Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Historic "Executive Terminal" at Detroit Metro Airport ?

Does anyone have more information to share about historic structures at the Detroit Metro Airport, such as the Executive Terminal brick building that is visible from Middlebelt Road ?

Retroit Guest

It was built around 1929, I believe, the same time as City Airport's old terminal. They are similar in construction. Built for utility, so not much architectural detail, even on the inside. It was used as the main passenger terminal until the Smith Terminal was built in 1958. Last I was in there [[12? years ago), Signature Flight Support was downstairs. They handle fueling and servicing of corporate planes. The National Weather Service was upstairs. It's open to the public, although not much worth seeing.

Here's an aerial photo of the hangar building from shortly after construction: http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/i/imag...8;viewid=76608

Wow, that's quite the view Retroit... it's amazing to think of what that same view looks like now, practically a desert of asphalt runways with massive hangars, an eight-lane freeway, hotels, parking lots, industrial buildings...

Retroit, I was there around the same time, and remember Signature Flight Support. It mostly serviced private charters: celebrities, dignitaries and some of the sports teams use it, to avoid the public eye.

If you look really close, it still says 'Wayne County Airport' on the roof:
    Old Terminal from Google Maps

Not to get off topic but is the Smith Terminal still standing. I remember the last time I flew into it a couple years ago knowing it would be my last time. I'm not an active traveler but always remember that terminal as "the airport". Being in there was like going back in time. Felt like you were in the movie "Airplane!"

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Not to get off topic but is the Smith Terminal still standing. I remember the last time I flew into it a couple years ago knowing it would be my last time. I'm not an active traveler but always remember that terminal as "the airport". Being in there was like going back in time. Felt like you were in the movie "Airplane!"
    Yes, it is currently used for film shoots [[at very high rates). It's quite hard to shoot in an airport and our vacant terminal is perfect for crews who need 24/7 access without impeding travel or security.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    It was built around 1929...
    I was wrong. The executive terminal was built in 1938 according to the cornerstone. The hangar building may have been built in 1929, though. I swung by this morning [[without my camera -DOH!) and noticed there were two cornerstones. The other one had a date of 1903, which left me scratching my head until it dawned on me that that was the year the Wright Brothers had their first flight.

Also, the Smith terminal has a couple "20 minute" parking spaces right out front on the departure level. I stepped in for a peak. All the ticket counters are gone. Some of them have been enclosed in drywall. A few workers here and there, but pretty desolate. [[And no glamorous movie stars.)

The Smith Terminal houses the airport offices and will be around until they find or build new offices somewhere.

The "newer" executive terminal:

Attachment 6594

The older terminal/hangar:

Attachment 6595

Attachment 6596

Attachment 6597

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Yes, it is currently used for film shoots [[at very high rates). It's quite hard to shoot in an airport and our vacant terminal is perfect for crews who need 24/7 access without impeding travel or security.
    Are they using both the Smith [[older) Terminal and the Berry [[newer, former international/charter) Terminal for movies?

Does anyone know what became of the beautiful bronze/copper artistic panels/partitions that were in the waiting hall at the Berry Terminal? They were amazing to behold...

The Smith Terminal in its heyday:

Attachment 6607

The Smith Terminal as originally built:

Attachment 6608