Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking to purchase a Birch Tree

Just wondering if anyone knows where one can buy a White Birch Tree. I've found River birches, but I just can't find a white birch at any of the places that sell trees.

I've found them on-line but they are usually pretty small and I'm looking for something in the 6 to 8 foot range.

Here is a pic.:

You can't beat Davey Tree for tree advice.

Ask them about birch diseases. We had to cut down a dead birch a few years ago. I vaguely recall that there was some disease killing them in this area.

Jimaz is right, White Birch are difficult to grow around here, are subject to some kind of borer type worm that kills it from the inside out. They are neearly impossible to avoid or kill. You might want to talk to an arborist or your county extension service before you buy.

White birches really don't like our warmer climate around here. That's why, when you travel to the UP, they are everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    Jimaz is right, White Birch are difficult to grow around here, are subject to some kind of borer type worm that kills it from the inside out. They are nearly impossible to avoid or kill. You might want to talk to an arborist or your county extension service before you buy.
    That's what that was! We had another birch stump that had lingered for years and overnight it turned to sawdust. I found three fat white grubs in the dust.

It's a shame. They're beautiful trees.

They need cold freezing winters to survive, I guess because that kills the bugs. We are having trouble now with our birches in the eastern UP because the winters have been so much warmer [[as in few days below zero, and I mean 'way below zero.)

there are several Birch trees in my neighborhood [[warren) and they have been there as long as I can remember...I had no idea they didnt like this area you learn something new everyday

Retroit Guest

The Indian Paper Trees.

We had a big white birch in our front yard on the east side for many years. A large branch was taken out by an ice storm in the early '80s and that was all it took for the borers to take hold. The tree was dead in 2 years. By the late '90s every birch in the neighborhood had been taken out by the borers. Our tree guy told us that all it takes is an injury that opens and weakens the tree, or even a couple of winters without a protracted hard freeze. I don't think planting one around here would be a good idea these days.

Since they are slow growing and disease prone, most nurseries are probably reluctant to handle large sizes. You could hire a landscape company to extract a 10 ft tree with a machine that creates a ball from the forest up north for a nice chuck of change. Not sure if they are able to be transplated.
    Porcupine Hollow Farm in Mason Michigan has native white birch 800-568-9179. Ray Wiegands Nursery in Macomb might have them. Torre & Bruglio 800-996-1692 & Vidosh 248-335-1123 are commercial landscape companies that would be able to handle a large birch trees. Working at Vidosh, I plant about 10 12ft pine trees a day with a backhoe.

My parents have had two of them in their yard for the 15 years they have lived at their home. They have never had any issues with it and they are both healthy as they can seem to be.

Had a very large one in my yard growing up as well. My parents needed to have it sprayed on a regular basis to ward off the bugs... Still, one of the most beautiful and unique trees... This one is HUGE. Probably predated the neighborhood [[which was built in the 1940s).

You might do a litle better with growing a Birch if it is protected with the shade of another tree. Where I live, Birch trees only grow naturally on the south slopes of hills where they are better shaded from the mid-day sun.

wow, thanks for all the advice. I should have added to my query that I'm looking to replace a birch that was destroyed during last week's storms. The tree belonged to my wife's aunt and uncle and they really loved it because it reminded them of being up-north. They even buried their old dog underneath.

The tree was healthy until the wind blew it over.

Their 60th anniversary is in September and the bride thinks it would be a nice gift.

How bout I dig up a nice Ghetto Palm for ya G? I think I still owe you six bucks, we can call it even.

Thank you Django, but I'll pass on that opportunity.

What is a ghetto palm,
    I am sure I should know this.

Detroit Star, good to know that your parents are healthy!

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    What is a ghetto palm,
    The infamous "Tree of Heaven": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima

Thank you - did not know that.
    Another invasive species from China.

Birch trees are beautiful and worth the effort if you must have one. They fall prey to Birch Bark Borers and Birch Leaf Miners, and there is no guarantee they'll survive even if you spend a lot of time and money on them. Call your local MSU Cooperative Extension Service. Each county has one. They will give you a heads up on the trees, their needs and care. Also, call local tree maintenance services to get prices for spraying, systemic, and care. It can get very expensive, and as I said there are no guarantees your tree will survive. They grow very fast and are wonderful to look at. My trees, which I planted as small, 10 foot long, skinny, youngsters, grew to over 30 feet tall in about 15 years, with multiple trunks about 8 inches in diameter. Mine were losing their crown leafs after about 15 - 18 years and only lasted a few years after I sold my home. I think it was due to lack of care, but they were declining anyway. They have roots that are disruptive of lawns even if you water them deeply and consistently. I didn't care about that. I had other landscaping in mind besides grass. Good luck.

I have a white paper birch that's probably about 100 years old in my yard. It's looking a little rough now but so would most of us at 100 years of age.

I know I've seen big ones for sale at Wiegand's Nursery and maybe Randazzo Nursery, both in Macomb Township.

Fascinating... a tree that actually thrives the colder the weather. thanks for the info. Such a beautiful tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    They need cold freezing winters to survive, I guess because that kills the bugs. We are having trouble now with our birches in the eastern UP because the winters have been so much warmer [[as in few days below zero, and I mean 'way below zero.)

Wonderful shot. Beautiful tree indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows where one can buy a White Birch Tree. I've found River birches, but I just can't find a white birch at any of the places that sell trees.

I've found them on-line but they are usually pretty small and I'm looking for something in the 6 to 8 foot range.

Here is a pic.: