Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Raspberries needed!

If you know of a Detroit location that raspberries are growing right now, please post!

Harvesting raspberries for made in Detroit jams is underway and we need a metric ton of them.

Your help is appreciated!

Thank you.

Here's one: Joe Btfsplk

Hmmm. Blackberries wanted as well!

alright jbw, you are new here, so I want to say welcome to the forum. For the most part we are a friendly bunch.

Now, I want you to take note that this is not twitter and you are not restricted to 156 characters. That means you can describe the purpose of your post.

For example, are you a grandmother just wishing to brew up a large batch of homemade jam, or a front for Smuckers? Are you looking to buy these berries or do you want people to donate their berries to you? Are you going to make them pick them for you too? Drive to your location and pour them into vats?

Or are you paying money to U-pick? Are you looking for patches of wild berries or cultivated ones? Maybe you just want a list of U-picks in the area, or maybe a list of berry wholesalers.

Most of all, no one knows you and you have made no effort to introduce yourself. In short, you have walked into a room and made vague demands on strangers. Why?

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jbwillelriii View Post
    Hmmm. Blackberries wanted as well!
    Like this?

Thanks gnome. Once and future forumer here. Scouting locations for raspberries and blackberries in vacant fields. No work, no demands on forumers, just a heads up on any potential locations of wildly growing raspberries or blackberries.

I haven't followed the Georgia St. Thread in a few years, but as Cub was setting up his garden, i know there were alot of people that had a bead on berries.

Any leads would be great. I think the jam is for a gift.

thanks.

@ Bearinabox

Like this!

Bearinabox Guest

Ohh, like this?

Hmmm ... urban gleaning. Some of my friends do this, but they'll likely not be interested in sharing info.

At the Urban Ag talk at MOCAD last week, Patrick Crouch was talking about building an online database of locations with fruit trees, canes and other "working plants" in largely vacant Detroit areas.

Here's an example of one in Portland.

http://urbanedibles.org/

you seriously think you will find a metric ton of wild berries by driving around and finding patches here and there? How are you planning on preserving the fresh berries while you run out in search of more wild ones? How much gas and time are you going to use up while running hither and yon all the time worrying that your previous load is slowing rotting on your kitchen counter? or do you have a massive freezer that will keep them fresh? If you are going to freeze your wild berries, how much electricity will that require, and you'd be defeating the original intent of going through all the gasoline and sweat to pick wild/fresh in the first place.

If you are in need of a metric ton, isn't that 2,200 pounds, just go and buy them.

And who needs 2,200 pounds of berries to make up a batch of gift jam?

We have a big cluster of black berry bushes in our back yard, but you'll have to fight my wife for those. If you're willing to drive a bit the hiking trails in Stony Creek Metro Park are loaded with tons of wild black berry's. It's the area around what some people call Mt. Sheldon.

@ Bearinabox. Ha! That might work.

@ Detroitnerd. Perfect.

@ Gnome. good points. The 'metric ton' reference was not to be taken literally. Simply meant to allude to the need for a large amount. Don't worry about it, this whole request for insight has been skewed past the point of anything meaningful coming from it.

I appreciate the gatekeeper role, however to the Detroit Yes forums.

Best of luck.

james

@ bsu. Awesome. Thanks for the info. Probably a bit too far though, but definitely keep in mind for next year when touring state parks for picnics.

best,

Retroit Guest

Why not plant your own? They are maintenance free except that they reproduce abundantly and have to be tamed to stay in a designated area if you are short of space. I just ate a bunch of black and raspberries from my backyard. Also had a ton of strawberries this year...that would be a British avoirdupois metric short ton.

I used to live in a home with an attack dog that I didn't want, but the attack dog was there before me, so I didn't really have any choice in the matter.

I understand the need for protection, but the dog didn't seem to differentiate between a friendly neighbor and a real threat. A neighbor would come to borrow a cup of sugar and the dog would attack.

A new neighbor would ring the doorbell, and rather than letting us see what the neighbor wanted through good old-fashioned Detroit cordiality and pleasant conversation, the attack dog would, well, attack.

I never knew if the dog attacked out of a pure motive of protection, or whether he enjoyed the thrill of the attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Why not plant your own? They are maintenance free except that they reproduce abundantly and have to be tamed to stay in a designated area if you are short of space. I just ate a bunch of black and raspberries from my backyard. Also had a ton of strawberries this year...that would be a British avoirdupois metric short ton.
    That's pretty interesting. Why not play Johnny Appleseed in the urban prairies of Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I used to live in a home with an attack dog that I didn't want, but the attack dog was there before me, so I didn't really have any choice in the matter.

I understand the need for protection, but the dog didn't seem to differentiate between a friendly neighbor and a real threat. A neighbor would come to borrow a cup of sugar and the dog would attack.

A new neighbor would ring the doorbell, and rather than letting us see what the neighbor wanted through good old-fashioned Detroit cordiality and pleasant conversation, the attack dog would, well, attack.

I never knew if the dog attacked out of a pure motive of protection, or whether he enjoyed the thrill of the attack.
    I love this ^^^^^^^^^^