Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Missionaries arrested at Arab festival in Dearborn

Hmmm... at least they weren't thrown to the lions.

"Four Christian missionaries trying to convert Muslims were arrested and jailed Friday for disorderly conduct at an Arab festival in Dearborn, police said."

"The Free Press reported last year on the growing number of evangelical Christians targeting Dearborn to convert Muslims."

Full Freep article

I think these four should be happy they don't follow Sharia Law down there.

I wonder HOW disorderly they really were, or if they got that merely by their presence.

I cannot see the video...I'm up in a fringe cell area of the UP right now...but from the description on his blog page, it DOES seem like they were not causing a stir by their words and actions, but merely by their presence.

Similar thing happened last year, and they got both that and all this on videotape. Seems they were set up by a liar. Go figure. We'll see how this ends up in court, since YOU started it Lowell...I'm guessing you'll follow up on this?! Heh.

We wouldn't want even the appearance of imbalanced reporting now, would we?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I think these four should be happy they don't follow Sharia Law down there.

I wonder HOW disorderly they really were, or if they got that merely by their presence.
    I wonder if missionaries show up at other ethnic festivals.

They would call themselves evangelicals in a more friendly environment.

I know of British Christian churches who have sent people to the US as missionaries, because of the reports they heard.

It is all do-gooderism gone awry...trying to enforce your views upon another...but in this land of supposedly free speech, I am wondering where the offense truly is...because from the reports, the young men challenging them should've been the ones arrested!

Once I view the videos, if they are complete and not edited, I'll have some opinion on the totality of the situation...for now I only have one fellow's words, and the reported actions of the Dearborn Police department.

Fact that the cops went after the video cameras FIRST may be telling...what's up with that?! Oh yeah, it is against the law to record police activity. That is one bullshit law that will have to go away and quickly. Too many abuses and outright LIES from officers protecting their own have been reversed by a convenient video camera.

I go to festivals to enjoy the food and other events.

Those events don't include having someone argue with me/"discuss" why their god is better...

I went to the Arab-American Festival to explore the exotic Islamic culture, history and music. There were lots of Christian Churches in the festival and most of them did not harm or disrupt Muslim traditions. Christians continue to spread the message of Jesus Christ to every nation of the Earth in order to have man being in the realtionship with God and have right to the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever those Christian missionaries did, they did it for God's will; converting the lost, get them to repent and seek Jesus and his kingdom. They don't need to be arrested just by spreading the Gospel.

These jerks have been there for the last few years. They are there for on reason. To start shit. They set up people to get them all upset and then they film it to make it look like its the Arab's fault. This is no differnt than the so called Christians that show up at gay pride events and tell everyone they will burn in hell.

I'm in agreement with mike... these missionaries knew exactly what they were doing: stirring people up. I wonder how they would feel if Muslims targeted Christian gatherings in the same way.

Here's another Free Press article by the same reporter, form last fall:

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/inde..._target_d.html

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Whatever those Christian missionaries did, they did it for God's will; converting the lost, get them to repent and seek Jesus and his kingdom.
    Ohhh, puhleeeeeeezeee!!

Under other circumstances those "missionaries" would be called outside agitators.

That guy from California obviously didn't have enough faith in our local whackos so he had to cross the country to show them how it's done. They probably think they are getting in on the ground floor of Armageddon.
    Last edited by maxx; June-21-10 at 12:56 PM.

littlebuddy Guest

I've had Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door and seen them handing out their magazines and was always non-confrontational, but most people are really bothered by them, which I think is more because of what people preceive they believe, than that they are confrontational, not saying there hasn't been some that have been. I think it is much the same way with these missionaries at the Arab Fest. I think it is just the idea that they are there bothers plenty of people and some look to pick a fight and are looking for a confrontation. I've seen christians handing out lit. at the Silverdoom when the JW's had their big rally and it was non-confrontational. Why should it bother anyone if someone comes up to you and asks you a question in a nice way and you are not interested and they leave you alone and you leave them alone.

It is all do-gooderism gone awry...trying to enforce your views upon another...but in this land of supposedly free speech, I am wondering where the offense truly is...because from the reports, the young men challenging them should've been the ones arrested!
    there is nothing "doo-gooder" about this at all. If this is the same group as was there last year, he explicitly stated later that their goal was to start a riot to show people just how peaceful these muslims are. nasty little assholes

Seriously, is this the most appropriate place to start recruiting?

Or is it over zealous grandstanding in hopes of gaining some sort of publicity?

Thanks for that in-fill, Rb.

If that is the case, then I hope they get what they deserve...both here and in the here-after.

Just another case of egotistical folks misunderstanding a great teacher's words.

I wonder which other cheek they would turn when struck.

I never will forget my staid and conservative Messianic Jewish mentor's words, "Scripture may say that you will be persecuted because of Jesus, but it may just be 'cause you're acting like an asshole."

That man had some wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
    ... these missionaries knew exactly what they were doing: stirring people up. I wonder how they would feel if Muslims targeted Christian gatherings in the same way.
    http://www.cleveland.com/nation/inde..._target_d.html
    Muslims target Christians in the same way and have for years.
    Also this was an Arab Festival, not a Muslim festival. Many Arabs in attendance were Christians.

Who hates the Hari Krishnas? Maybe people are just bothered by Christians.
    I say that the festival is a public square and that the UAW can go and try to recruit and the christian missionaries can as well. I think Arab Americans may have a cultural heritage of repression and so they are wrongly outraged when outsiders show up at a public event on American soil.

We have free speech and access to the public square.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Ohhh, puhleeeeeeezeee!!
    Christianity is not some same ole' other religious cult. It's a full Nation with spiritual ideals under God.

the idea behind ethnic festivals was to introduce different cultures to the larger community and a chance to demonstrate pride in one's heritage...while freedom of speech is free..it does come with responsibility... I wonder if these folks really care about the joint history between the monotheistic religions. That they worship a God that has different names but is the same in their unique scriptures...

I wonder if these people showed up at Jewish Purim Fest would they have been so eager to initiate their evangelical ways or is it playing to the politics of our times. The fact is that you will always find someone to roil if you get in enough faces...

I never will forget my staid and conservative Messianic Jewish mentor's words, "Scripture may say that you will be persecuted because of Jesus, but it may just be 'cause you're acting like an asshole."

That man had some wisdom...
    Quote of the day!

This is no different than various Protestant groups passing out anti-Catholic literature in Catholic Church parking lots after mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    This is no different than various Protestant groups passing out anti-Catholic literature in Catholic Church parking lots after mass.
    Or Catholics going to festivals with posters showing pictures after abortions.

Growing up in Dearborn, every once in a while I'd see this. I thought Muslims were pretty patient with born-again proselytizers. At my local party store, a born-again tried converting the guy behind the counter. All he said in response to the man's pleas to accept Jesus as his savior was, "Jesus was a great prophet." Finally, he courteously sent the man on his way.

Maybe that's one thing in Muslims' favor: They're less likely to bore you by trying to "save" you.

I see that these guys got arrested for being disruptive, not for being Christian.

I don't blame the Dearborn cops. Arrest anyone and everyone who does this, regardless of religion.

"I see that these guys got arrested for being disruptive, not for being Christian. I don't blame the Dearborn cops. Arrest anyone and everyone who does this, regardless of religion."

Smogboy--are you that sure you want people practicing freedom of speech to be arrested for "being disruptive?". You cannot be that stupid, can you? You don't have freedom of speech if your government arrests you because it doesn't like having to deal with what you are saying. Or having to actually protect your right to speak freely... [[God forbid the cops actually have to work rather than just take the easy way out. Arresting them , despite the paperwork, WAS the easy way out. That way they didn't have to defend someone's rights, which takes REAL work and thought.)
    The old wisdom of "I didn't speak out against tyranny because it wasn't me they were taking away" applies here. You may not like their choice of religion, their choice of where to speak out, etc... but we ALL had better protect it.
    And to those that say "you don't have a right to avoid the consequences of what you say"....You do if it's your government trying to put you in jail for it. A private company can silence it's employees, a private organization can muzzle it's members, [[or punish them somehow for speaking out) but the government can't and shouldn't be about that. Please think about about what you are saying...or perhaps you'd like the police sent to your home to arrest you for the thoughts and actions you might be "inciting" here on this board.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast