Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite Decorative Tile in Detroit?

I was reading about how the decorative tile in the PM Ren Ctr station was removed when GM revamped station. I never saw the original tile in the station [[before my time). I really love looking at ceramic art.

I'm sure that some of you have great pictures of tile from buildings all over Detroit [[past & current buildings).

What are some of you favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by amika View Post
    I was reading about how the decorative tile in the PM Ren Ctr station was removed when GM revamped station. I never saw the original tile in the station [[before my time). I really love looking at ceramic art.

I'm sure that some of you have great pictures of tile from buildings all over Detroit [[past & current buildings).

What are some of you favorites?
    Tile-wise, I've always been partial to Mackenzie High School. Anything Pewabic is awesome. I'm afraid that decorative tile setting may be one of those lost building trade arts, along with architectural sculpture and stone masonry.

Motawi in Ann Arbor does some nice work. Why do you think that this is a lost art?

This is a no brainer of a question...

Although Detroit's famous Pewabic Pottery is still in business... since 1903 [[with a 2 decade lapse after the founder Mary Chase Perry Stratton died).... many People Mover stations contain spectacular Pewabic tile murals [[the Cadillac Centre and Times Square stations are especially stunning). And many smaller commissions exist in downtown Detroit buildings, as well as in older upper and middle class homes in metro Detroit.

But the supreme example of decorative tile has to be the grand lobby and lobby and elevator alcoves of the Guardian Building [[opened in 1929 as the Union Trust Bank Building). This spectacular space has ceilings done up in Rookwood Tile of Cincinnati. That pottery has been closed for many decades, and even small vases made of Rookwood pottery can command thousands of dollars today on the secondary market... as seen on Antiques Roadshow.

The 40 story soaring Guardian Building, originally known as the Cathedral of Finance when it opened, is arguably America's finest Art Deco bank building. Even the plaster & horsehair vaulted main banking hall [[which once housed 84 teller windows), which is beyond the grand lobby, is a spectacular space. There are also 14 varieties of marble used in these grand spaces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snweb/453406079/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snweb/4...n/photostream/

The lobbies of NYC Rockefeller Center [[1932), Chrysler Building [[1930), and Empire State Building [[1932) are nowhere near as magnificent as that of the Guardian Building.

A nice panorama view of the Guardian Building Lobby, Alcoves and [[former) Main Banking Hall....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The lobbies of NYC Rockefeller Center [[1932), Chrysler Building [[1930), and Empire State Building [[1932) are nowhere near as magnificent as that of the Guardian Building.

Agreed...the first time I stepped into the Guardian Bldg., I looked around in amazement with my mouth wide open. Quite breathtaking.

GISTOK

You are probably right in your assertion that the Guardian is superior to the others in your list. One thing that fascinates me is how colorful and vivid the whole thing looks. It is unabashed in relation to a lot of the modernist and postmodernist architecture of the past 60 years. The sense of craft which is expressed in the tile design among others gives reign to the kind of beauty one finds in moorish architecture and elevates not only the viewer but the designer. I am not too impressed by the calculated sameness of the modern school. I used to be impressed by sleek skyscrapers when I was a teenager but am now touched by the older more involved stuff. There is the story of the BMO HQ building in Toronto requiring removal of 72 stories of marble panel sheathing in the news. The building was completed in 1975 and originally, the lead exterior designer decided on marble instead of aluminum or glass. The result is that they will replace the marble with 3-ply glass at a cost of 100 million. It still a massive white column with very little visual interest.

Even the postmodern stuff apart from very few buildings is usually caricatural rather than monumental. I do like Philip Johnson's AT&T [[now the SONY bldg in New York) because there is humor in it [[yes, caricatural). I dont mind the Comerica bldg in Detroit, I like the lacy feel to the gable roof. But nothing beats the great design ability that is present in the Guardian. This comes from a great knowledge of classical proportions that was lost in the postwar era. Designers and architects used to learn to draw from life as an essential part of their education and were constantly challenging themselves with geometric variation later in their career using an established vocabulary. I dont want to knock Le Corbusier or Van Der Rohe, but the need for craft and a certain intricacy is needed for people to feel connected to their environment. It is no wonder so many people need to deface the faceless with graffiti...

The Cathedral Church of St. Paul at Woodward and Warren.http://www.detroitcathedral.org/history/history.htm...Mary Chase Stratton 1910-1913. Custom designs, templates created so tiles in corners and such not cut, designed for that use. Pavement tiles start dark brown at Woodward ave. and gradually lighted until the great choir where they become gold and than to the High Altar where the tiles became the famous iridescant blue with hints of silver. Intact, well maintained. Building designed by Cram

The Guardian Building is a must-see for the touristas when they come to town. Gives you chills, doesn't it? Who can do that kind of thing today so artistically? Guyton Elementary also has great Pewabic tile....on the inside, which helps with the wear-and-tear aspect. It's closed and I'm afraid for it; hope it gets re-used soon.

Great comments all! I've taken 6 bus loads of German tourists [[over the last 7 years) thru the Guardian Building. Europeans are probably somewhat jaded by the opulence of palaces and cathedrals found throughout the continent.... but they were ill prepared for the Art Deco exuberance of the Guardian Building.

Although the interior is a blaze of colored tile, marble and plaster... the exterior is done up in Pewabic Pottery and orange "Guardian brick".

I was wondering if the extremely complex tilework along the top of the Guardian Building is Rookwood or Pewabic.... anyone know??

Gorgeous photos!!!!! What a treasure we have in this building.

Are there any WPA art works in Detroit from the 1930s?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Some New Deal/WPA Art in Michigan: http://www.wpamurals.com/michigan.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Al, ironically the best collection of WPA artwork in Michigan is in the [[city owned and currently closed) Broadhead Naval Armory next to Belle Isles Mac Arthur Bridge. The irony is that the architect of the Naval Armory was William B. Stratton, wife of Pewabic Pottery founder Mary Chase Perry Stratton.

There are quite a few WPA wood carved panels throughout the armory with some nice designs.

But the crowning glory to the armory is the murals. There are several rooms full of military themed murals.

Although they are of superb artistic merit... one noticeable thing is that many of the military personnel in these 1930s murals have an uncanny resemblence to the Village People.... had they all had military occupations.

When the naval folks moved out a few years ago, the property reverted to the city [[alarm bells). The armory consists of 2 main building parts. The front of the armory is a giant 3 story high drill hall with a "baskeball court type floor. IIRC there were several basketball hoops around the hall.

The back of the armory is on land that sloped down to the riverside, and therefore is 4 stories tall. It consisted of Naval cafeteria, Naval offices, a Naval mess hall and a Naval officers room overlooking the river. That is the part of the armory that has the WPA artwork.

Getting people interested in preserving the armory has been the cause of Rebecca Binno Savage... an acquaintance, former DEGC employee, Preservation Wayne Theatre Tour Guide, former president of Detroit Area Art Deco Society, and author of the Arcadia book on Art Deco Detroit. She wants to see Michigan's finest WPA artwork saved, along with the entire armory.

Good Luck Rebecca!
    Last edited by Gistok; July-08-10 at 01:14 AM.

Gistok - I tried googling for Broadhead Naval Armory, but I didn't see any pic of the inside [[other than the basketball court). Sounds really interesting.

Anyone have any photos?

There are some exterior tiles on one of the old brewery buildings in the Eastern Market area that are interesting to look at. I wouldn't even have known about these if I hadn't taken an Eastern Market walking tour last fall. [[I reccommend that and other walking tours hosted by the Preservation Wayne society. http://www.preservationwayne.org/tours_market.php)

Mackenzie High has some incredible detail work:

Sad thing is, walking around the school you can find giant chunks of the roof line facade on the ground.

LodgeDodger Guest

Pewabic, Baby! I loves me that stuff!

Thanks for those photos, detroiturbex. I read Mackenzie was going to be reused some how, but I don't know the details.

Some fine tiles in the front hall of Mackenzie. Decades of wax on them when I attended, but still beautiful. The floor, the alcove near the office, the area around the display cases, all very nice.

I like the tile [[Pewabic) in the children's reading room of the Detroit Main Library. If it has been done away with, please don't tell me.

My personal favorite is the interior of the Belle Isle Aquarium. Such a wonderful period attempt at putting the viewers in a watery world.

Family story about the chief construction electrician when the Guardian Building went up. Seems that some work needed to be done in the suspended ceiling in your photo. Uncle Jerry crawled in, took care of it and wasn't able to get back out without clipping some of the suspending wires. We don't know if he told anyone or not so it may not have been repaired. Stand off to the side on those tours, Gistok!

Cooper Elementary has some unusual tile work above the entrances. Very modern style of tile placement for that type of architecture.

See a photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/daycoppens/3330103624/
    [[PS: the comments indicate it was a rough school, even way back when.)

Default Pewabic at St. Paul's Cathedral link

Default More about Pewabic tile at St. Paul's

The Cathedral celebrates 100 years next May. Here is another blog article about the Pewabic tiles. From HANDICRAFT, circa 1911

http://cathedralarchives.blogspot.co...craft-vol.html

Wow that blue is really beautiful. How vibrant.
    I've loved looking at all the pictures that have been posted. Thx everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    I like the tile [[Pewabic) in the children's reading room of the Detroit Main Library. If it has been done away with, please don't tell me.
    Happy to report that the Pewabic tile fireplace in the former Children's Reading Room is still in place. The room has been refurbished for the HYPE [[Helping Young People Excel) program with both the fireplace and Michigan map mural visible and looking as good as ever! This room is a stop on our Preservation Wayne Cultural Center walking tour.

Another ceramic tile masterpiece at the main Detroit Public Library is the Pewabic tile mosaic mural ceiling on the loggia outside the Fine Arts Room. Not to be overlooked is Millard Sheets' mosaic mural "River of Knowledge" at the Cass Ave. entrance of the Library.

Check out a shot of the ceiling and the River of Knowledge mural on this blog: http://belleislehome.blogspot.com/20...and-books.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast