Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Comcast chanel 10 in Detroit

I make a point to watch the city council on chanel 10. I try not to miss a session during budget time.
    Lately I've noticed the council hasn't been on as regularly as the once were. I don't think I've seen council since they left for the Mackinac conference. I notice now chanel 10 shows a black screen with a message saying they are undergoing system upgrades. They say programing will resume 7/01/2010. I've never seen the chanel go dark for 'upgrades'. I don't think it's ever happened before. Anyone know what's going on?

Perhaps they want to keep their decisions and fiscal expenditures on the 'low-low' and out of sight from the teaming masses... uh-er I mean remaining Detroiters.........
    rem
    Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I make a point to watch the city council on chanel 10. I try not to miss a session during budget time.
    Lately I've noticed the council hasn't been on as regularly as the once were. I don't think I've seen council since they left for the Mackinac conference. I notice now chanel 10 shows a black screen with a message saying they are undergoing system upgrades. They say programing will resume 7/01/2010. I've never seen the chanel go dark for 'upgrades'. I don't think it's ever happened before. Anyone know what's going on?

I've been concerned about the same thing trotwood. I noticed that on the Detroit Cable Commission's website they claim to be moving their broadcast facilities over to the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, effective back on March 17th. Meanwhile, the programming on Government Channel 10 and Education Access Channel 22 was to be suspended until upgrading was completed. If I'm adding things up right, that was over 3 months ago. Maybe I'm just ignorant, but does it really take 3 months to move a broadcast facility?

They did promise to continue broadcasting City Council meetings at 7:30PM, and were even broadcasting the council sessions live during the day for a few weeks. However, things deteriorated to live sessions during the day with no repeat broadcast in the evening. Then a few weeks ago things stopped altogether, and we were told to watch their programs on YouTube and Facebook[[????).

Now they claim to be returning on July 1st. We'll see!

BTW-here's the lnk to the Cable Commission
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments/CableCommission/tabid/76/Default.aspx

Thanks bc_n_downtown

I can't help but find it strange that this council blackout,due to the "upgrades", happens right around the time Council and the Mayor are going toe to toe.
    Is the Cable Commission under the administration's authority?
    Last edited by trotwood; June-25-10 at 06:05 PM.

trotwood, Are you aware that you can still view the city council meetings online? You can even go back about a month in the archives.

Just go to the council's website at:
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/CityCouncil/tabid/2509/Default.aspx
    and then click-on the "Watch Council Sessions" link on the right-side of the page. For some reason the one on the left doesn't seem to work for me. After you get to the broadcast page, just click-on the session listed you want to see. You can also watch it live during the day.

I have DISH Network, so I can't watch the meetings on TV. Its nice to know they are online

I was watching the meeting online the other day and the Executive Director said that it was blacked out due to the Cable Commission moving from their old building to the CAYMC. Apparently, the office they were moving into was not wired properly or some such nonsense. Whoever their engineers are, they need a serious talking to if they hadn't figured out the wiring issues before the move.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    Is the Cable Commission under the administration's authority?
    Yes, it is.

I used to watch meetings as often as i could, and when the "upgrades" started, I got a friend of mine to sign me up to start receiving the agendas, so i could at least find out out what was being discussed and when. That way if anything really juicy was on the table and open to the public, I would have a heads up to attend.

The "system upgrades" you're referring to, sounds like Comcast's attempt to push its remaining analog subscribers into the higher costing digital cable tier.

This is the brainchild of Comcast's Director of Operations/Regional Area Vice President Michael Cleland.

Mr. Cleland can be reached either at Comcast's Offices in Plymouth at the following address:

41112 Concept Drive
    Plymouth, MI

or at their Southfield offices at 29777 Telegraph Road, Fourth Floor.

Or if you really want your opinions heard, feel free to drop by his house at:
    1407 Xanadu Court
    Brighton, Michigan

Be sure to bring lots of people if you go to his house. It's in a nice secluded neighborhood.

The more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by bc_n_dtown View Post
    trotwood, Are you aware that you can still view the city council meetings online? You can even go back about a month in the archives.

Just go to the council's website at:
    http://www.detroitmi.gov/CityCouncil/tabid/2509/Default.aspx
    and then click-on the "Watch Council Sessions" link on the right-side of the page. For some reason the one on the left doesn't seem to work for me. After you get to the broadcast page, just click-on the session listed you want to see. You can also watch it live during the day.
    Yeah b_n_dtown I've watched a few times online but for some reason I prefer watching the nightly rebroadcasts.
    MCP-001 you might be correct though Comcast pushed me to digital when I signed up lol.

Thanks for the answer detroitsgwenivere.