Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Red shirts in Detroit

Has anyone else noticed the increasing number of younguns' wearing red on he Westside? I have. I also have a friend of mine who rents tables and chairs and he just told me about a function that he supplied the tables for last weekend. It was at a park and it was a memorial for someone who died and most of the crowd had similar red tees, hats and black pants. I am out in the streets quite a bit... maybe I'm just paranoid but I'm seeing this outfit more and more everyday. One more thing, the guys that I have seen in the Plymouth/Evergreen, Livernois/Fenkell areas wearing this outfit don't look like they are from around there. Anyone else?

Maybe a store had a good sale.

maybe they're all fans of the original Star Trek. Hopefully noone tells them to "....go check it out...." or "...stay here and watch this...."

sounds like the " Bloods"

That's the color combo that Young Jeezy wears. He's like, numero uno rapper across the country right now. Jeezy the Snowman.....

You'll find lots of young eastsiders sporting the same look too.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    That's the color combo that Young Jeezy wears. He's like, numero uno rapper across the country right now. Jeezy the Snowman.....

You'll find lots of young eastsiders sporting the same look too.

My first impression was that the infamous "Bloods" were trying to establish themselves here. The Young Jeezy thing makes more sense though.

maybe Red Wings fans? oh yeah, that's a white thing.

^ I thought Jeezy was more popular with the suburbanites as well?

Attachment 6576

Maybe it's a not-so subtle message?

Political dissidents from Bangkok?

Quote Originally Posted by bdglsmn View Post
    ...the guys that I have seen in the Plymouth/Evergreen, Livernois/Fenkell areas wearing this outfit don't look like they are from around there.
    How so? I mean, what about the way they look makes you think that? [[Not trying to be funny, I'm just curious about what you mean.)

yeah, definitely red wings fans.

Maybe they are showing solidarity with the gays and interior decorators at Disneyworld? Whenever they have their "gay" days, everyone seems to wear red.

At first I thought this thread was about how the British were coming, then I remembered they were red coats!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Maybe they are showing solidarity with the gays and interior decorators at Disneyworld? Whenever they have their "gay" days, everyone seems to wear red.
    Bingo Patrick! First week in June.

Bingo Patrick! First week in June.
    I was with my little cousins and my nephew last year and it was the first day of that special week at Disney. Noticed that there sure weren't a whole lot of kids around and Disney World is for kids, not grown ass men. We were offered a refund on the spot.

its a form of the bloods, gang activity, saw an episode of some crime show on national geo, or history a month or so ago interviewing kids in the gang and watching the cops bust a house filled with the redshirts

I'll resist the invitation to threadjack and just stay on point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    its a form of the bloods, gang activity, saw an episode of some crime show on national geo, or history a month or so ago interviewing kids in the gang and watching the cops bust a house filled with the redshirts
    I was thinking the same thing, although I'm not in the best position to know, I suppose. I do remember warnings at one point, when I was living in the Bronx, not to wear some color, red or blue [[I forget), for a couple of days. Some kind of utterly ridiculous nonsense, like the kids in the blue shirts had shot a kid in a red shirt, and now the other kids in red shirts were out for revenge on people wearing blue shirts. What a joke. I mean, I guess I might be the one who ends up getting shot , but what ridiculousness.

Retroit Guest

Maybe Michigan is a Red State.

I don't think it has anything to do with the "Bloods" because the only gangs in Detroit are in Southwest Detroit. Other youngins represent neighborhoods and streets, but not gangs! I think that red just happens to be a very popular color right now this summer. I recently found a Detroit Tigers Authentic Majestic Jersey in all red that I had never seen before this year. Red is just "the in" color these days, kinda like pink was "the in" color about 6 or 7 years ago, when Cam'Ron [[another famous rapper) began wearing pink clothing. Just my thoughts......

http://www.detroitathletic.com/servl...27s-Red/Detail

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the "Bloods" because the only gangs in Detroit are in Southwest Detroit.

http://www.detroitathletic.com/servl...27s-Red/Detail
    This is hard to believe- I often drive around areas of the city [[looking at community gardens) and i have been "bloodz" tagged a couple of different times. I also know a teen who goes to Kettering and they have students involved in gangs.

bartock Guest

I thought that this was a dovetail to the "no snitch" rules? Every youngster on the block wearing a similar outfit, so when a crime is committed by a "young, AA male wearing a red shirt and blue jeans," the person is harder to identify.

Retroit Guest

^ Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know, black shirts, pants and balaclavas will be in style.

I don’t think this is a 2010 fashion phenomenon.

My mother stays on the Westside, near Rosedale Park, and I’ve noticed the crimson garb for more than 2 years. Tagging in the neighborhood has also turned monochromatic. My first thought was “bloods” but dismissed it because Detroit has always been disjointedly “crew” based. My second thought, however, is there’s an influence trying to guide these misguided, wayward and stupid kids into a bigger gangland family.

The “streets” have changed.

The drug money is drying up behind a decrease in addicts with good paying factory jobs. The “street” work force is over saturated with “unqualified” and “high themselves” criminals trying to live the glory of rap lyrics. Case in point: Gone are the $50K+ tricked out “whips” replaced with $2.5K- domestic fleet cars with $3K wheels. There is no longer a discernable “kingpin” hierarchy and I don’t think its because the’re all locked up or dead but because the green Detroit drug pasture, is now brownfield too. There has been drug dealer flight from the city for 15 years or better.

That being said the motivation of the streets has changed from being capitalistic [[getting paid) to feudalistic [[being hard/bangin’). This is leading to more random violent crimes than ever before.

IMHO: The ingredients are here for West Coast style gangland BS and this could turn very bad very quickly. These bangin’ types of gangs practice urban terrorism, when properly managed, and DPD will be weighed, measured and found lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the "Bloods" because the only gangs in Detroit are in Southwest Detroit.
    Come to the east side, all along east Seven Mile Road. Bloods, absolutely everywhere you look.

West side used to be all Crips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast