Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Question to ask

Default Question to ask

Had anyone heard of an alleged gang fight that had occured on the Riverwalk this past weekend? I don't know if it was true or not. Someone had also said that horse mounted police were used to break up the the alledged melee.

No, this is new to me. I've never seen any fights on the riverwalk, ever.

Question to ask: Can we have some decent titles for these threads? It takes, like, two seconds to come up with a good title that will not waste people's time. Please do it, OK? Seriously, some rumor? I want those five seconds back.

Michigan Guest

Question to ask. East side or west side?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Question to ask: Can we have some decent titles for these threads? It takes, like, two seconds to come up with a good title that will not waste people's time. Please do it, OK? Seriously, some rumor? I want those five seconds back.
    I share your pain but also doubt the vague title problem will ever vanish completely.

Here's tip: If you hover your mouse pointer over the title it gives you some more info about the first post. It might save you a wasted click.

Is this important enough for its own thread?

What is important is that the Riverwalk is absolutely safe, perhaps the safest place in the city. You can stoll around at 2 AM after the bars close and be fine. But I heard the pigs are trying to close it early, which is insane. I've been on the river walk as late as 4 AM and there was still many people out, and no not crack heads!!!!

The Riverwalk is one of the most vibrant places in the city, and stays vibrant all through out the day and night. Closing it early is plain stupid and counter to the plans of the city to make Detroit a vibrant place.

I'm not concerned about fights, because if anything happens it probably gets broken up. There are cops scattered about. And there is security boxes every 100 feet or so.

If you are afraid to walk the Riverwalk, you must be afraid to walk in any major city in the U.S., and you should just go hide under a rock in the suburbs.

I live near there and haven't heard anything of a gang fight. It's very safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I share your pain but also doubt the vague title problem will ever vanish completely.

Here's tip: If you hover your mouse pointer over the title it gives you some more info about the first post. It might save you a wasted click.
    You can't always tell from more info. And it seems a courteous, friendly thing to do to come up with a good title. I'm not really being strident, but every time I see this I think it's fair to comment on it and remind our fellow posters to show a bit of forethought when they post. Why? Because we all appreciate it so much.

DetroitPole Guest

Here is my two cents...

In the past couple months alone this is my third incident of "riot" or "gang" hearsay.

The other two were related to warm evenings on Belle Isle, and no, they weren't referring to the actual riot.

It has become pretty clear to me that if you get a few young black men in one location and if they start raising their voices[[or something besides attending church apparently) it becomes a "riot" or a "gang" to certain people.

I've jogged the circumference of Belle Isle on hot summer evenings with cruisers and music everywhere and no one has EVER been disrespectful to me, let alone violent, and I have never encountered a problem on the Riverwalk.

Thank you DetroitPole

I'd like to know where all these lies/rumors are coming from. Sounds like suburban anxiety/fear turning into hallucinations and then on to rumors.

Shit happens everywhere, including the suburbs. But violence on Belle Isle or the Riverwalk is a very very rare occurrence and poses no threat to visitors.

I heard about this a few weeks ago when they suddenly imposed the 10pm closing of the Riverwalk...I was told there was a big fight that took a handful of police to break up, they also said that a special meeting was called the next morning between the Conservency and the mayors office who decided to impose the curfew . I did not hear that it was gang related, sounded much more like a fight between a few people that got out of hand. The person who told me this is a reliable source with a vested stake in the Riverwalk and they were arguing that if they just increased the police presence at night that fighting would not much of an issue...

I hate to promote the negative and I agree with everyone else here who said the Riverwalk is safe and I have never had a single issue ever..

But if they declare a curfew then they get to write tickets for people who use it after dark. Sounds like a money-maker: Champion your riverfront, then ticket people who use it after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I love it. I'll quick post something like "Asking A Question" and put the request in the body of the text. Jimaz is right, 'hover' dude, 'hover'.

PS, you never get those five seconds back, and you'd only waste them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I love it. I'll quick post something like "Asking A Question" and put the request in the body of the text. Jimaz is right, 'hover' dude, 'hover'.

Speaking of time wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post

What's the point in having a title if you aren't gonna be take the effort to be the least bit descriptive? Is that too much to ask?

Because if not, then here's a thought: Why doesn't Lowell just program the site so that we can only choose from four different titles for each post:

1. Asking a Question
    2. Telling a Story
    3. Bitching about the suburbs
    4. Bitching about Detroit

That would at least save the o/p the 10 seconds of brain power to come up with a descriptive headline.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Is this important enough for its own thread?

What is important is that the Riverwalk is absolutely safe, perhaps the safest place in the city. You can stoll around at 2 AM after the bars close and be fine. But I heard the pigs are trying to close it early, which is insane. I've been on the river walk as late as 4 AM and there was still many people out, and no not crack heads!!!!

The Riverwalk is one of the most vibrant places in the city, and stays vibrant all through out the day and night. Closing it early is plain stupid and counter to the plans of the city to make Detroit a vibrant place.

I'm not concerned about fights, because if anything happens it probably gets broken up. There are cops scattered about. And there is security boxes every 100 feet or so.

If you are afraid to walk the Riverwalk, you must be afraid to walk in any major city in the U.S., and you should just go hide under a rock in the suburbs.

Is there ANY topic that you don't turn into an anti-suburb tirade? You really need to get over your issues with the Suburbs.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Is there ANY topic that you don't turn into an anti-suburb tirade? You really need to get over your issues with the Suburbs.
    Sadly, no. Him and DD are cut of the same "fuck the suburbs" cloth.

Default Question...

If the Tigers play 81 home games a year within 1/4-mile of Ford Field, what is the hypotenuse of the doghouse roof?

Is Riverwalk really closed at 10PM now? That's so sad.

Ok Ok ladies and gents; the reason why I didn't put a title on the thread pertaining to the rumour for I didn't want to use a "Rumour" as the attention getter. I was not trying to incite any incidents or say that blacks who get into an altercation are members of a gang.That is why I had used the title "Question to ask" instead of "Rumored brawl at Riverwalk".

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Ok Ok ladies and gents; the reason why I didn't put a title on the thread pertaining to the rumour for I didn't want to use a "Rumour" as the attention getter. I was not trying to incite any incidents or say that blacks who get into an altercation are members of a gang.That is why I had used the title "Question to ask" instead of "Rumored brawl at Riverwalk".
    Lame excuse.

Default Reassuring Comment...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    LOL, Stasu, you really walked right into something there.
    Somebody started a thread titled "Question..." just the other day to ask some kind of a convoluted question related to how many home games the Tigers and Lions play - it wasn't very well worded, I for one plum didn't get it. At one point, a couple of folks made like they had deciphered the confusing text as being a trick question that asked how many home games those two teams had on the same day, or something similarly random. In any event, it was a bit of a fail that this board took quite some pleasure in ridiculing. A second thread with that same title was started a day or two later in order to continue the onslaught, and much in the way of hilarity and non-sequiturs ensued. So you just full-on walked right into something unrelated there with your thread title.
    For what it's worth, you for one really weren't going to win around here. Starting a thread with a title about the rumors you have heard about Riverwalk would only have reminded everyone of the rumored conspiracy of Detroit's mortgage lenders and Detroit's home strippers that has, as its ultimate goal, the gentrification of Detroit's poorest neighborhoods and their redevelopment as middle-class enclaves. By way of blight, you see. I happen to be one of a group of DYers who was ridiculed for bothering to engage, actually engage, the OP in a discussion of whether this could really be happening.
    So you see, you were just in for it, no matter what approach you took. Not your fault. Take it in stride. Besides, it's a barrel of laughs, friend.
    Last edited by fryar; June-22-10 at 05:38 AM.

Dumb thread is dumb... Rumors are just that, rumors... and "asking" about them on internet forums only succeeds in spreading those rumors. Sorry, but this is a low point for DYes.

Just what we need around here - rumors of gang fights on the Riverwalk.

As if we don't have enough crap to deal with in this city, now we have our own posting rumors on the internet.

Lovely.