Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Big fire in Windsor or downriver?

Huge smoke plume over Windsor. Anybody know what it is?

it's here in Windsor Lowell. I work a little bit away and I'm listening to WFD radio. It's a plastics factory at Peter and Hill streets. They're running out of water and the aerial is making no progress. As of now it's outside stuff burning, but their getting into a bit of a panic right now with no flow.

i knew someone would ask........i was gonna start a thread explaining it, but being new i didn't think anyone would really care lol

Picture texted to me by Traxus.

pic didn't show up. it's gainning ground now and approaching the building. I hope they get a handle on it though, Windsor CANNOT afford another loss in manufacturing! don't matter how small it is.

oohh, that's a nice shot. Look at it dropping right back on the city. This is the view I always see in Detroit and wonder "what beautiful apartment building is going up this time?"

boy, they are scrambling for hydrants right now. they're going up to 2 blocks for water!

they just decided to stop fighting it, it's 30ft from the building and growing. HAZMAT CANUTECH people just told them to protect what's not burning and the building.
    we'll be ssing this for a while.

Wow, ya I have been watching the fire from my apartment for some time now... what started it?

i have no idea, but they put LaSalle FD on standby and are considering evacuations now. Just about every unit is tied up at the moment. When WFD calls on a volenteer FD for help, we have problems.
    I'm at the Windsor Aluminum Plant on Ojibway, and I'm starting to see the actual flames over all the trees and buildings.
    i would think welding started it.......it always does
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; June-27-10 at 09:03 PM.

what were you on top of? I can see my plant from there!

i havn't seen Detroit for about 2 hours now.

side note: i sure do love the headers on this site!

Picture texted from Traxus. He moved downriver. The map shows it in Sandwich about a mile from the bridge. Since the plume dwarfs the bridge and is further away it must be super huge.

Also you folks were in a severe storm path this afternoon. Lightning?

That's about right for distance if you looked at the intersection I mentioned. I don't know about the lightning, that was quite a while before this started, BUT that don't mean it's not to blame. Whatever it was could've been smoldering for hours. you know what...now that i think of it there was a loud crack of thunder that came from that direction and seemed real close. you might be onto something.
    What's weird is I heard them report...at least an hour ago, that it was only 100ft x 100ft fully engulfed, but it was growing rapidly and endagering the building.

I'm on my way home in a bit, and i don't have a computer [[yeah...I'm on company time lol)
    so I won't be able to fill you guys in anymore. Best bet is check with the Star in the morning.

wow! thanks for the link...that photog is everywhere man.

Last Updated: June 27. 2010 10:48PM
    Plastics factory blaze closes bridge traffic into Canada
    George Hunter / The Detroit News

Detroit --The Ambassador Bridge has been closed to traffic headed to Canada because of a massive industrial fire about a mile from the bridge in Canada, officials said.

"The fire started about 8:30 at a plastics factory on Prince," Windsor Police Sgt. Ray Turner said.

Prince Road is a few blocks southwest of the Ambassador Bridge. Plumes of smoke were visible from the U.S. side of the Detroit River.

Advertisement

Firefighters still were fighting the blaze as of about 10:15 p.m., Turner said.

The bridge's Detroit-bound lanes remained open, as did the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, a customs worker said.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100627/...#ixzz0s7W0Tkb3

Last Updated: June 28. 2010 1:00AM
    Ambassador Bridge traffic into Canada resumes after industrial fire
    George Hunter / The Detroit News

Detroit --The Ambassador Bridge reopened around midnight after being closed to traffic headed to Canada because of a massive industrial fire about a mile away across the river, officials said.

"The fire started about 8:30 at a plastics factory on Prince," Windsor Police Sgt. Ray Turner said.

Prince Road is a few blocks southwest of the Ambassador Bridge. Plumes of smoke were visible from the U.S. side of the Detroit River.

Phil Frame, director of communications for the Detroit International Bridge Co., which owns and operates the bridge, said U.S. Customs agents were unable to work in the smoke and bridge lanes to Canada had to close.He was uncertain how much traffic was affected, but "it's usually pretty light at that time," he said.

ghunter@detnews.com [[313) 222-2134

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100628/...#ixzz0s8ArPcJ3

Uh, oh, Manny's going to be sueing everyone, including the U.S. and Canadian Governments for this one. If they think the insurance companies are going to be on their asses, they have yet to deal with Manny and his Bridge Companies.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Uh, oh, Manny's going to be sueing everyone, including the U.S. and Canadian Governments for this one. If they think the insurance companies are going to be on their asses, they have yet to deal with Manny and his Bridge Companies.
    If Matty was smart he would ot say a thing. A fire shut down his bridge. One of the advantages of having the other bridge would be added redunancy should one of the existing border crossings have a disaster.

I knew someone would go up on Boblo... nice shots lowell! I am in the process of creating my massive PANORAMIC of the fire with the lake freighter Calumet passing in front.

That factory fire in Windsor is more BIGGER than the recent fire at the Old Packard Plant. I wonder where the wind is carriying those toxic pollutants?

So that toxic pollutant cloud is all over Windsors nice neighborhoods pepped its smoke and silt in some of those homes. Detroit in the meantime is spared.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Picture texted from Traxus. He moved downriver. The map shows it in Sandwich about a mile from the bridge. Since the plume dwarfs the bridge and is further away it must be super huge.

Also you folks were in a severe storm path this afternoon. Lightning?

hey Lowell, you were bang on with the lightning call. WFD investigators have determined lightning to be the cause.
    nice call.