Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The best bacon in Metro Detroit...

http://tinyurl.com/CampBacon

I went to an event called Camp Bacon over the weekend held at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor and had the best bacon ever there. I shot a video about the camp experience & all the bacon the campers ate from bacon sushi to bacon ice cream.

Great bacon from Benton's of Tennesee, Arkansas Black Pepper bacon and Nueske's Applewood Smoked bacon. Awesome stuff!!!

Here is the link to the video ----> http://tinyurl.com/CampBacon

Be sure to watch to the end, you'll get a squeal out it!! :-) That poor pig!

Eric
    Staff Photographer
    Detroit Free Press

so where do we purchase said bacons,
    and where is the scorecard.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    so where do we purchase said bacons....
    Wendy's uses Applewood Smoked Bacon now. I'm not sure that it's Nueske's though. It is good.

I may have to throw some bacon on the smoker next time 'round.

slows has pretty good bacon, they drench it in brown sugar & ground pepper.

For what it was worth, Bronx Bar used to have free bacon mondays, the melt-in-your-mouth kind. So good. I think they have a different supplier for bacon now as it seems chewier and thicker.

Try the thick, smoky and sweet bacon from J & M farms. They raise their pork at a small, family farm north of Romeo and it’s processed by C Roy in Yale. You can purchase it locally on Saturdays at Eastern Market. Follow the intoxicating aroma of frying bacon.

They also have German bacon that’s made from the shoulder instead of the belly. It’s sort of a mix between standard bacon, Canadian bacon and ham. When it has a nice amount of fat it is fantastic.

If that’s not enough for you, they also sell butter made the old way by their Amish neighbors. It is like nothing you can buy at a grocery store.

Great quality bacon can be found at Holiday Market in Royal Oak as well at Zingerman's in Ann Arbor

I usually find some good thick-cut bacon at Gratiot Central meat market.

jjaba would not approve of this thread.

fill me in who is jjaba and why would he or she not approve? A vegetarian perhaps???

Randys Meats,in the Gratiot Central Market,has all different kinds of bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by fooddood View Post
    Try the thick, smoky and sweet bacon from J & M farms. They raise their pork at a small, family farm north of Romeo and it’s processed by C Roy in Yale. You can purchase it locally on Saturdays at Eastern Market. Follow the intoxicating aroma of frying bacon.

They also have German bacon that’s made from the shoulder instead of the belly. It’s sort of a mix between standard bacon, Canadian bacon and ham. When it has a nice amount of fat it is fantastic.

If that’s not enough for you, they also sell butter made the old way by their Amish neighbors. It is like nothing you can buy at a grocery store.
    I strongly agree!! and his breakfast sausage links are super yummy as well. I buy all my bacon, sausage and eggs from him.

We go to Holtz Farms for eggs and R. Hirt has really good breakfast sausage, same stuff that Farmer’s Restaurant serves, I believe.

Eastern Market is just a big grocery store [[with tourists).

Greetings! To fooddood, where at the Eastern Market shall I find J&M Farms? Are they under one of the sheds? Do you know what time they generally set up shop? I ask because I'm generally down there about 5 a.m. on Sat's and don't recall seeing J&M....Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by 45thParallel View Post
    Greetings! To fooddood, where at the Eastern Market shall I find J&M Farms? Are they under one of the sheds? Do you know what time they generally set up shop? I ask because I'm generally down there about 5 a.m. on Sat's and don't recall seeing J&M....Thanks...
    I am not Fooddood but i will answer they are usually in shed 2 near Good Girls go to Paris, Zingermans and Avalon Bakery

Thanks, wintersmommy. I'll check them out. That's the same shed with the "Mushroom Guy.." Double-score this Saturday!!

Jjaba's Jewish. I wish he'd post here more often. He's funny, smart, very enigmatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Jjaba's Jewish. I wish he'd post here more often. He's funny, smart, very enigmatic.
    Andrew Zimmern is Jewish and he is a pork addict lol.

For that matter, the organizers of Camp Bacon are Jewish, too.

yep and some of the bacon experts that taught about curing pancetta were Jewish as well. Damn good bacon no matter the race, color or religion for me :-)

http://tinyurl.com/CampBacon

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I am not Fooddood but i will answer they are usually in shed 2 near Good Girls go to Paris, Zingermans and Avalon Bakery
    I didn’t see them in Shed 2 last Saturday for some reason. Hopefully they were just taking a day off or moved down to Shed 5 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by fooddood View Post
    I didn’t see them in Shed 2 last Saturday for some reason. Hopefully they were just taking a day off or moved down to Shed 5 or something.
    really...dang i cant have him taking vacations, I need both bacon and eggs and I need them tomorrow hopefully he will be there