupid, but nobody ever wants to be held responsible. Parks are insured for athletics, that piece of property probably is not at the moment.

Its called an attractive nuisance, just like your back yard pool....If someone hurts themselves you are responsible. However....do people hurt themselves on Detroit playgrounds? How many lawsuits have come of that or Belle Isle....how many suits have come from people playing baseball on one of the fields there? This is stupid in my humble opinion....let them play there.

Are they tresppassing, would they complain if the police stopped them from playing inside the Packard Plant?

Such audacity!

To think they can play baseball in an empty lot and get away with it.

Next, they'll be thinking they can ride their bicycles in the street!

Retroit Guest

Maybe you and those who would like to use this field could contact the city council and mayor and ask that the field be turned into a public park.

...of course, the city would have to close it like all the other parks.

If it's land owned by the city and isn't fenced off and nothings posted, can they really tell you to leave. Land owned by the city technically is public property, isn't it?

You might damage the field. Anyway, thank goodness that eyesore is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    If it's land owned by the city and isn't fenced off and nothings posted, can they really tell you to leave. Land owned by the city technically is public property, isn't it?
    Technically they can. A friend of mine who runs a pool supply store had a customer buy a pool cover. A neighbor kid broke through his fence twice to use his pool. He called the police both times with proof of the break-in. The third time the kid jumped on the pool cover, got tangled up and drown. His parents sued this guy and won even though there were cited complaints again the kid breaking though the fence.

We live in a "I can sue anyone for any reason" society.

Yeah, I get all the points about suing people. It's just that it's a catch-22, which is BS.

"Hey! You can't go on there! That's private property!"

OK, that is can understand, but.

"Hey! You can't go on there! That's public property!"

And so it goes ...

Amazing how they show up there but not in some neighborhoods.

There is no signs and the gates are wide open

Why is there a CLAUDE G and a Claude G.?

Reminds me of that book "Wrath of the Tiger" by Claude Bawls.

Hmmm... interesting dilemma here. I see your point but then technically any municipal building is also publicly owned but it doesn't give us the right to go skulk about City Hall at 3:30 in the morning either. My guess is that the City should be able to secure that property somehow and be able to shoo anyone off of it as they see fit IF they post it. Obviously the City needs to cordon off this area or at least post signs around Tiger Stadium. At least give the general public SOME notice that we're not supposed to be there.

In this case, no one was aware that there was a trespass happening. So the cops did the right thing by doing their job and i don't see any harm or foul in any of this. We're all the wiser for it now, aren't we?

Maybe?

You know what would be really cool....build a stadium on that empty lot....and invite MLB. It's a great concept....sorta like, if you build it...they will come! Oh wait...that already happened.

I understand the sentiment about the police having better things to do and also the concern regarding police response elsewhere in the city. However, the field is in a very visible location near downtown, so I am not surprised a police office would notice and respond, even if on his way someplace else. Still, it is unfortunate that these people could not enjoy their game.

Maybe you should try to play hockey where the Olympia was next?

Yes and no. Even if we pretend it's a public park where anyone can enter, they can still regulate your activity. There's a public square in my neighborhood owned by the city but they still successfully kick the homeless out without any legal problems, because of their associated activities. Certain activities can be deemed acceptable or unacceptable for that space, which can give the city the right to remove you for non-compliance.

Why aren't the lawsuits flying at Detroit's other parks? Well many people don't find it worth the time and effort, and even worse if they lose and have to fork up a bunch of legal fees. Also all public parks in Detroit are likely insured against any accidents.

everything between the dugouts is still there isn't it? [[pardon my ignorance from Windsor)
    if i was the city i would also be concerned about people burning the rest of it down, climbing into the rafters and falling to their death, etc, etc.......people are pretty dumb sometimes.

stupid yes, but it makes sense. after all, if the city gets sued by one of these people getting hurt, ultimatly aren't you guys the ones that have to pay?

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    Maybe you should try to play hockey where the Olympia was next?
    Tough to play hockey with National Guard Humvees parked in the way.

stupid yes, but it makes sense. after all, if the city gets sued by one of these people getting hurt, ultimatly aren't you guys the ones that have to pay?
    Damn, you mean I could have sued for the bruises and scratches I received playing alley ball as a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Tough to play hockey with National Guard Humvees parked in the way.
    Hi-tech Zambonis??

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Yes and no. Even if we pretend it's a public park where anyone can enter, they can still regulate your activity. There's a public square in my neighborhood owned by the city but they still successfully kick the homeless out without any legal problems, because of their associated activities. Certain activities can be deemed acceptable or unacceptable for that space, which can give the city the right to remove you for non-compliance.

Why aren't the lawsuits flying at Detroit's other parks? Well many people don't find it worth the time and effort, and even worse if they lose and have to fork up a bunch of legal fees. Also all public parks in Detroit are likely insured against any accidents.

Pretty sure the city self insures. Someone sues and the city settles or loses, the cost is on the back of taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Damn, you mean I could have sued for the bruises and scratches I received playing alley ball as a kid?
    I'm pretty sure you've noticed that society has become much more litiguous in the last 40-50 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast