Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Martha Reeves wants tax break

Reeves seeks tax break for housing project

Ex-councilwoman to ask for tax break for $1.3M neighborhood

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Martha Reeves has gone from Motown diva to politician and now may add housing developer to her resume.
    She's partnering with a Highland Park businessman on a $1.3 million project -- called "Martha Reeves Estates" -- and first pushed for a tax break for the plan while she was a City Council member in 2008. She put the request aside after her colleagues raised questions about the deal to build 13 homes and rehab 20 others.
    "I was told it was something she was pushing when she was here before," said Councilwoman Saunteel Jenkins, who was elected this year and whose committee will hold a hearing next week on the tax break. "Some of her colleagues pushed back and [[Reeves and the developer) dropped it."

But a month before Reeves left City Hall in 2009, Reeves and developer Rogers Carter again pursued the Neighborhood Enterprise Zone tax break from city officials for the project on McDougall Street at the Davison Freeway in Detroit.
    In a letter to an official with the Planning & Development Department, Reeves asked to meet to discuss the tax break application after the Nov. 20, 2009, council meeting, noting her term ended in December.
    Reeves owns one vacant lot within the project's boundaries, at 13151 McDougall, and said Tuesday she is trying to do something good for the neighborhood. She also said she owns 18 lots in the area.
    "I feel like I am being a good investor in the city of Detroit. The development is an act of God," Reeves said. "It is a favor for being a good investor in the city of Detroit.
    "A lot of people appreciate me for the work I do."
    When asked whether she should have pushed the project as a councilwoman, she said: "I haven't got any tax break."
    A public hearing on the tax break, which needs council approval, will be held July 1.
    [[rest of article)

**************************************************How in the world did she acquire 18 lots in this area???????
    And really who is going to pay $150,000 for a house in Highland Park when the surrounding houses go for $30,000.

Last edited by Just Amazed; June-23-10 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Just Amazed View Post
    Reeves seeks tax break for housing project

Ex-councilwoman to ask for tax break for $1.3M neighborhood

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Martha Reeves has gone from Motown diva to politician and now may add housing developer to her resume.
    She's partnering with a Highland Park businessman on a $1.3 million project -- called "Martha Reeves Estates" -- and first pushed for a tax break for the plan while she was a City Council member in 2008. She put the request aside after her colleagues raised questions about the deal to build 13 homes and rehab 20 others.
    "I was told it was something she was pushing when she was here before," said Councilwoman Saunteel Jenkins, who was elected this year and whose committee will hold a hearing next week on the tax break. "Some of her colleagues pushed back and [[Reeves and the developer) dropped it."

But a month before Reeves left City Hall in 2009, Reeves and developer Rogers Carter again pursued the Neighborhood Enterprise Zone tax break from city officials for the project on McDougall Street at the Davison Freeway in Detroit.

In a letter to an official with the Planning & Development Department, Reeves asked to meet to discuss the tax break application after the Nov. 20, 2009, council meeting, noting her term ended in December.
    Reeves owns one vacant lot within the project's boundaries, at 13151 McDougall, and said Tuesday she is trying to do something good for the neighborhood. She also said she owns 18 lots in the area.
    "I feel like I am being a good investor in the city of Detroit. The development is an act of God," Reeves said. "It is a favor for being a good investor in the city of Detroit.
    "A lot of people appreciate me for the work I do."
    When asked whether she should have pushed the project as a councilwoman, she said: "I haven't got any tax break."
    A public hearing on the tax break, which needs council approval, will be held July 1.
    [[rest of article)

**************************************************How in the world did she acquire 18 lots in this area???????
    And really who is going to pay $150,000 for a house in Highland Park when the surrounding houses go for $30,000.

She's a private citizen now. If she can pull it off, more power to her. I'm with you on the price. Even though the project will be in Detroit and not Highland Park I still don't see many people paying that much, especially in this economy.

Sounds like she feels "entitled."
    If it is an act of God, then have him help you out.
    What is it with these city leaders that whenever they get in a
    jam or want something they have to bring God into the equation?
    As it was, she felt being a council person was a part time job.
    Enough with the special favors.

...and the Lord Jesus sayeth:

"Thou shalt soakesteth thy most gullible neighbors for every public dollar possible, without fear of ridicule. For it is the ridiculers who be keeping thy black ass down in the name of Satan. In the eyes of the Lord God, dollars both virtuous and nonvirtuous are equally acceptable to the bank for constructing half-asseth slums to house the prostituteth and cracketh headeth in my Father's name."

Accountants 4:15

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    What are you talking about... they're all "entitled"...

Go ahead, give her the tax break... make it incremental based on homes sold... so when they don't sell any houses, nobody's out any money but the "developers."

I will drive by 13151 McDougall tomorrow and let everyone know whethter or not the grass is cut.

By the way, she was cited for blight violations on several properties she owned during her council tenure, and essentially made the excuse that she had so many properties, she didn't know where they all were.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; June-24-10 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Maybe she's going to take up a collection.

I hear, if you vote Republican, everyone can get a tax break [[reduction) and, add jobs to the local community by employer investment. I say that's better than giving one individual construction company a tax break, for a few months, even if it is " ...an act of God'.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mkap View Post
    I hear, if you vote Republican, everyone can get a tax break [[reduction) and, add jobs to the local community by employer investment.
    You really shouldn't believe everything you hear.

Something is odd with the numbers quoted. It is a $1,300,000 project to build 13 houses and renovate 20. How could one do all of that for that amount? And if you could, the new houses would have to be constructed for way less than $100,000 each.

I doubt these houses will ever be built. 3 will be started, half finished, then the money will disappear and so will the developer .

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    I doubt these houses will ever be built. 3 will be started, half finished, then the money will disappear and so will the developer .
    Only to open a new business and start all over again. I've worked with my share of those. I'll take the tax reductions for all. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    You really shouldn't believe everything you hear.
    Maybe I shouldn't, but it beats just giving the tax breaks to the rich, or 'free' social programs to the second, third, forth generation welfare poor. They both seem to want more than their fair share. And either way we pay. I'll stick to my vote until there is a viable middle ground alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Something is odd with the numbers quoted. It is a $1,300,000 project to build 13 houses and renovate 20. How could one do all of that for that amount? And if you could, the new houses would have to be constructed for way less than $100,000 each.
    Simple. Look at the last "development" project out Highland Park way.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17203057/detail.html

Bearinabox Guest

Maybe I shouldn't, but it beats just giving the tax breaks to the rich, or 'free' social programs to the second, third, forth generation welfare poor. They both seem to want more than their fair share. And either way we pay. I'll stick to my vote until there is a viable middle ground alternative.
    If that's what you see in the Republican platform, I'm not sure what to say to you. It's hard to debate policy with someone who resides in an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    If she already owns the properties, it's not as expensive as one might think, especially if the new houses use a simple framing plan and don't require high-end finishes.

On the "renovation" side, she might be talking about work as simple as new paint.

If that's what you see in the Republican platform, I'm not sure what to say to you. It's hard to debate policy with someone who resides in an alternate universe.
    Ingest what was written, not what you think was written. I didn't say I liked it. I just inferred there is no alternative... yet.

I still say cut the taxes for all 'tax payers'. I'm sorry you don't agree. Now, what about that, don't you like?? Unless, of course, you don't pay any, and are on one of those forth or fifth generation welfare tickets. Then I suppose I get where your'e coming from. Somethin' for nothin' kinda ursidaeinabox.

Unless, of course, you don't pay any, and are on one of those forth or fifth generation welfare tickets. Then I suppose I get where your'e coming from. Somethin' for nothin' kinda ursidaeinabox.
    Ah yes, more of the welfare queen propaganda. The right loves to rehash old myths since there is a sucker born every minute.

Bearinabox Guest

Ingest what was written, not what you think was written. I didn't say I liked it. I just inferred there is no alternative... yet.
    Here is what you said:
    I hear, if you vote Republican, everyone can get a tax break [[reduction) and, add jobs to the local community by employer investment.
    My point is that I don't think that's a likely outcome of voting Republican. Unless you agree on that point, I'm not sure where even to start debating the merits of your proposed economic development policy. Not to mention that citywide offices in Detroit are nonpartisan, so I'm not sure how one would go about voting Republican here.
    I still say cut the taxes for all 'tax payers'. I'm sorry you don't agree. Now, what about that, don't you like??
    I have two very simple objections:

1. It's not a proven or successful economic development strategy.
    2. Our current tax revenue is insufficient to balance the books or to provide an acceptable level of basic services. I don't know how you expect us to make do with even less.
    Unless, of course, you don't pay any, and are on one of those forth or fifth generation welfare tickets. Then I suppose I get where your'e coming from. Somethin' for nothin' kinda ursidaeinabox.
    Yep, you got me. I'm a proud "forth-generation" [sic] welfare recipient. Good thing suckers like you are so diligent and hard-working, cause otherwise I might actually be forced to take advantage of the ample job prospects here in Detroit, get myself out of abject hand-to-mouth poverty, and have a halfway decent life for a change! Thank you, Mkap, for all you do to subsidize my continued suffering. Poverty by choice is a beautiful thing.

2. Our current tax revenue is insufficient to balance the books or to provide an acceptable level of basic services. I don't know how you expect us to make do with even less.
    Thank you, Mkap, for all you do to subsidize my continued suffering. Poverty by choice is a beautiful thing.
    The big D gets what it deserves regarding the tax base, or lack thereof. Now that you own it, do something with it besides complain. Or, move to a community more condusive to the services you require. I got while the gettin' was good.

No thanks neccessary. Just doing the right thing by you and yours. I guess poverty ain't what it used to be, huh?

I can't discuss with someone who can't reason. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Ah yes, more of the welfare queen propaganda. The right loves to rehash old myths since there is a sucker born every minute.
    Sorry, Dude, I'm not 'right'.

Old myths? No, basic reality. No Catostomidae or subordinate shoot here. You don't know what I know.

Bearinabox Guest

The big D gets what it deserves regarding the tax base, or lack thereof. Now that you own it, do something with it besides complain. Or, move to a community more condusive to the services you require. I got while the gettin' was good.
    You're missing my point, which is that large across-the-board tax cuts really aren't feasible given the size of our budget hole. I'm not complaining about the lack of services in Detroit, I'm simply stating the fact that they don't measure up to what is expected of a major city in 21st-century America. If you care to dispute that fact, I'm all ears.

BTW, what do you mean by the phrase "now that you own it?" Who am I, and what do I own?
    No thanks neccessary. Just doing the right thing by you and yours. I guess poverty ain't what it used to be, huh?
    Did I not lay on the sarcasm thick enough there? I thought the phrase "ample job prospects here in Detroit" would have been sufficient to set off even the least sensitive of sarcasm detectors.
    Last edited by Bearinabox; June-24-10 at 05:28 PM.

You're missing my point, which is that large across-the-board tax cuts really aren't feasible given the size of our budget hole. I'm not complaining about the lack of services in Detroit, I'm simply stating the fact that they don't measure up to what is expected of a major city in 21st-century America. If you care to dispute that fact, I'm all ears.

BTW, what do you mean by the phrase "now that you own it?" Who am I, and what do I own?
    Did I not lay on the sarcasm thick enough there? I thought the phrase "ample job prospects here in Detroit" would have been sufficient to set off even the least sensitive of sarcasm detectors.
    No dispute there but, it doesn't have to be large cuts. Small incremental steps to draw new blood into the city. People are moving out, of this once great city, because they miss those 'expected' needs. That's why I decided to head for the hills. Couldn't get a police officer when I needed one in my neighborhood. I didn't complain either, I just sank a for sale sign the next day. Now, I see cruisers in my area all the time, and I like that. My basic, as well as crucial, needs are met.

It seems that the 'budget hole' you describe is like, what comes first, the chicken or the egg. I don't think D has any other choice but to cut taxes to institute a reversal of what is happening now. The masses are leaving. Maybe not as fast as in the 70's or 80's, but leaving just the same.

I'm no financial genius, but if I were in control I'd be pulling a Robert Bobb and reducing whatever it takes to be fiscally responsible.
    1) Reduce the staggering business tax [[I know, I know, that's the State, but still...) to get fresh owners who pay property tax, and wages to people, who in turn pay the city employment tax.
    2) Reduce the cities employment tax so the people who come back to the city to work will, occasionally, spend some of that cash near where they work.

It has to start someplace to reverse the monstrous damage that has been caused in the last forty years of some of the previous administrations lack of forethought. Some of the less intelligent people in the area saw it coming. Why didn't the smart ones? Probably because they needed to be right, more than the many must be wrong. Power does that to some, I guess.
    ----------------------
    What I meant was, I no longer have a vested interest in the city. You, the people who still live and or work there, 'own it'. Very little of my tax dollars are there. Although, I truly wish things could be different.

Rebub or dem is she up do date on her taxes for her various existing projects?

That would NOT be the strangest or most unusual outcome......
    Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast