Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Illegal Fireworks

Hey does anyone know if Illegal Fireworks are now legal here in Michigan?

I thought I read somewhere that Michigan changed the law, and I noticed several places opening up as you go down I-75 towards Toledo selling Fireworks.

Did the law finally change, or are we still only allowed to use sparklers this year?

The change of the law was never voted on due to more pressing matters...so the laws for fireworks are still the same....bummer....so either its a road trip for the good stuff, or sparkelers all around......

Go to the border of Ohio on US 23. The good stuff is legal in Michigan in a few shops down there. Grandfather clause lets them keep selling. I usually go down there and load up every summer.

Yesterday Mitch Albom had a person on his radio show from DC thats works for some agency regarding fireworks and things like that. She said in about a year from now things should expand on what you can buy. The current laws are from 1966 in Michigan and that there is an attempt to gain revenue by changing the regulations.
    Another interesting thing she said is that in Ohio you can buy the good stuff, but you cant use it in the state. In fact it has to be out of the state within 72 hours of purchase.

I've heard that people from Michigan go to Ohio to buy em and people from Ohio come here. I've not been fascinated enough by them since I was a small child and had no money or way to get to the border.

Now I'm just a grumpy old man who curses at the kids lighting them off. You should really see me go nust when the Henry Ford has their fireworks [[around the 4th and Christmas). Believe it or not the sound travells pretty well up the Southfield Freeway into Warrendale at night.

I thought I read that the law was going to be changed but not soon enough for July 4th this year.

We used to make our own. One method was to take a strip of caps for a cap gun and fold it accordion-style so that all the dots line up. Then pierce them all with a clean [[less chance of igniting in your hand) pin to "connect the dots." You'll need to improvise a fuse if you don't have some on hand. Wrap the package tightly into a ball with masking tape. It blowed up real good.

Use at your own risk.

Then we made the really big one that caused gravel to rain down all over the neighborhood. !

Years ago there was a place in the country in Ohio called Miller fireworks that had good deals on cases of works.....the holiday shells were spectaculor..

Millers is great and has a huge selection. Big Fireworks is based in Lansing and has a store in Angola, Indiana. You can go to thier websites and see product demos on line. Don't get caught with M-80s, Cherry bombs or any other boot legged explosives, your looking at a felony.

Past the age of 12, what is the appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    Amen. If I want to see fireworks I'll go see the one downtown or at any one of the suburban ones that are that much more spectacular than anything I could ever purchase legally or even illegally on the border.

Even at the physical age of 30 or 40, some people are still '12' mentally.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Even at the physical age of 30 or 40, some people are still '12' mentally.
    We see that universal truth demonstrated, every day, in Detroit.
    And yes, I know that it's true everywhere else, too, but we see it in great abundance here.

However, according to David Murray's world-view, even "30 or 40" is quite young.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Hey does anyone know if Illegal Fireworks are now legal here in Michigan?

I thought I read somewhere that Michigan changed the law, and I noticed several places opening up as you go down I-75 towards Toledo selling Fireworks.

Did the law finally change, or are we still only allowed to use sparklers this year?
    As a youngster, laws had no effect on us at all. We would just shoot down Telegraph to Toledo, or go to Windsor to get the crappy stuff! Nobody in our neighborhood complained.

In my neighbor hood, back in the 60's, neighbors did complain. I can remember a cop car turning up before the smoke from some kid's cherry bomb had cleared.

I wonder too. My neighbors start from about mid June and it will go until August lighting off illegal fireworks which is really nice on a Monday night at 11:00 p.m. when everyone needs to get up for work the next day.

I wish the cops would start arresting some of these d.bags

Star Fireworks on the SEC of Sterns Road @ US-23. Mile marker 1 in Michigan just off exit ramp.

Every year at this time, it has been a tradition for myself and my sons to make the trek down near the Toledo border to purchase some "real" fireworks.
    We try to hit at least a few of the stores to find the best deal. There used to be a place called Rocky's in Michigan near the border that gave great deals but he was closed last year for some reason.
    We prefer to buy the fireworks that give nice displays yet do not shoot flaming missiles at our neighbors. We live in a rural area so that is not a problem. We get together with family and friends and enjoy our little "show". If we did not make this trip we would be forced to pay too much for boring fountains and my kids are too old to be amused by sparklers. Look, to each his own. This is the time of year when things blow up in the sky. Some people take it too far and set off explosive items every night, that's not us.
    If you have a problem with the noise, they do sell earplugs. I'm not into firecrackers or M-80s, it's just noise. However, a pretty display in the sky is something we all look forward to seeing during the fourth.
    I wish our state would hurry up and change the law so we did not have to give Ohio retailers our money. Plus, since they know Michiganders have no choice, so they like to charge us more than they need to.

This will be my first year doing any type of fireworks for my son. I stay out in southfield.

I was wondering if they any type of laws against fireworks that go into the air or anything? I dont want to order and buy fireworks and then end up with the police at my house or anything.

Looking to do like simple shooters that go into the air and do a small outburst and stuff.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmg0621 View Post
    This will be my first year doing any type of fireworks for my son. I stay out in southfield.

I was wondering if they any type of laws against fireworks that go into the air or anything? I dont want to order and buy fireworks and then end up with the police at my house or anything.

Looking to do like simple shooters that go into the air and do a small outburst and stuff.

Thanks
    If it leaves the ground or goes bang, it's illegal. Basically All the good stuff is illegal.

http://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-...4662--,00.html

EXAMPLES OF ILLEGAL FIREWORKS/EXPLOSIVES IN MICHIGAN [[THIS LIST IS NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE):
    · Cherry Bomb - A small red sphere approximately 1" in diameter.
    · Comet [[or Mine) - A cylinder containing a star and attached to a wooden base. Upon ignition, the star is thrust 50-100 feet in the air and continues to glow as it falls to the ground.
    · Firecracker - A small noisemaking cylinder up to 1.5" in length, often strung together with a fuse.
    · M-80 - Up to 2" in length, usually a red cylinder with a fuse coming out the side. This is not a firework; it is a federally banned explosive.
    · Bottle Rockets - A cylinder, frequently topped by a cone to stabilize its flight, attached to a long stick.
    · Roman Candles - A 6-12" tube containing alternating layers of compacted black powder that shoots single stars out of the top when lighted.
    · Silver Salute [[M-100) - A silver cylinder with a fuse coming out of the side containing large quantities of flash powder. This is not a firework; it is a federally banned explosive.
    · M-250 and M-1000 [[quarter-stick) - Large versions of the M-80 and M-100 that have extremely high risk factors for crippling and disfiguring injuries. This is not a firework; it is a federally banned explosive.
    · Torch - A 6-12" tube filled with colored material and ending in a handle. When ignited, streams of colors come out of the top of the tube.
    · Wheel-type Device - A firework that spins or twirls is a "wheel" and thus is neither a "cylindrical fountain" nor a "cone fountain."

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    In my neighbor hood, back in the 60's, neighbors did complain. I can remember a cop car turning up before the smoke from some kid's cherry bomb had cleared.
    We got the same issue in my neighborhood also. the police are knocking at your door a few minutes after the thing goes off.

All the police do is take your fireworks if you get caught, the key is you got to leave a small amount outside to give to the cops if the show up and leave the majority of the stuff inside where they can't see it.

Its a stupid law, its just as bad as everyone going 70 on the freeways till finally they changed most of the speed limits to 70.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Another interesting thing she said is that in Ohio you can buy the good stuff, but you cant use it in the state. In fact it has to be out of the state within 72 hours of purchase.
    Yeah, that's true. On purchase, you have to sign a waiver saying you won't shoot them off in the Buckeye state, and state where you WILL use them.

Last year, I bought some fireworks in Cincinnati right before the 4th. At the point of sale, I wrote down [[truthfully) "Cincinnati." The clerk says "sir, no no, that's in Ohio, you can't do that. I'll get another form, just write down Lawrenceburg, Indiana."

Obviously ... everyone is VERY worried about where these things are being used ... and they're NOT simply about the $$$.
    Last edited by MrNittany; July-02-10 at 09:14 PM.