Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default At least we're not Chicago???

If Chicago's not careful, the media might actually start focusing on their crime problem instead of ours.

Why are folks always trying to slam Chicago on this board, I really can't understand it. If the media focuses attention on Chicago, how does that change the crime issue in Detroit?

Hahaha. Yes, that's right. We're always slamming Chicago here. Whatevs ...

lilpup Guest

It changes the perception of crime in Detroit by showing that Detroit really isn't a freakish anomaly with regards to crime. If Chicago is perceived as more safe than it really is that's a benefit when luring visitors, conventions, and business in general - a benefit that Detroit doesn't enjoy thanks to the incessant negative spin Detroit gets.

This is true of any major metro area. Did you notice the pass LA got for the disturbances after the NBA championship? Had it happened in Detroit the word 'riot' would have been prevalent - not so in other cities.

Chicago has so much more going for it though, unlike Detroit. One can even argue crime isn't the biggest obstacle in Detroit [[which is sad).

Besides, they have a vibrant downtown, walkable neighborhoods, mass transit, a decent economy [[despite the depresison) and chain grocery stores within the city limits [[including 2 Wal-Marts).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Chicago has so much more going for it though, unlike Detroit. One can even argue crime isn't the biggest obstacle in Detroit [[which is sad).

Besides, they have a vibrant downtown, walkable neighborhoods, mass transit, a decent economy [[despite the depresison) and chain grocery stores within the city limits [[including 2 Wal-Marts).
    I'm no Chicago expert, but some of my friends who've lived there say it's more racially charged than Detroit proper. Like, we were some of the few white folks hanging at the Carpet House and everybody was very nice to us. But they said that if that were Chicago, we would not be welcome at all. At least on that narrow point, I'll take Detroit.

lilpup Guest

The whole chain grocery store bit is a really tiresome red herring. Now how about you tell us what you know about Chicago's homelessness problem? Yes, there are street people in the Loop both day and night [[especially visible at night) as well as Chicago's less glittering neighborhoods?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm no Chicago expert, but some of my friends who've lived there say it's more racially charged than Detroit proper. Like, we were some of the few white folks hanging at the Carpet House and everybody was very nice to us. But they said that if that were Chicago, we would not be welcome at all. At least on that narrow point, I'll take Detroit.
    I've heard the same. A white friend who was an aspiring DJ wanted to get off a bus in a certain neighborhood so he could go to a party but the non-white driver wouldn't let him off, telling him he'd get killed if he got off there. He ended up getting off down the line and walking back to where he wanted to go. So was the driver being honest in her belief or did she just not want to accommodate a white boy who wanted to go to a non-white neighborhood?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    If Chicago's not careful, the media might actually start focusing on their crime problem instead of ours.
    Huffington Post started a Chicago section after Obama got elected. They've been picking up on stuff. Today they had Chicago Violence: At Least 40 Shot, Seven Dead Over the Weekend.

Chicago has 2.8 million people, Detroit maybe 700,000. Divide these numbers by four, spread them out over the weekend, and they were on par with us. The difference is that in Chicago most of the violence and crime happen on the south and west sides, while Detroit's crime envelopes the vast majority of the city. You can park a Dodge Neon or a Jeep Cherokee on the street in many Chicago neighborhoods and it will still be there the next morning, while it isn't even safe to do so in Warren, Eastpointe, Harper Woods, Oak Park, Hazel Park, or Southfield anymore.

The difference is some of us Chicago residents go about our daily lives without ever thinking about crime or considering we'd be a victim. I'm talking about South Loop, Loop, West Loop, Near North, and the rest of the whole Northside. Worrying that our train will be delayed making us 5 minutes late for work is a much bigger concern then getting mugged. As for the rest of the city.....yeah they got a hell of a lot of work to do.

I'm no Chicago expert, but some of my friends who've lived there say it's more racially charged than Detroit proper.
    Well you are correct. I know many people from personal experience can testify to this.

It's no secret that downtown and the vicinity has a ridiculous amount of police presence to prevent crimes from happening. It's all about maintaining a glamorous squeaky clean image. It's not to say Detroit can't do the same, but would that be right?

The next big obstacle is fix your blight problem. Drive in on any one of our expressways here in Chicago and abandonment is something you won't see too much of. Certainly parts along the Ryan are a bit worn, but we are working on that. But coming in on the Kennedy from the airport is a great experience as you pass by well kept historic neighborhoods with renovated lofts and new townhouses, then suddenly the impressive Chicago skyline.

It's all about impressions, but I would be lying if I didn't say we had similar problems. We have almost the same exact number of vacant properties as Detroit although certainly in much better shape...but maybe not for long. We've suffered from heavy population loss in the past and our schools are in need of assistance.

We just hope on your next visit to our city, you wont see or think of that. Just enjoy the pier, the parks and Michigan Ave.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    Chicago has 2.8 million people, Detroit maybe 700,000. Divide these numbers by four, spread them out over the weekend, and they were on par with us. The difference is that in Chicago most of the violence and crime happen on the south and west sides, while Detroit's crime envelopes the vast majority of the city. You can park a Dodge Neon or a Jeep Cherokee on the street in many Chicago neighborhoods and it will still be there the next morning, while it isn't even safe to do so in Warren, Eastpointe, Harper Woods, Oak Park, Hazel Park, or Southfield anymore.
    I'll bet you jump all over people who use such ameliorating arguments about Detroit crime, don't you?

And converting numbers from raw to rates is just PR sanitation. One shot or killed is one shot or killed.

For the record, most of the crimes reported above occurred deep within Chicago's worst neighborhoods. If you want to avoid being a victim, I suppose you could just avoid driving through these areas or hanging around the projects, unless that's your type of thing.

The closest I've gotten to one of those above areas is the 300 block of Hastings. Alot of remnants of CHA's old project housing over there. I'm assuming the answer to this situation will be to flatten that area out of existence, and gentrify the hell out of it with new lofts and townhomes like they did with Cabrini Green, University Village, Roosevelt Square, etc etc etc

Yes Atleast ! I mean Drudge has posted the news up high on his site "52 shot-8 dead in Chicago's deadly weekend.
    Horrible news, horrible people in many cases I'm sure.
    Most the murders were in very crappy far out south suburbs that might as well be Gary Indiana instead of Chicago Illinois. Some of the worst neighborhoods in the nation I'm sure.

Its not that hard to stay safe in Chicago but when the whole metro is suspect staying safe can be um a bit more dicey.

Good luck to those in the bad areas. I live in the bad part of town here and its very safe. Very happy for that.

Bearinabox Guest

You can park a Dodge Neon or a Jeep Cherokee on the street in many Chicago neighborhoods and it will still be there the next morning, while it isn't even safe to do so in Warren, Eastpointe, Harper Woods, Oak Park, Hazel Park, or Southfield anymore.
    This is news to me.

neighbor Guest

The only difference between Chicago and Detroit is Chicago IS a great city and Detroit WAS a great city.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Forget About Chicago, Las Vegas is where it's at!

Seriously, Las Vegas, Nevada has overtaken us in a multitude of lists. Just look at the headlines;

Vegas Beats Detroit For 'Most Abandoned City'

Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010: Michigan and Alaska see biggest improvement, while Nevada tops the list

Unemployment rate: Michigan, Nevada trade places as No. 1 jobless state

I won't comment on where Las Vegas and Nevada is headed, but I will point out that they are banking on a bunch of big renaissance projects like The MGM City Center to save it. We'll see how that works out for them...

Anything to draw negative attention away from Detroit is a good thing.

Uh yeah - news to me too. I live in Hazel Park and we park cars [[new ones even - can you believe folks here can even afford them?! ) on the street all the time with no issues. Where do you get your information from?

Michigan Guest

It is funny to me that Detroiters are as insecure about Chicago as Chicagoans are about New York. Meanwhile, Chicagoans are as unaware of Detroit as New Yorkers are of Chicago!

I don't think we're insecure. Just wondering why detroit is dogged in the media more than any other major city. I remember the gas station shooting being one of the top stories while the chicago weekend violence gets minimal attention. In the Chicago article, their are many references to the south, and west side of Chicago. I'm not from Chicago, but what I took away from the article was most of the violence happens only of the south, and westside based on the wording of the article. Had that been in Detroit the media would've had a field day with quotes like, "Detroit has gone madd", or "Detroit is out of control" It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Hate to ask the obvious question. Why are you here instead of there?

2 Wal-marts doesn't sound impressive. It sounds ghetto.

^^^^ The argument could be made that since it's 'normal' for Chicago, it isn't news but since it's less normal for Detroit, it gets more attention.

bartock Guest

Despite the increase in security, Harper Woods is notorious for car theft at Eastland Mall. If you park your car on those streets - Kelly, Vernier or Beaconsfield - your car probably won't be stolen, but it probably won't be there the next morning, either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast