Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Java Hutt

Default Java Hutt

A colorful cast of characters parades and prances through this amiable amicable cofffee shop hot spot. Located a half block west of Woodward, the place is cozy, comfy and welcoming, a real down to earth place, its not unusual to see a patron kicked back with their bare feet on the coffee table or taking a light cat nap on one of the leather sofa. I met my wife, and made many new friends on the front patio section.Students study, computer users hook up to the mother board and drift into cyberspace, while other patrons relax with a newspaper and a smoothie. The food fare runs the gamut of healthy to artery clogging supersweet deserts. Java Hutt Steve is usually on hand, opening the door for the ladies, or telling stories of the many kids hes saved. Owners Mark and Cecilia sold the Birmingham location last I heard, and occasionally pop in with their cute little ones.
    Check it out!
    Last edited by terryh; June-29-10 at 05:39 PM.

terryh: Don't mean to be a stickler...but since 9 Mile runs east and west...It has to be west of something else or north/south of 9 Mile. Is it in Ferndale?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    terryh: Don't mean to be a stickler...but since 9 Mile runs east and west...It has to be west of something else or north/south of 9 Mile. Is it in Ferndale?
    OOPS..Ill fix that...Im sleepy

Java Hutt is good, but it's no Gotham City Cafe! [[RIP)

Zoots for the WIN! Best coffee house anywhere, ever. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Java Hutt is good, but it's no Gotham City Cafe! [[RIP)
    I popped into that place when it was on its last legs..before I moved to Ferndale. The shop did have character....Im trying to remember exactly where it was and how long it had been open...I was there in 99....Ferndale still had its grittiness......

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    I popped into that place when it was on its last legs..before I moved to Ferndale. The shop did have character....Im trying to remember exactly where it was and how long it had been open...I was there in 99....Ferndale still had its grittiness......
    Too late by then, that was it's newer location on 9 mile. Doomed from the day it opened.

Had to be at the original location [[Howe's Bayou) for the real "character".

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Too late by then, that was it's newer location on 9 mile. Doomed from the day it opened.

Interesting. How long was it there?

It must've been a good two and a half to three years.

JL, We've got more than a few folks interested in sharing some of their memories of that joint...including now some of our more notorious alumni.

Michelle Baron-Vachon [[barista extraordinaire) and Mary Lamphier [[ex-contributor to the Phenomenews) have agreed to collect, edit, and arrange these stories as they come in...

...and I've got at least verbal agreement to dig into memory banks and pen a few anecdotes from folks ranging from Jim & Tracy Grant to Audra Kubat to Susan Calloway.

If you've got anything that you feel would contribute to this, it is more than welcome...or if you know anyone from that era, it would be great to include them.

I'm searching for Stephen Grant Wood...and need to contact Mike Dorn [[it's been a few years since I last spoke with him about this)...but until we see the content, we really don't know where this will end up. I DID finally find Jim...in such a weird way I just KNOW the Universe is smiling upon this venture.

I just get a distinct feeling that we'll find a vibe that contains all of our perspectives of this old great joint which had such an impact on so many.

Cheers and more [[sorry Terryh for glomming onto your thread). Coffee houses can be such amazing places...and Gotham City was one such crucible of creativity and exactly the bastion of free speech that Jim intended when he opened it.

No problem Gannon. Put together a collection of stories-memories from the place in a paperback and sell copies in coffee shops. What would be really interesting would be a history of beatnik coffee shops from 1950's and 60's Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by terryh View Post
    No problem Gannon. Put together a collection of stories-memories from the place in a paperback and sell copies in coffee shops. What would be really interesting would be a history of beatnik coffee shops from 1950's and 60's Detroit
    "Beat." "Beat." "Beatnik" is derogative.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It must've been a good two and a half to three years.

JL, We've got more than a few folks interested in sharing some of their memories of that joint...including now some of our more notorious alumni.

Michelle Baron-Vachon [[barista extraordinaire) and Mary Lamphier [[ex-contributor to the Phenomenews) have agreed to collect, edit, and arrange these stories as they come in...

...and I've got at least verbal agreement to dig into memory banks and pen a few anecdotes from folks ranging from Jim & Tracy Grant to Audra Kubat to Susan Calloway.

If you've got anything that you feel would contribute to this, it is more than welcome...or if you know anyone from that era, it would be great to include them.

I'm searching for Stephen Grant Wood...and need to contact Mike Dorn [[it's been a few years since I last spoke with him about this)...but until we see the content, we really don't know where this will end up. I DID finally find Jim...in such a weird way I just KNOW the Universe is smiling upon this venture.

I just get a distinct feeling that we'll find a vibe that contains all of our perspectives of this old great joint which had such an impact on so many.

Cheers and more [[sorry Terryh for glomming onto your thread). Coffee houses can be such amazing places...and Gotham City was one such crucible of creativity and exactly the bastion of free speech that Jim intended when he opened it.
    Have you checked out the Facebook group? Massive collection of photos and memories there. Mike Dorn is a member I am pretty sure. A lot of it may be from after your time, in the Shawn Farley years.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=121153020858&ref=ts
    Last edited by Johnlodge; July-01-10 at 07:43 AM.

Ravine Guest

"...its not unusual to see a patron kicked back with their bare feet on the coffee table..."

Cozy and comfy are nice. Down-to-Earth is nice. Welcoming is nice.
    Putting your goddam bare feet on a coffee table in a public place is boorish, and only a jackass would do it.
    Civility & manners are nice, too.

JL,

Found it just after I made that post, and spent a while going through pictures and posts...and you're right, MOST of it is from the second location era. Thanks.

Ravine, damn good point...we don't know where them beatnik feet have been!

JL,

Found it just after I made that post, and spent a while going through pictures and posts...and you're right, MOST of it is from the second location era. Thanks.

I don't think most of it was second location era, but it was the Shawn era... Most of my memories of those days were at the Woodward location, but still after your crowd's days there. Place never recovered from the move, I always blamed it on too much light. Weakened all the vampires.

Man, those Elks next door really hated us back then. To paraphrase Martin Blank in Grosse Pointe Blank... You can't go home again... but you can get a damn tasty crawfish bisque there.

I attended Gotham City Cafe during its latter days on 9 Mile. My old improv comedy troupe "Mr. Rogers' Sweatshop" played at least one major show there. The owner mocked me relentlessly. Also, I was 18.

Where was its original Woodward location?

I spent most of my time in cafes at Trixie's in Roseville during its 8-year run.

Here's my documentation of its last open mic night:

http://www.vimeo.com/7350733

Stosh Guest

JL,

Hmmm. I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph C. Krause View Post

Where was its original Woodward location?
    From earlier up the thread:

Woodward, where Howe's Bayou is now located.

LOL, those feet had JUST come out of those shoes at the bottom of the table! Food was already put away, it was time to finally kick up those feet and relax with a few really cool people.

Got a fetish, Stosh?!

Joe,

You bring up a curious point...in my analysis of decent coffeeshops, there are NEVER mocking owners in the successful ones. Even the one slightly critical one at 1923 can bring the place to a screeching halt with his negative energy.

Jim founded the original location of Gotham City specifically to allow free speech in all its forms, and when it operated under THAT intent, it was an amazing place. I have the recordings to prove the Open Mics were simply amazing, and James Clay's poetry nights were stellar. Even the artwork...damn, those memories are churnin' now.

Dovetails with my understanding that any operation always shows the attitude and character of the person[[s) at the top. It is just more obvious with coffeeshops, since the free-flow of creativity muses can be so affected by any welcome or specific lack thereof.

Cheers

Stosh Guest

LOL, those feet had JUST come out of those shoes at the bottom of the table! Food was already put away, it was time to finally kick up those feet and relax with a few really cool people.

Got a fetish, Stosh?!
    Funny you should ask, I was beginning to wonder the same thing about you, given the shoe/foot concentration of post ratio these days coming from you.
    And if I did, perchance, have a foot fetish, it certainly wouldn't be for YOUR feet.

I wouldn't be ON this path, if it weren't for the trend of how many people were positively affected by this particular place, some turning their lives from random into directed energy...others getting brave in front of crowds, then moving forward with their gifting.

There IS something to a good coffeehouse...that environment can be a springboard for further creativity, and a curious place to blend and develop ideas. Those of us who've been around it know, those who deny their own creativity may never understand.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Funny you should ask, I was beginning to wonder the same thing about you, given the shoe/foot concentration of post ratio these days coming from you.
    And if I did, perchance, have a foot fetish, it certainly wouldn't be for YOUR feet.

Nah, you've got a fetish with searching all my words and giving me shit...that took EFFORT to find that image and then copy and paste it. For what purpose?! You are some kinda freak.

You should look into your soul and see where this motivation comes from...it ain't healthy. Not in any way.

Cheers

Frankly, Gannon, that picture wasn't that hard to find and had been posted in recent memory. I kind of wondered the same thing when I saw your post evincing disgust at the feet on the table thing.

Stosh Guest

Nah, you've got a fetish with searching all my words and giving me shit...that took EFFORT to find that image and then copy and paste it. For what purpose?! You are some kinda freak.

You should look into your soul and see where this motivation comes from...it ain't healthy. Not in any way.

Cheers
    Effort? Please. that took 10 seconds out of my life.
    I like your logic, though. I'm a freak?
    Maybe search YOUR soul some and examine your own motivations.
    For what purpose? None whatsoever. I hope you enjoy it though. I sure do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast