Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Making Corktown independent from Detroit.

You all know that Detroit is in shambles. Facing up to 500 million dollar buget shortfall, city services have been cut, police force lazy, businesses leaving, poor Detroit Public School system, neighborhoods turn into ghettoes, crime and violence has been rampant and city leaders talk and taking taxpayers' monies. What would happen if Corktown break away from Detroit and start their own city. What kind of services do this 'Corktown, MI. have than Detroit doesn't? Can Michigan and Trumbull be the new Downtown Corktown corridor?

Any thoughts?

Are there any public schools in Corktown now? Why would duplication of services be more cost efficient? Crime does not stop at city borders. How would you define Corktown's boundaries?

I could see some advantages as the Tiger Stadium lots might have a better chance of getting redeveloped and back onto the tax roles, but eventually it will run out of land to develop as any landlocked city does.

That's a great idea. High-income people deciding that they're not going to be part of the city and instead use "home rule" to create dozens of governments with their own police, fire and school boards. That way, they won't have to have their money go to anybody else.

Oh, wait. That's what we've been doing for 85 years ...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That's a great idea. High-income people deciding that they're not going to be part of the city and instead use "home rule" to create dozens of governments with their own police, fire and school boards. That way, they won't have to have their money go to anybody else.

Oh, wait. That's what we've been doing for 85 years ...
    I agree, would anyone in Corktown want to propose a petition for suceed the historic Irish community from Detroit? Join in and one day Corktown will be its own city, Free Corktown.

CORKTOWN, MI.
    Last edited by Danny; June-28-10 at 10:06 AM.

Corktown is and always will be, proudly, the oldest & most vibrant neighborhood in the City of Detroit.

It's actually not a bad idea. Several people have also suggested that Warrendale revert to being an independent city again. [[It was Warrendale Twp. prior to the 1920s.)

I was always opposed to this idea. However, with the idiots downtown screwing one thing after another up, it's hard to argue that it's not a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Corktown is and always will be, proudly, the oldest & most vibrant neighborhood in the City of Detroit.
    Yes, its time for Corktown to break away from Detroit. Let's take action and develop its own city government.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yes, its time for Corktown to break away from Detroit. Let's take action and develop its own city government.
    I doubt the State would allow the formation of New School Districts when Michigan is struggling with how to consolidate them.

I think that something like 70% of Hamtramck's budget goes to its fire and police dept [[including retirees). Being your own city is expensive. You would probably save money by just paying for your own security force. And most likely residents would balk at that.

If they closed the Incinerator the city would be out of debt in 6 years without cutting any other services. I'd try that route before annexing yourself to yourself.

Here are some steps to make Corktown sucede from Detroit:

1. Propose a city government with its fire department, police and city council.

2. Propose a public school board.

3. Propose a Downtown Development Authority

4. Create a petition to have Corktown to be free from Detroit rule.

5. Convice the SBC [[ State Boundry Commission) that these public services such as sewer and water and power will be handled from Detroit.

6. Let the voters from Corktown area decide. If they vote yes, Corktown will suceed from Detroit and a new city within a city of Corktown, MI. is born.

7. CELEBRATE!
    Last edited by Danny; June-29-10 at 09:23 AM.

You don't want to be controlled by Detrit water and sewage. You can collect rainwater and do a hell of a lot of composting.

If we could integrate metro Detroit's scores of independent cities into one supercity, we wouldn't need to talk about neighborhoods like Corktown "succeeding" from the city.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    You don't want to be controlled by Detrit water and sewage. You can collect rainwater and do a hell of a lot of composting.
    Or Corktown can get its water from the Detroit River. But first it needs to create its own Water and Sewage Dept.

If we could integrate metro Detroit's scores of independent cities into one supercity, we wouldn't need to talk about neighborhoods like Corktown "succeeding" from the city.
    Seceding..but I have a feeling you were being facetious.

No way! Most suburbs don't want Detroit's black problems [[ excuse my black language.) It's better to have Corktown be a free city than dealing with Detroit's poor services. I would also like to have all of SW Detroit to break away from Detroit and become its free and independent city called 'Springwells'.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    No way! Most suburbs don't want Detroit's black problems [[ excuse my black language.) It's better to have Corktown be a free city than dealing with Detroit's poor services. I would also like to have all of SW Detroit to break away from Detroit and become its free and independent city called 'Springwells'.
    If Danny had his way, "black" Detroit wouldn't even exist.... Danny has shown the true motivation behind wanting to "sucede" from Detroit. Corktown, like all Detroit neighborhoods, should work to be part of the solution, not hide from the problems by setting up more boundaries and bureaucracies. Corktown is, and always will be, proudly, part of Detroit!

First, Corktown would need a supermarket. I lived in Corktown from 1991 to 2001. Last April while back in DET, I noticed that the Maltese family grocery store on Trumbull & Bagley has a new owner. And with the new owner came "ghetto glass" at the check out counter.

Secondary thought, are that woman's dogs on Bagley between Trumbull and 8th still barking their asses off around 7am every morning. I'm speaking of the gal that was married to the late railroad engineer.

The flip side to this pipe dream [[though just as ridiculous) is that Detroit annex wealthier surrounding neighborhoods. Whether we are in Detroit proper or not, everyone outside SE MI considers us Detroit. We might as well have a say in our image to those outside the area.

If there was a plebiscite [[if I may use such a fiddy cent term) among Corkies to break away from Detroit, my guess is that the more affluent Corkies on the eastside of Trumbull might not want to include those west of Trumbull in their Vatican-esque nation-state scheme.

GsGeorge is totally correct Corktown is part of and totally integrated with Detroit the same as Midtown, Woodbridge and Brightmoor. Danny this is the dumbest yet idea you have had.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitcorky View Post
    GsGeorge is totally correct Corktown is part of and totally integrated with Detroit the same as Midtown, Woodbridge and Brightmoor. Danny this is the dumbest yet idea you have had.

Yeah it really is.....

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitcorky View Post
    He does not want Corktown to be a city, or "Springwells" to be a city. He's casted. It's a big ole nightcrawler on a hook.

McDanny- it ain't happenin' laddie!

I should have said "Oh, Danny Boy". My bad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast