Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default "Queen City" any info?

Hi everyone,

Since you all seem to know just about everything there is to know, I was hoping you could help me. Below you'll find the only picture I have come across of the "Queen City". She used to be moored on the Windsor waterfront just east of Ouellette, possibly with another. From what I can remember, she was used as a resturant maybe even called "the TugBoat resturant" but being only 28 my memeories are fuzzy at best as to when she left. All I do remember is that she was a habitual sinker, and seemed to be just as comfortable with a slip at Ouellette or a slip at the river bottom.
    Again, this is the only picture I can find, and might not even be the ship I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure I actually seen her in a marina/scrapyard near....Sinbads? Would that be right? I only caught a peek while on a river tour from Windsor.I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, her fate, is she basically a gonner, etc.......I suppose just info and pictures if y'all got'em!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; June-25-10 at 06:55 PM.

A fine looking vessel! Hope someone has a good story about her.

me too kathy2trips! i'm actually really suprised no-one has come up with anything yet. i was fully expecting to log in and have more info than i'd know what to do with! lol
    no worries, i'm sure someone will come along.

Looks like the wreck sitting in the Detroit Goat Yard:

http://atlas.freshlogicstudios.com/?...&style=b&lvl=2

Oh, Nooo! It sure as heck does! [[Nice Map app, BTW) What do you think, Mag?

I thought this was going to be a question about some gay section of Detroit I had never heard of.

....or maybe the 1896 laker owned by Zeneth Transportation.....

Oh Manrooter, where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I thought this was going to be a question about some gay section of Detroit I had never heard of.

lol ya know I thought someone might think that.
    Boy that sure does look like her doesn't it, and that's right where I thought I saw her. Thanks for finding her! Anyone know how I can go about finding her history?

Retroit Guest

Here's what I've found so far:

There was a Queen City that provided service to Pelee Island. http://www.ontarioferries.com/jii/english/about.html This ship would have sailed sometime between 1870 and 1909. I'm not sure if this is the same boat.

There are 4 Queen Cities listed on this Canadian Heritage Information Network site. http://www.pro.rcip-chin.gc.ca/bd-dl...1&upp=0&rpp=10
    The first one on the list wrecked in 1918. http://drc.ohiolink.edu/handle/2374.OX/170039
    The last one appears to have wrecked in Toronto in 1856. http://images.maritimehistoryofthegr...s.asp?ID=16803
    The 3rd appears to be a rebuild of the 2nd and was destroyed in 1920. http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/de.../ShipsP-Q.html

There are seven Queen Cities listed on this site. http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreat...lt.asp?ID=s115 At least six of these were wrecked. Another appears to be the same as the one previously mentioned that was wrecked in 1918. That leaves one built in 1896 [[but that seems too large to be the boat in question). Also note, this book was written in 1899.

More info on Queen Cities that were lost: http://greatlakeshistory.homestead.com/files/q.htm

I don't know how old that boat in question is. The dates for the boats I found seemed kind of old, but then again the Boblo boats Columbia and Ste. Claire were built in 1902 and 1910, so I didn't discredit any info that I found due to age. I could not find any info on more recent Queen Cities.

Another possibility is that this boat was renamed at some point.

Sorry I wasn't of much help, but I did enjoy reading some of the history of these ships. Thanks.

hey man that's more than I have and it's something to start on. Thanks alot! I wonder what these guys do with them. Why buy it and then let it rot at the dock? Failed dreams? Run out of funds?

Retroit Guest

I don't know in this particular case, but I can't imagine the cost of maintaining one of these ships. Probably have to custom make any replacement parts.

Default origins found?

I think I found her! And if i'm right about her, she'll be 100 years old in 2011!
    This and the "Helene" are two ships I'd have cruising again if I won the lottery....and help Ste. Claire get back on her feet too.
    What do you think? It's gotta be, there are way too many items on the ship that are the same, especially those boat davits. All that happened was a slight rebuild of her rear end.....and IMO, looks better as a tug.

Attachment 6549

Here's what I found out from the HCGL website:

Vessel Name POLANA
    Nationality CANADA Official Number 126930
    Rig Tug
    Dimensions and Tonnage
    Vessel Length: 107.25 feet. Gross Tonnage: 296.00
    Vessel Width: 23.00 feet Net Tonnage: 0.00
    Vessel Depth: 12.50 feet Hull Material: Steel
    Masts: Hull Number:
    Item Number: 006257

Vessel History
    Builder Kingston Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. Kingston, Ontario 1911

Ownership Changes Date Registry Official #
    Minister of Agriculture [[Department of Health)
    Ottawa, Ont. Canada 1911- 1930 CANADA 126930
    Minister of Marine & Fisheries
    Ottawa, Ont. Canada 1930- 1936 CANADA 126930
    Minister of Transport
    Ottawa, Ont. Canada 1936- 1954 CANADA 126930
    Hamilton Harbour Commissioners
    Hamilton, Ont. Canada 1954- 1965 CANADA 126930
    Waterman's Services [[Scott), Ltd.
    Toronto, Ont. Canada 1965- 1972 CANADA 126930
    Tugs, Ltd.
    Toronto, Canada 1972 CANADA 126930

Vessel Name Changes Date Registry Official #
    JALOBERT 1930- 1954 CANADA 126930
    MACASSA 1954- 1965 CANADA 126930
    QUEEN CITY 1965 CANADA 126930

Rebuilds Tonnage and dimension change, 1930 [[107.42 x 23 x 11.75; 278 gross - 95 registered). Tonnage and dimension change, 1954 [[107.42 x 23 x 11.75; 248 gross - 169 registered).
    History Served as quarantine vessel at Quebec, P.Q., to 1930.
    Disposition Registration closed on January 8, 1981; endorsed as no longer in use.

that last line doesn't make sense because I know it was docked here well after 1981 and as far as I knew, was being used as a resturant, unless it doesn't count if she's permanently docked.

but all in all, I think this is right. Still wouldn't mind a story about her though if they're out there lol.

Thanks for your help in pointing me the right way Retroit!

Here's a little more for you:
    Hull # Original Name Original Owner Vessel Type GT Completed Disposition
    1 Polana Dept. of Agriculture Quarantine Cutter 278 Jul-11 Later Jalobert 1927, Macassa 1955, Queen City 1965, afloat as private cottage

thanks jcole! nice, she was hull #1 for the new company. What would a "quarintine cutter" do? I imagine it made sure inbound ships that may have had the sick and dying on it, did not attempt to launch boats or force their way to shore.
    thanks for the link as well!

If she was Dept of Ag Quarantine cutter, I would guess that her job was to make sure there was no prohibited agricultural products aboard, but that's just my guess

oh yeah.....that makes sense lol

Yes, the boat in the Goat Yard is the Queen City, formerly the "Tug Boat Restaurant" on the Windsor waterfront. I don't recall any stories of her sinking. She is inded the Polana of 1911. "No longer in use" and "registration closed" usually means the vessel is no longer registered as a commercial vessel and is no longer in commercial marine service. Once she became a "permanently moored" restaurant she was obligated to and answered to the City of Windsor Buildings and Safety Department [[or the equivelant) for building code and safety issues. I'm sure the Coast Guard would be involved if she sank or was involved in an allision with another vessel, but under everyday normal circumstances, she ceased to be a working vessel.

As usual, MikeM and Billybrew have the scoop. I can support some of their responses. She sat at the foot of Ouellette as a restaurant for a number of years. Though I can't tell you how many years she was there, I dined and drank onboard at least a few times. I posted a photo of her here at DY, a couple of months ago, for fellow GarWoodians. She was taken downriver to Lasalle for many years and sat at the dock at the old private residence, restaurant, boatyard, cum scrapyard, in pretty bad shape. I believe she ended up on the bottom there for a while. When I was docked at LaSalle, I'd see her frequently. When I think of the name of the yard I'll post it. Supposedly, she was traded to Stephen of the Goatyard for back rent due. I've heard, though unconfirmed, she has run on the river recently. In fact, a ride offer was extended to GarWoodians by a source fairly close to Stephen and the Goatyard. I didn't relish the idea, though I've been on board some real scows. Here are two photos I took from Dieppe Park at a tug boat race around 1983.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; July-27-10 at 12:29 AM.

you guys are fantastic, thanks so much!
    1KielsonDrive, those pictures just bring back so many memories, especially the one with her bow, that awening is so familiar now. I almost thought the first was a shot of her at the bottom lol. I'd like to say it's Lampookies you're thinking off for the marina. I suppose I may be remembering her sinking wrong, but she definitly had an issue keeping water out of her hull and would at least start dipping her tail in the water. Those "birdseye" views are fairly outdated so prehaps she's not as derilect as she seems in those aerials anymore. If you stay in that moade and go to the Dean Construction boatyard in Lasalle, you'll find the hull of an old Great Lakes steamer by the name of "Alabama". Superstructure removed and turned into a barge....sad really when these ol girls end up like that. Seems like she was a sister to the North and South Americans judging by the paint on her stack. As far as I know she's scrap. If you keep going down to Amhurstburg, you'll find an old railcar ferry as well, but I don't know who she is.

Attachment 6569

Attachment 6570

Attachment 6571

I think the last shot was near the Bluewater. sure was purdy

thanks again everyone, I knew you'd come thru
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; June-28-10 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    you guys are fantastic, thanks so much!
    1KielsonDrive, those pictures just bring back so many memories, especially the one with her bow, that awening is so familiar now. I almost thought the first was a shot of her at the bottom lol. I'd like to say it's Lampookies you're thinking off for the marina. I suppose I may be remembering her sinking wrong, but she definitly had an issue keeping water out of her hull and would at least start dipping her tail in the water. Those "birdseye" views are fairly outdated so prehaps she's not as derilect as she seems in those aerials anymore. If you stay in that moade and go to the Dean Construction boatyard in Lasalle, you'll find the hull of an old Great Lakes steamer by the name of "Alabama". Superstructure removed and turned into a barge....sad really when these ol girls end up like that. Seems like she was a sister to the North and South Americans judging by the paint on her stack. As far as I know she's scrap. If you keep going down to Amhurstburg, you'll find an old railcar ferry as well, but I don't know who she is.

Attachment 6569

Attachment 6570

Attachment 6571

I think the last shot was near the Bluewater. sure was purdy

thanks again everyone, I knew you'd come thru
    The last shot was taken in the Rouge near the I-75 bridge, Morton and Harradon Terminals and the Fort Street drawbridge. She sat there for years. Thanks for the additional photos of her. I have a few I'll post if I can find them.

A couple of my favorite photos of the Alabama, as sad as she is in each picture.
    Last edited by 1KielsonDrive; July-27-10 at 12:29 AM.

This one is from about 2004. The other photo failed to upload.

I think the one i posted was from 1999. Thanks for the location. Man, I need a boat since there are so many neat things to explore around here. All the pictures i have of ships like COD3 in her glory, than a blaze, and being towed backward under the bridge still smokin......they really tug at ya. It's unfortunate that not one of these grand old liners have survived...at least as far as I know. Aside from the Boblo boats that is.
    I still can't understand why great Lakes cruises just don't happen like they did. Hopefully the new dock and terminal over there will kick start something. I hope windsor gets off it's ass and starts building a similar sized dock so we don't "miss the boat" when it's time to advertise this "2 nation destination" to the world.
    do all those drawbridges still work?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I think the one i posted was from 1999. Thanks for the location. Man, I need a boat since there are so many neat things to explore around here. All the pictures i have of ships like COD3 in her glory, than a blaze, and being towed backward under the bridge still smokin......they really tug at ya. It's unfortunate that not one of these grand old liners have survived...at least as far as I know. Aside from the Boblo boats that is.
    I still can't understand why great Lakes cruises just don't happen like they did. Hopefully the new dock and terminal over there will kick start something. I hope windsor gets off it's ass and starts building a similar sized dock so we don't "miss the boat" when it's time to advertise this "2 nation destination" to the world.
    do all those drawbridges still work?
    As far as I know, all drawbridges, Jefferson, Fort and Dix, are working at this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast