Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fireworks: why so early?

So I was planning on watching the fireworks this year. I recall that usually they were around the 24th-30th of June, usually on a Thursday-Sat, typically early in the 4th of July holiday season but not that early. Then, earlier today, a friend dropped the bomb that they were actually tonight. A Monday night... Well call me a nitpicker or a baby or whatever, but why on earth are the Detroit/Windsor fireworks so early in the year, and whose bright idea was it to hold the event on a Monday night when everyone has to get to work tomorrow morning?

Lamest. Fireworks. Ever.

Since we're talking fireworks, might as well throw this out there too... where/when are the suburbs blowing stuff up this year? One of my favorites is Sylvan Lake. They are on the 4th of July at dusk this year. Yes, they actually celebrate Independence Day on Independence Day...what a concept...

I thought the same too. I thought the Fireworks were to celebrate either Canada's or the US' Independence Days. Obviously that thought's gone out the window. This is by far the earliest I've ever recall the Fireworks being held. Odd.

Maybe our broke city got a deal from the Fireworks people if they went a week early.

The only thing I can think of is that alot of people including myself didn't realize the fireworks where until a few days ago, and maybe they somehow planned that to thin out the crowds.

I'm guessing it was to coincide with the Detroit River Days. They won't have to set up any barriers or have more cops on overtime twice in the span of about a week.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Maybe our broke city got a deal from the Fireworks people if they went a week early.
    City doesn't pay for 'em.

Always takes place late June...although this is a bit early it is the 'kick off' for the Freedom Festival between US/Detroit and CA/Windsor

Yeah, it seems to have gotten earlier and earlier over the years... in any event I just tuned out. I was in a suburban Meijers shopping when they were going off. I was not about to deal with the crowd. Though I live not to far from Woodward in Detroit and usually go there, near downtown and watch without all the drama of the crowds. I like the one they do in Royal Oak near the zoo later near the fourth. Though it gets really smoky. The big on in Detroit seems less smoky as it is done on the water....... Sometimes I go to the one in Dearborn too.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    So I was planning on watching the fireworks this year. I recall that usually they were around the 24th-30th of June, usually on a Thursday-Sat, typically early in the 4th of July holiday season but not that early. Then, earlier today, a friend dropped the bomb that they were actually tonight. A Monday night... Well call me a nitpicker or a baby or whatever, but why on earth are the Detroit/Windsor fireworks so early in the year, and whose bright idea was it to hold the event on a Monday night when everyone has to get to work tomorrow morning?

Lamest. Fireworks. Ever.

Since we're talking fireworks, might as well throw this out there too... where/when are the suburbs blowing stuff up this year? One of my favorites is Sylvan Lake. They are on the 4th of July at dusk this year. Yes, they actually celebrate Independence Day on Independence Day...what a concept...

Default Firework Dates for Michigan!

Not sure why it was on Monday, but it's usually the Wednesday of the week before Canada Day. Canada Day is next Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeme View Post
    I'm guessing it was to coincide with the Detroit River Days. They won't have to set up any barriers or have more cops on overtime twice in the span of about a week.
    I think that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post

Lamest. Fireworks. Ever.
    I don't know what you were expecting, but I thought they were pretty good.
    Relax.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    I don't know what you were expecting, but I thought they were pretty good.
    Relax.
    Ditto...they were awesome and we had a great time..

I for one am glad that the event is prior to the 4th since we are always up north for the 4th. I also think its a nice way to end Riverdays.

They may as well hold them in May.

bartock Guest

Since we're talking fireworks, might as well throw this out there too... where/when are the suburbs blowing stuff up this year? One of my favorites is Sylvan Lake. They are on the 4th of July at dusk this year. Yes, they actually celebrate Independence Day on Independence Day...what a concept...[/quote]

This Sunday is the Grosse Pointe one. Mack and Vernier [[just south of the library branch, north of CVS.

It has totally to do with River Days festival. I think it's stupid myself, I always liked the traditional Wednesday before the 4th. Moving it to coincide with the River festival I am pretty sure was a permanent move two years ago. Sucks.

DetroitPole Guest

Yeah, free entertainment and a chance to see your family, freinds and neighbors and the city teeming with happy party people SUCKS.

If only they would accomodate MY schedule.

Well, I had a great time and saw some friends I barely see. Had some good beer and enjoyed the weather. Tired today but that is what coffee is for. When I'm on my deathbed, I don't want to remember all the time I've spent in suburban Meijers.

Here's a listing... I'm sure there are other listings:

http://michiganfireworks.com/by_date/
    Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post

This Sunday is the Grosse Pointe one. Mack and Vernier [[just south of the library branch, north of CVS.

Um, er - I think you took my Meijers visit way too far. LOL! I went there after leaving an evening class which could not be cancelled for ANY fireworks as we are in finals. Hah! Been to the fireworks Detroit and other fireworks over a 40+ year span over my life, may go to the Detroit one again, maybe not. It's not that big of deal "either" way and I doubt I was missed amidst the masses. Meet you at the one in Royal Oak in a couple of weeks... LOL!

See other slated fireworks events:

http://michiganfireworks.com/by_date/
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Yeah, free entertainment and a chance to see your family, freinds and neighbors and the city teeming with happy party people SUCKS.

If only they would accomodate MY schedule.

Well, I had a great time and saw some friends I barely see. Had some good beer and enjoyed the weather. Tired today but that is what coffee is for. When I'm on my deathbed, I don't want to remember all the time I've spent in suburban Meijers.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-22-10 at 10:15 AM.

The U.S. Social Forum has Hart Plaza for the week. They moved the fireworks up to accomodate.

The suburban fireworks are OK, but if you are into fireworks, they are not in the same league or even close. The Freedom Festival fireworks, with three barges on the Detroit River, are world class and some of the biggest and most sophisticated anywhere.

BTW, if you want the fireworks but not the huge crowds, they have had basically the same show [[but with only 2 barges) during the Jazz Fest, where you can comfortably watch without a huge crowd from the foot of Hart Plaza with the huge fireworks going off literally over your head.

The freedom fest is the biggest and most spectacular. No doubt! Once I watched it on a big screen TV and was shocked at how good it still looked. My best time was seeing them from the veteran memorial building riverside about 25 years ago. Just wonderful. We waited for the crowds to die down then left. That's the best way to avoid the crush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianni View Post
    The suburban fireworks are OK, but if you are into fireworks, they are not in the same league or even close. The Freedom Festival fireworks, with three barges on the Detroit River, are world class and some of the biggest and most sophisticated anywhere.

BTW, if you want the fireworks but not the huge crowds, they have had basically the same show [[but with only 2 barges) during the Jazz Fest, where you can comfortably watch without a huge crowd from the foot of Hart Plaza with the huge fireworks going off literally over your head.

Is there still a Freedom Festival? We watched the fireworks on Channel 4 and Carmen said it was for "River Days" [[btw, the audio on Channel 4 was terrible, the sound kept fading in and out). On the other hand the fireworks were great.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    The U.S. Social Forum has Hart Plaza for the week. They moved the fireworks up to accomodate.
    Yep -- this is correct. I didn't know that the 'works were Monday until yesterday afternoon, though. Maybe next year, I'll once again have a place where I can see 'em from my windows.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    I do recall a news report from earlier this year that mention that the city was moving the fireworks to an earlier date. I believe the availability of Hart Plaza was the reason for moving up the fireworks.

I quite liked the fireworks this year. I'm not sure why they were earlier but I believe either last year or the year before they were also on the 21st. This year seems even earlier because we still have 2 Wednesdays to go in the month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast