Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Unemployment Benefits in Michigan will cease.

Those crazy politicians in Washington [[Mostly) Republicans has voted 57-41 to have unemployment benefits in Michigan and other states to cease after July 4th to January 1st 2011. Here in Michigan, up to 43,000 to 480,000 'out of workers' will NOTot recieve their next months check in the mail or Direct Deposit. It seems to me that those politicians think that our ecomony is getting back on track that people need to get up from the lazy selves and find a job. Those conservative rich folks want to keep their money and stop feeding the poor.

I have to call my 'out of work' friends to get a job. I already offer some people jobs in my independent film business. Some the them are thinking about it.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Danny; June-28-10 at 10:23 AM.

Another payoff to rich folks and Obama's supporters of endless wars. We can bailout anyone and anything having to do with corporations, wall street, disasters caused by both of the aforementioned, but have little concern for the working class. Those unpaid workers are lazy, shiftless and unmotivated to find a [[non-existent) job. Just shows to go ya' that the wealthy and powerful control our congress, the news media and it's message.

Why not "means test" unemployment benefits? A buddy of mine has an 80% VA comp rating, he just began receiving Social Security upon turning 62. He is not married and has no dependents to support. Should someone like him be given unemployment extentions? Over drinks, I laughed and said he didn't need to be on unemployment anymore. He didn't get pissed off at me for making light of him being cut off.

I think most of the people [[even republicans) want to help their fellow man. What pisses most of us off is the lack of oversight on the money handed out. I would hope that most of us want to help deserving people but a lot of us have NO desire helping the person who wont at least try to help themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    I think most of the people [[even republicans) want to help their fellow man. What pisses most of us off is the lack of oversight on the money handed out. I would hope that most of us want to help deserving people but a lot of us have NO desire helping the person who wont at least try to help themselves.
    There sure as shit wasn't oversight when many of these same Republicans rammed an unneeded $1.3 trillion tax cut down our throats in 2001. [[Remember--it was going to create jobs and grow the economy! How come these same folks aren't touting tax cuts as the solution now, when we need jobs and economic growth???) Why should we help Paris Hilton when she can't help herself?

Extending unemployment benefits to those in need is peanuts by comparison.

This dictated by Mr. Corn.Bot:

*** Hmm. First you send my white-collar professional job overseas to Bangalore. Then you send my first skilled-trade blue-collar job to Mexico. My second blue-collar gig was ended by introduction of a robot to do my job; and the third ended in layoff due to an, um, economic downturn in the automotive industry.

Since 2009, I have applied for countless jobs - through word-of-mouth, temp agency, and MTB, among other avenues - and have received not one, count'em, ZERO, replies or requests to interview for any of what I've put in for. The positions range from park-entrance-fee-taker to cable company customer service. Apparently I am too long out of work, too ugly, too old, too cute, too white, too Polish, too married to someone who's too something-or-other, too slender, too motivated, too honest, or I have too many of my own teeth to be considered for any job, anywhere. ***

He's not bitter or nuthin'. Go ahead, cut his unemployment. We can't all work at Taco Bell, especially if Taco Bell is not hiring.

Retroit Guest

I think that everyone receiving unemployment should be required to do some type of community service. You can only go to so many interviews a week anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    I think that everyone receiving unemployment should be required to do some type of community service. You can only go to so many interviews a week anyway.
    Sure. People lose their jobs through no fault of their own, and instead of letting them spend their time looking for productive work, just enslave them and force them to work for free.

Fucking brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    just enslave them and force them to work for free.
    So, having to work for money is now enslavement? How about one day of community service a week - is that a ridiculous requirement for free money? Is six days a week not enough time to look for a job?

Retroit Guest

^ I like you!

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    So, having to work for money is now enslavement? How about one day of community service a week - is that a ridiculous requirement for free money? Is six days a week not enough time to look for a job?
    Forced labor for no pay is enslavement.

How about we force you to do "community service" one day a week for no pay? Or we could make arrangements with your boss to only pay you for 4 days a week instead of 5. How would you like that?

My husband has had no luck getting a new job in the IT field. He finally applied for a number of minimum wage type jobs and the ones who bothered to get back to him told him he was overqualified. Brilliant.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

How about we force you to do "community service" one day a week for no pay? Or we could make arrangements with your boss to only pay you for 4 days a week instead of 5. How would you like that?
    You would be getting paid by the state. I don't think you understand what he/she is saying. Basically, if you are getting enemployment, perhaps you should be required [[if able, physically/mentally) to perform some work that would benifit the community/taxpayers. It wouldnt be a 40 hour requirement but something.

The pay is your unemployment check. That's what we are talking about. See the title of this thread.

You would be getting paid by the state. I don't think you understand what he/she is saying. Basically, if you are getting enemployment, perhaps you should be required [[if able, physically/mentally) to perform some work that would benifit the community/taxpayers. It wouldnt be a 40 hour requirement but something.
    Uh... If you are collecting unemployment benefits then you already did work for that money. The state doesn't fund your unemployment benefits, it's your former employer who does.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    A lot of people I know receiving unemployment already do community service - volunteering: The VA, community kitchens, Salvation Army, etc. In many cases, long before they were unemployed. Community service should be done by everyone regardless of their employment status. One thing I personally have seen very little of in my experience with volunteering is wealthy and rich people working volunteer jobs. Nothing scientific about my recollections, just an educated observation.

Sure. People lose their jobs through no fault of their own, and instead of letting them spend their time looking for productive work, just enslave them and force them to work for free.

Fucking brilliant.

Real nice, caring [[??) response to an idea worthy of consideration.

Yeah, yeah, entitlements blah blah republicans blah blah...

The real story here is Danny running an independent film business.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Uh... If you are collecting unemployment benefits then you already did work for that money. The state doesn't fund your unemployment benefits, it's your former employer who does.
    I am aware of how unemployment works. Luckily I have never had to collect in my 17 years of working [[I am 31 now) and I feel for those who have to collect. All I know is that I truly would feel bad just not working and collecting money, call me old fashioned but I dont want a hand out, I want to work for my money.

I guess its just a matter of how you think of unemployment, either something you are entitled to because of previous employment or something you earn by doing something currently. I guess I dont feel entitled to anything and would rather work for my pay. The sense of entitlement in todays society is another thread alltogether :-)

I am aware of how unemployment works. Luckily I have never had to collect in my 17 years of working [[I am 31 now) and I feel for those who have to collect. All I know is that I truly would feel bad just not working and collecting money, call me old fashioned but I dont want a hand out, I want to work for my money.
    Well... If you are 31 now you could have at most been eligible for unemployment benefits for 12 years. That's assuming you went to work full time the day you turned 18.

I guess its just a matter of how you think of unemployment, either something you are entitled to because of previous employment or something you earn by doing something currently. I guess I dont feel entitled to anything and would rather work for my pay. The sense of entitlement in todays society is another thread alltogether :-)
    Sounds like a silly way to think about it. Do you feel the same way about pensions?

Though gp, I agree with your point and understand your anger. I spent most of my life/retirement savings to buy a job [[business) out of frustration in finding a job that actually offered hours and pay. The first year of unemployment, I put thousands of miles on my auto running around from place to place thinking I'd actually get a real job. When it became obvious that I was, as Corn.Bot put it, 'too old, too cute, too white', etc, etc, etc, to land a real job, I began the email begging routines. After a few years of rejection, it's obvious that it isn't about me and you, it's about politicians and their world. A world of regular paychecks, corporate donations, power lunches, retirement benefits and 'trillion dollar tax cuts', not to mention an endless war.

Don't forget that UI is paid for by employees and employers. Its benefits to employers is that they can 'lay off' workers occasionally, keeping those workers available to call back when in need. Obviously, a different and ancient era in US history.

I've also heard this viewpoint a thousand times - - - until the person voicing it was laid off, disposed of by an employer, lost their business and medical coverage. Then the crying begins. We used to have a quality called 'empathy', and another called 'understanding', in our social fabric. No longer.

I used to work at private country clubs. The members, for most part, were immune to all of this unemployment, uninsured crap. They were quite arrogant about the plight of others. It seems in the last few years, with the middle and bottom dwellers on the country club scales losing their jobs, homes and perks, they've grown in awareness, if not empathy.

Simply put:

You and your employer pay into your unemployment insurance, if you go on unemployment, you should work because we can't have you get your unemployment without "earning it."

But big banksters, masters of unearned income, who fuck up on the job and drive themselves into the abyss of bankruptcy, need our help to ensure their continued ability to earn income off of other people.

Neat, huh?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast