Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hamtramck Bengali Festival is this weekend [[6/28/2010 - 6/29/2010)

Somebody stole my festival!

The festival is actually on 6/26/2010 and 6/27/2010. I got the dates wrong in my title.

Last year the Bengali Festival was right in front of my house. This year they moved it 2 blocks farther north on Conant St, so it's not right in front any more. Bummer.

This year, I saw a stage and a lot of tents. The road is blocked off. If you are driving in, if you get to the corner of Conant St and Canif , you will find the festival about 2 blocks further north.

Last year the festival did not really get into gear until about 6 pm each day.

I think it is a better location down there because all the Bengali shops are right there. There are gift shops, restaurants, a Polish bakery, and clothing shops where you could buy a beautiful sari. Come on down and eat dinner. We will be eating dinner there sometime tonight.
    Last edited by RickBeall; June-26-10 at 10:58 AM.

DC48080 Guest

Is the festival this weekend [[Saturday & Sunday) or on Monday & Tuesday as the dates in the thread title indicate?

Oh rats! the correct date is 6/26/2010 and 6/27/2010, Saturday and Sunday. Right now!

Thanks for catching that DC48080.

DC48080 Guest

You're very welcome.

Friday June 25
    I walked to the festival area last night attracted by shouts and screams for revolution. Fearing for my life I crept forward from store front to store front. They were showing films of revolution, stick it to the MAN! . The MAN! The MAN turned out to be India in 1971 when Bagledesh won their independence. I was worrying that Conant St was going to Secede from the union, but I realized that they were just reliving their glory days.

Saturday June 26
    I took the wife down to the festival around 10:15. There was a stage with a woman singing Bangladeshi pop songs. It was packed around the stage you could hardly walk past. There were at least 5 food booths, and the storefronts were open and glittering with goods and exotic clothing. The beautiful Bangla women floated through the crowd in their flowing garments and glittering hemlines. We bought a ton of food to bring home, some of which I had never seen before. I can hear the music in the distance coming through my office window right now. Obviously the Bangladeshi did not advertise outside their own community because the only non Bangla people were just people like us in the neighborhood. So, as always, this a a DetroitYes exclusive. Great food alert!

Sunday June 27
    Noon
    I hear native Bangladeshi singing coming through my window. Sky is overcast. I spend too much time of DetroitYes and Facebook. ;-)

Sunday June 27
    3:11 pm.
    Sounds of storm thunder in the distance. Overcast, looks like rain. Looks dry but there is a flow of water along the curb. Festival is dead silent. Sound of birds chattering like it is 4 am in the morning before sunrise.

Sunday June 27
    6:58 pm
    I actually had to poke my head out the window because there was no noise. Yep, everything is still set up, the festival is still going strong.

Sunday June 27
    11 pm
    They really cranked the music louder.Still going.

Sunday June 27
    11:27 pm
    They are cheering at the end of songs, and the music is louder. Very loud. We're loving it! The Bengalis know how to throw a party! How Hamtramck!

I heard it from a few blocks away. Sounded like a real party! Thanks for the commentary!

Monday June 28
    12:15 am
    People were walking in family groups away from the festival. At 12:30 am, the music was still going pretty loud but the festival was over.

Yes, and I got complaints about it, too.

I heard it from my house...sounded like tons of fun... It's awesome that they celebrate their culture and have a little fun one weekend out of the year.

Rick, I was also under the impression this festival was to be over fourth of July weekend.

GREAT location this year! I hope they continue this festival every year...in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Rick, I was also under the impression this festival was to be over fourth of July weekend.

GREAT location this year! I hope they continue this festival every year...in that location.
    I must admit, it's much less of a headache closing it north of Casmere instead of Caniff.