Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit really is Paris of the Midwest

"The Double" is currently being filmed in Detroit, though it's made to look like Paris, among other cities. The movie, featuring Richard Gere, Martin Sheen and Topher Grace will entirely be filmed in metro Detroit.

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...ichard_ge.html

I don't get how, Detroit only used to look like Paris, it hardly does anymore.

certain neighbirhoods especially like Harmonie Park when the film is being shot DEF does...and to a lesser extent at least bny virtue of some of the older architecture in the older parts of the city....

I think you meant to say that Detroit is the "Paris of the West" which was once the nickname for Detroit at the turn of the 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I think you meant to say that Detroit is the "Paris of the West" which was once the nickname for Detroit at the turn of the 20th century.
    No, that's not what I meant. I've always heard Midwest. Look at the first paragraph of the article, or any books on Detroit's history. Whichever it is, it really doesn't matter so lets leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    certain neighbirhoods especially like Harmonie Park when the film is being shot DEF does...and to a lesser extent at least by virtue of some of the older architecture in the older parts of the city....
    Oh yeah, you're right about that, Harmonie Park kinda fits the bill actually.

That's what the Location Manager said as well, that in Metro Detroit, you've got a real diversity of architecture & locations in close proximity. Which is why they're filming in Detroit when their movie is set in Paris, DC, Moscow, Switzerland, and a bunch of locations.

I always heard it called the Paris of the Midwest, not the West. Of course, somebody named soulier commented on the story linked to above that "After all, Detroit is the Paris of the southeast corner of lower Michigan!" Which, I guess they're not boosting with that statement, but I for one am amused.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    certain neighbirhoods especially like Harmonie Park when the film is being shot DEF does...
    Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Oh yeah, you're right about that, Harmonie Park kinda fits the bill actually.
    What is all this talk about a "Harmonie Park"? I know no park in Detroit named "Harmonie Park". I know Campus Martius, Capitol, Paradise Valley....

Oh ja, it's in Germantown, I used to go there all the time for my Bratwurst.

Here is another article, this one gives some of the locations they are shooting and tells about the actors. The Free Press garage is Moscow Hospital in the movie, Coaches Corner is Paris cafe and the Old Wayne County Building is the U.S. Embassy in Paris.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...ble-in-Detroit-

Wikipedia states... "During the late 1800s and early 1900s, many of the city's Gilded Age mansions and buildings arose. Detroit was referred to as the Paris of the West for its architecture, and for Washington Boulevard, recently electrified by Thomas Edison.[19]"

In Paris, if you go half way up the Eiffel Tower, there is Eiffel's old office there. There are figures of him and Thomas Edison with a prototype of the phonograph in there that Edison had given as a gift to his friend Eiffel. I thought it amazing to stand there and look out over the lights of Paris and hear the music from the streets below. Made me really appreciate the works of these two men. So, reading that Detroit was called the 'Paris of the West' partially due to its electrification by Edison makes sense to me and I think could be the actual source of the expression.

Ah yes, Coaches Corner, archetypal Paris Cafe, what with it's upstairs railing made of baseball bats... :-D

Notwithstanding my mockery, this is a justified feel-good story for Detroit, of course. I hope Coaches is getting some autographs for framing and hanging in the bar. Those are going to lend the joint a real air of something in 20 or 30 years.

Yes Detroit is just like Paris.....was in 1944 bombed out!!! Oh did I say that out loud? Was it for a war movie?

Breaking News from a film insider:

Another movie is set to be filmed on the same block of East Grand River, this time inside the building that houses Coaches Corner [[230 East Grand River). The movie is called "Vamps" [[about Vampires) and stars Sigourney Weaver and is being produced in part by the studio in Allen Park. Shooting at the building will take place over a course of five days.

Hollywood really has come to Michigan. Will they stay? We have yet to find out, but it is starting to appear that way.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Yes Detroit is just like Paris.....was in 1944 bombed out!!! Oh did I say that out loud? Was it for a war movie?
    When in 1944 was Paris bombed?

They better film it all quickly. At the rate at which Detroit destroys its past, it'll only be good for the sequel to "Wolfen". But then they used the South Bronx for that and I don't think that area has gotten cleaned up yet.

I guess it depends on what you mean by cleaned up, but the South Bronx is definitely in the process of changing, getting a bunch of stores, that kind of thing. It ain't Manhattan, that's for sure, but it's certainly not as bad as it was.

That being said, nobody's going to start calling it the Paris of the Northeast or anything.
    Last edited by fryar; July-03-10 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    When in 1944 was Paris bombed?
    Don't take is so literally...it was a joke.....I can not beleive that people on this site can't understand when someone is joking or poking fun. Paris was liberated in 1944 by the alies. Lots of destruction....do you get it now?

Uhhh Searay...Paris wasn't bombed out in WWII? Yes Hitler wanted it razed but his Generals decided that would be a foolish thing to do to such a beautiful city. However the Krauts did bomb it somewhat in WWI. Perhaps you are confused?

Actually there was very little to no destruction in Paris in WWII. France yes, Paris no.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Uhhh Searay...Paris wasn't bombed out in WWII? Yes Hitler wanted it razed but his Generals decided that would be a foolish thing to do to such a beautiful city. However the Krauts did bomb it somewhat in WWI. Perhaps you are confused?

Actually there was very little to no destruction in Paris in WWII. France yes, Paris no.
    Thank you for the history lesson OLD GOAT..... it still was a joke!!!!!! Lighten up!!!!!!!

Can you imagine what Hollywood would do if Brush Park was restored to it's Victorian glory? They could do an outdoor period shot with a dolly-cam! Talk about pee-in-you-pants excitement!

We have so much great architecture, that we accommodate a different neighborhood setting for every decade...20s, 30s, 40s, etc.

Bearinabox Guest

Thank you for the history lesson OLD GOAT..... it still was a joke!!!!!! Lighten up!!!!!!!
    Jokes are only funny when they make sense.

Try putting a sarcastic smilie face on the end of your "joke" next time. Can't tell from your posts whether you're serious or not.

^True that. On a message board it can be pretty hard to tell if someone is joking. I usually put the smiley that has their tongue sticking out at the end of mine like this, :-p

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    ^True that. On a message board it can be pretty hard to tell if someone is joking. I usually put the smiley that has their tongue sticking out at the end of mine like this, :-p
    Yeah, that's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Try putting a sarcastic smilie face on the end of your "joke" next time. Can't tell from your posts whether you're serious or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Jokes are only funny when they make sense.
    Thanks for the tip kathy2trips....and for you my Bearinabox friend....I will remember to make sure they are funny.....I might even go on The Last Comic Standing...with a little help from you. Does that help?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast