Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Info on a non exsisting building today.

A little background:
    Received yestrday a copy of my grandmother's death certificate from the state.She passed away in her residence at 7011 W. Warren in January 1946.

Google Aerial and Street Views show this as a parking lot today. Was this a single family, a duplex, or an apartment building? Any information would be appreciated.cA plus would be a photo of it.

In 1928, this block was a commercial district. Page 2617 of the 1928 Detroit Polk Directory [PDF] indicates that 7011 W. Warren was occupied by the Harry Binder hardware store. Only one of the other odd-numbered addresses in that block between Weatherby and Burnett was a residence, the rest were businesses.

Mikeg,

Thanks for the reply. I will assume that the upstairs were rental apartments in 1946 then as that was the address on the certificate.

Now to see if any photos are around of the building........I'm "ghost" chasing, trying to find the places that my mother and grandmother lived. No easy task as they moved around a lot in the 30's and 40's. So far, I know of 6 addresses from Oakland to Wayne counties, and a general idea in Livingston county in the 30's.

Using this image in the 1981 DTE aerial photo collections, I marked up that block of W. Warren to show the buildings that are still standing [[red dots) and the likely building with the 7011 address [[green dot).

Attachment 6551

Note from the shadows that the building with the green dot and the one to its right at the corner were both two-story buildings.